Cosplay Chess!

Started by KindaRandomKris, June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Would you be interested in a game of Human Chess?

Yes, I'd take the part of a piece.
60 (70.6%)
Yes, I'd play the actual game on the smaller board.
5 (5.9%)
Yes, but I'd just watch.
14 (16.5%)
No.
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Chibblz

about the squares... we can use 2x2 squares and tape to measure it out so that it would be big enough. and the closing ceremony thing... can that really be arranged? if not, then could we just have, like, a little get-together with the winners in front of the stairs around where they were selling sushi this year as a back-up plan.

ya_were_guards

Aye lads, sign me up for a bishop if at all possible and if that's not available, I'll take myself a rook-piece.   :wink:
"A mind without purpose will wander dark places."
-Ravenor

BunofGovt

This sounds like fun!  I volunteer to be a pawn, not sure what my cosplay will be yet but I'm planning a Shin from Pretear outfit, so mark me as that.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

KindaRandomKris

Please wait before requesting any more signups. There are still some kinks in the planning that need to be worked out, but you'll have your chance to sign up when all plans and rules are finalized.

Thank you.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Blue Impulse

I voted no... lol... Stupid idea sorry :P
0001 Registered User at Fanime 06'

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Blue Impulse"I voted no... lol... Stupid idea sorry :P

Wait, are you saying the chess thing is a stupid idea, or the voting?

'Cause if you meant the chess, I guess that's your opinion.
-

the_Pink_Panther24

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"
Quote from: "Blue Impulse"I voted no... lol... Stupid idea sorry :P

Wait, are you saying the chess thing is a stupid idea, or the voting?

'Cause if you meant the chess, I guess that's your opinion.

dont worry kinda random kris its a good idea!  :P  
lol

and blue your art's cool ^^ message me on aim sometimes we'll chat about cars or something.

putrocca

I ran the Cosplay Human Chess matches at Anime Boston, Connecticon, Vericon and for several Anime Network events, so I'd be happy to help with this event, providing advice, notes, contact info on how to order a good board, etc.  It sounds like your planning is well underway, and I'm glad to see Cosplay Chess spreading, so I'd love to help, even if I can't come.  Anyone with quesitons.  You can contact me here:

http://www.animeboston.com/contact/?masquerade

Meanwhile, here are some links with a little basic info.

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~anime/has-chess/
http://forums.animeboston.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=115&topic_id=1341&mesg_id=1341&page=
http://people.bu.edu/buanime/chess_small.htm

If anyone has any specific questions about how well or poorly different things worked at previous matches, let me know.  And a Yaoi version would be awesome!  I managed to get Yuki and Shuichi to be king and queen in the Connecticon match, and it was fabulous.
- Ada (K-san)
Anime Bosotn Masquerade Coordinator
Manager, BAD LUCK cosplay band
Cosplay Human Chess master

Croquet

I would love to be a chess piece! It's been my life's ambition!
Let's play
some Croquet!

SweetNiar

ooo! If there