Cosplay Chess!

Started by KindaRandomKris, June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Would you be interested in a game of Human Chess?

Yes, I'd take the part of a piece.
60 (70.6%)
Yes, I'd play the actual game on the smaller board.
5 (5.9%)
Yes, but I'd just watch.
14 (16.5%)
No.
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "E-Chan"Zagato: yeah, the notation's going to be important. Umm... I'll need to learn it to. Maybe we put the numbers on the squares?

I was thinking of putting the notation on the board when I made it. Didn't know if it was a good idea, but I think I will.

Pwaha. I knew the notations! I'm so remember-iffic. I just need to learn the notation for attacking/capturing/etc. Yus.

And dude... 17+? Then I can so do that. Yay. Turning old has its benefits.
For glomping/non-glomping: Maybe we could have signs on the people who would allow glomping, and let that happen.

The Twister idea is good. Provide side entertainment. =3 Maybe hopskotch, just to be nostalgic.

ced1106: Battle Chess would be coooool. Especially if it were two characters that would never, EVER meet up (i.e., Kagome [InuYasha] and TenTen [Naruto]). That's a really great idea.  :D
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

dosukinuta4

The way u say notation when moving a piece is simple. U say which kind of piece and say which square u want it to move to(usually only one can move to the desired place).
Havent any of u seen Harry Potter?
Open mouth  X(), insert bacon ~~~, yum X)

Zagato

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"The way u say notation when moving a piece is simple. U say which kind of piece and say which square u want it to move to(usually only one can move to the desired place).
Havent any of u seen Harry Potter?
I don't wish to sound rude, but the harry potter chess game did not show much, and the are often times when multiple pieces can do the same thing
Cosplay suggestions for '06? Dark waist-length hair...
Current cosplay thoughts-Black Hair Inuyasha, Black Gema Gema Gang Bishie

dosukinuta4

Yes, multiple pieces can do the same thing, but if u play or watch people play, then u see that the same kind of piece rarely can do the same thing that another can, but since it will be cosplay, then we can say the name of the cosplayer, their real name, or the name of the one who they are cosplaying as.

E-Chan

Yeah, well, the advantage of this is that they can say "Hey, you, in the mini skirt, move to the square with the guy in the maid-outfit!"

^__^

We'd have to clear anything like Yaoi-Chess with the staff though... because, well, they're going to be involved somehow.

The other thing we could do is, we could duct-tape the squares onto the floor...  and the ones with X's on them are black, and the one with no X's are white, or something like that... though a board that's re-usable would be good... but at the same time, it's gotta be able to handle people walking on it, which rules-out paper. Someone could sink a lot of money & time into making a huge fabric chessboard... or something... >.>
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

dosukinuta4

We could always just make the board out of wood. We could make 64 wooden squares, and then paint them, and duct tape them together for the game, then untape them, and reuse them next year.

KindaRandomKris

The posterboard that I used for my kama last year is good. Just two layers, a bit of glue, and the thing was sturdy enough to survive being sat on.
-

Wirebrain

This is a really cool idea and I wouldn't mind having the Tabletop gaming dept sponsor the event- just wanna pitch in my two cents on the matter:

+ The battle chess concept is really cool. We see a bunch of characters in some neat poses and it makes for fantastic pictures.

- Glomping just leads to grief, especially with costumes. Now that it's considered a flying tackle hug, there's a chance with complex outfits in play, people can be hurt or equipment damaged just by being near the glomped piece. Who really wants to Glomp the Sandrock gundam when we can have Sana-Chan whack it with a Pico Pico hammer?

+ Using Santana Row's gonzo sized chess board is an awesome idea, just as long as we get permission from the place in advance. There may be some slight advantages for the cosplay pieces and random non-fanime people would really enjoy the costumed folk assembled. (right next to the chess board is a place called Blowfish, which serves sushi while piping anime over tv sets during work hours)

- While the ladies (and some of the men) may enjoy Yaoi, lets be quite honest here without going to slam or defend someone's fetish: It's very slim niche and while it may not have tentacle monsters that are featured in some straight hentai, it is still hentai as most of the people who go to those events would love to see the characters hop in the sack. Yes, I know the difference between Yaoi and Shonen AI- one is explicit and the other hints at it, how loud is up to the program but it simply hints. It would certainly be a no-no to do that at Santana Row (or any public place), and even if it was held at the show, it would just exclude too many people from visiting something that could be enjoyed by all without feeling uncomfortable.

Anywho, if those who'd like to head up this event for Fanime, feel free to give me a holler at [email protected] and we'll go from there.

likkyan

Oh good... I wasn't just imagining the Santana Row chessboard X3  Not sure if that would work out as far as transportation... but yeah, it would save quite a bit of work as far as making a board, and it could house the tournament as well.  So... well, I'll leave that for other people to debate the pros and cons of.

Although I for one would NOT mind lunch at Blowfish Sushi before/afterwards... they're pretty good.  :D

As far as notation goes, if it comes down to it, I'm sure we'd have enough idle "watchers" who aren't actively participating that would be willing to hold up signs and stand around the board.  Then the cosplayers could just look at the signs and move to the right square.  That might get a bit crowded or disrupt the aesthetics of the scene... but it's something to consider.  Plus, it would give the watchers something to do instead of just milling around awkwardly.  :3

The Yaoi chess seems to be a bit too... overkill.  I agree that it's definately not something that would cater to all the participants, and while I would love to see it done... perhaps that's something Y-con attendees (I know there's at least a few of you in this thread...) should think about organizing at Y-con?  I'm sure if someone mentioned it to the Yaoicon staff, or requested it as a panel or something, that it would go over well.  And you wouldn't have the problems with carding, since obviously, you've got to be 18+ to register for the convention!  :)  There may or may not be enough time for it... but if someone wants to set up a modified version of this for  this year's Y-con and gets it approved, I'd be more than willing to help out.  I'm registered, but I doubt I would have the time to organize everything since I'm starting summer school in like, two weeks.  I'm sure I could whip up the signs designating the pieces by the time Y-con rolls around, though.  I just need some advance warning.  ^_^

Checkers sounds awesome and hilarious as well, but it would be another restriction on costumes--nothing that protrudes or is overly large, i.e. wings, elaborate hats, stiff costumes that don't let you crouch down...

I think the action shot for captured pieces sounds really neat, I'm all for that, and I can bring my photo printer (little portable one) and each player who "dies" can have a copy of the image.  I would do the "killers" as well, but that would take up way too much ink...  Or maybe I should just do the "killers"?  :: shrugs ::  Or I could just charge a buck or two a photo for whoever wants them.  :3  It's kind of too expensive to do for free... :/

Maybe once they've "died" they get to do something embarrassing to the person who was controlling them, in exchange for having been killed/sacrificed?  Like... dropping an ice cube down thier shirt, or getting to 'haunt' them (whispering silly moves, tickling them, trying to make them lose concentration)?  Maybe nothing that drastic... but it'd be incentive for the actual players to not let any of thier pieces die if they had to endure something each time they lost a piece.  Maybe it would make the other person feel better about having their time on the board cut short, as well.  X3  Just an idea.

I like where this is heading...!
"Only in Europe can you suck down a fag and be gay, but not homosexual."

KindaRandomKris

The amount of suggestions is overwhelming!!
I was going to reply to stuff, but my brain died.
...!
-

dosukinuta4

When was the Santana Row chessboard introduced, and y didnt i c it? Thats just weird, i thought that i had seen all the posts in this thread. Wow. Did I miss it or did someone just bring it up?

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"When was the Santana Row chessboard introduced, and y didnt i c it? Thats just weird, i thought that i had seen all the posts in this thread. Wow. Did I miss it or did someone just bring it up?

'Twas brought up by likkyan, on the 3rd page.
-

ced1106

I don't think it would be too difficult to play a Yaoi board game. You just need a game that's less "ambitious" than live-action chess: fewer pieces and a smaller board.

3D tic-tac-toe might work. You play on either a 3x3x3 or 4x4x4 board. The lenght and width would be drawn on the board like traditional tic-tac-toe. As for the height (ie. which level the piece was on), you'd pose the actors differently:

* Bottom: Lying down
* 1st level: Kneeling
* 2nd level: Standing
* 3rd level: Standing with arms raised.

The amusing (read: yaoi fangirl fun bits) would be when you have more than one piece on the same square of the board (but different levels). Imagine four men (I'd prefer women) on the same square: one lying down, the other kneeling next to him, the other standing, and the last standing with his arms up.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Wirebrain

Quote from: "likkyan"Oh good... I wasn't just imagining the Santana Row chessboard X3  Not sure if that would work out as far as transportation... but yeah, it would save quite a bit of work as far as making a board, and it could house the tournament as well.
Transportation should be easy enough. It's close for a quick carpool drive or barring that, a ride on the 23 VTA bus line. The 23 runs often enough where it won't be a problem as long as there's enough prep time.

Although I for one would NOT mind lunch at Blowfish Sushi before/afterwards... they're pretty good.  :D
I've never eaten there, but I'll keep that in mind...

As far as notation goes, if it comes down to it, I'm sure we'd have enough idle "watchers" who aren't actively participating that would be willing to hold up signs and stand around the board.  Then the cosplayers could just look at the signs and move to the right square.  That might get a bit crowded or disrupt the aesthetics of the scene... but it's something to consider.  Plus, it would give the watchers something to do instead of just milling around awkwardly.  :3
Each player could have laminated cards indicating what piece they are and a chart on the other side so they can navigate easily. It could help the actual players that there's a real chess game set up to represent the players.  

The Yaoi chess seems to be a bit too... overkill.  I agree that it's definately not something that would cater to all the participants, and while I would love to see it done... perhaps that's something Y-con attendees (I know there's at least a few of you in this thread...) should think about organizing at Y-con?  I'm sure if someone mentioned it to the Yaoicon staff, or requested it as a panel or something, that it would go over well.  And you wouldn't have the problems with carding, since obviously, you've got to be 18+ to register for the convention!  :)  There may or may not be enough time for it... but if someone wants to set up a modified version of this for  this year's Y-con and gets it approved, I'd be more than willing to help out.  I'm registered, but I doubt I would have the time to organize everything since I'm starting summer school in like, two weeks.  I'm sure I could whip up the signs designating the pieces by the time Y-con rolls around, though.  I just need some advance warning.  ^_^
Amen on that. There's a proper time and place for everything I suppose. I'm quite sure Y-con would just dig that sort of thing and everyone's happy. Want Yaoi? Go to the con with the dang word in it's name and there can be a clean fun game of chess that you wouldn't be embarassed to take your mother to

I think the action shot for captured pieces sounds really neat, I'm all for that, and I can bring my photo printer (little portable one) and each player who "dies" can have a copy of the image.  I would do the "killers" as well, but that would take up way too much ink...  Or maybe I should just do the "killers"?  :: shrugs ::  Or I could just charge a buck or two a photo for whoever wants them.  :3  It's kind of too expensive to do for free... :/

Maybe once they've "died" they get to do something embarrassing to the person who was controlling them, in exchange for having been killed/sacrificed?  Like... dropping an ice cube down thier shirt, or getting to 'haunt' them (whispering silly moves, tickling them, trying to make them lose concentration)?  Maybe nothing that drastic... but it'd be incentive for the actual players to not let any of thier pieces die if they had to endure something each time they lost a piece.  Maybe it would make the other person feel better about having their time on the board cut short, as well.  X3  Just an idea.

I like where this is heading...!

Same here- at the very least the photo taking could be used to see the most action packed post game chess report you'd ever see. Other conventions has done this kind of event, and I'd have to go for the concept where the role fits with the character being cosplayed- Wolfwood for Bishop, Priss for Knight, Vash for King, Regina or Mai for Queen, Meg for Rook, Various mook ninjas for pawns on one side and Catgirls/ School girls for the other side and so on...

Just one problem that was brought up by one of my gaming helpers: Unless this game has timed moves, it can go on for over an hour and even then pawns or other pieces might get stuck in one space for the whole duration of the event... it would also help to have some sort of commentator/host who knows Chess really well and is quite enthusastic about it so people aren't bored to tears watching someone get indecicive and think they're the next Bobby Fisher.

E-Chan

KindaRandomKris would you want to co-head this with me, maybe? I mean, since you started the thread, you're kinda the leader at this point...

Wirebrain, are you the head of Tabletop gaming, or just a staff-member involved?

Ummm anyhow...

I haven't got a clue where Santana Row is, but if we all went in a group, and had easy directions about how people could get there, it would be fine... a few comments, though.
- It will severely shrink our audience if we leave the Con. center for an event like that.
+ Nobody will have to make the chessboard.
+ Sushi sounds great, even if we don't do it there, somebody needs to give me directions.

Photos:
Sound great. $2/photo sounds alright, maybe $2/ea or 3/$5?

Battle Chess:
So we get a bunch of random weapons (battle royale style) and have someone with a bag, and you draw the name of the weapon out of the bag, and end up with that for the duration of the game. ^__^ Everything from a wooden spoon to a plushie guitar to an inflatable hammer... and people could whack each other anywhere that doesn't look fragile... or maybe, a game of rock-paper-scissors or something.

Losers:
Should definitely do something interesting on the sidelines, both for their own amusement, and the amusement of the audience. Ideas as far as that goes:
- Hopscotch
- Twister
- Tic-Tac-toe
- Spoons

Yaoi-Chess:
While it's a fun thought, I'd resigned myself a while back to the fact that it wasn't happening. There are just too many things to worry about. Besides, if we turn it into something like that, then it could make things weird. Y-Con has their events at Fanime, we don't need to add to the list. (no matter how fun that may be)

Announcer:
Sounds like a great idea. ^__^ They could get all into it, and make everything seem more dramatic. Do we have anyone that's got a flair for things like that? If not, we should find one. They can do it MXC style, perhaps.

Wirebrain

E, I'm the not only a staff member of Tabletop, I'm also the high mucky muck of the dept. :)

You do bring up a good point with the fact it's not exactly in walking distance within the con. However I see this counterbalanced with

A) Many non-con goers checking out the event and said "pieces" and enjoying the show by itself. If it works, this could be one of those events that can "enrich" the comunity and perhaps help slay the idea that these cons are just weirdo havens and instead people who just like to have a good time.

B)  Easy transit- If cars are an issue, Transit runs directly from downtown to Valley Fair mall, which is right across from Santana Row.

C) As Great Teacher Largo put it: Knowledge is Power! We make the event known in either the program guide or the newsletter. Preferably both as well as directions to and from santana row and the SJCC.

The battle chess idea originally came from the age-old PC game of the same name. It was chess that would have cool combat animations when each piece captured another to spiff up the game- Frankly just telling the chess pieces to bring character appropriate weapons (paper fans, squeeky hammers and giant foam mallets for the catgirls/school kids for example) to the event is good enough. Expect alot of research on Boffo weapons, kids.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "E-Chan"KindaRandomKris would you want to co-head this with me, maybe? I mean, since you started the thread, you're kinda the leader at this point...

Ahh, yes please. The person I'm supposed to be working with sort of bailed on me.

BTW: I'm going to be out of town for a couple weeks (leaving tomorrow morning), so I won't be able to get hold of a computer as often. Just a heads up.
-

E-Chan

YAY! alright, so I'm high mistress until Kris returns...

Hmmm... what to do... what to do?

~_^

Naah, alright, so, I suppose the question is, where do we want to do all the planning for this?

Anyone with questions/comments as far as this is concerned, feel free to contact me via AIM, PM, or MSN. I'll respond to any of them, but be prepared to tell me who you are.

So, Tabletop gaming'd be willing to host it? Awesome. ^__^ I'm thinking... I'll be making more complete lists and such later. Any more suggestions from people?

Battle Chess: Yes, some more pondering

Well, I think that not everyone's  going to be able to get weapons that are costume-appropriate, and still useable. For example, Meg from Burst Angel (who I'm cosplaying) always has a very large gun. That's hardly appropriate for a game of chess, so I'll be finding something different just for the game.

I'll probably also bring a few spare pieces, for the spur-of-the-moment players.

Prizes:
We keep talking of a tournament, and every good tournament has prizes. I need someone to take charge of figuring out what we're going to do as far as prizes are concerned... Food, Anime Stuff, Random Strange Stuff... suggestions, anyone? (Plausible, and either cheap, or with an explanation about where to get the money for it)

We've pretty much decided. Objections, or alternate suggestions?

Leishu

I'm just psyched about moderating this. :D

Hey, does that make me MC too? ^_^
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "E-Chan"YAY! alright, so I'm high mistress until Kris returns...

Hmmm... what to do... what to do?

~_^

Hahah go nuts.

Quote from: "E-Chan"
Naah, alright, so, I suppose the question is, where do we want to do all the planning for this?

Anyone with questions/comments as far as this is concerned, feel free to contact me via AIM, PM, or MSN. I'll respond to any of them, but be prepared to tell me who you are.

So, Tabletop gaming'd be willing to host it? Awesome. ^__^ I'm thinking... I'll be making more complete lists and such later. Any more suggestions from people?

Battle Chess: Yes, some more pondering

Well, I think that not everyone's  going to be able to get weapons that are costume-appropriate, and still useable. For example, Meg from Burst Angel (who I'm cosplaying) always has a very large gun. That's hardly appropriate for a game of chess, so I'll be finding something different just for the game.

I'll probably also bring a few spare pieces, for the spur-of-the-moment players.

Maybe, for the cosplayers with managable weapons, they can use those, and the ones with huge/dangerous/fragile weapons can use toy ones? Fuun from the Naruto movie (which I think I'll wear instead of Gaara) has a katana (and I'll be using posterboard and wood to make that), which isn't too big a prop to deal with. A character like Yuna from FFX could probably get away with their weapon, too, but someone like Seras from Hellsing would have to use a toy weapon.

Quote from: "E-chan"
We've pretty much decided. Objections, or alternate suggestions?

Wait, are we talking about Santana Row, here? Last year, when I went across the street for the Naruto gathering, my mother went ballistic on me. I shudder to think about what she'd do if I went to Santana Row - but, I'm sure that if we are going to Santana Row, I could convince her to let me go.
-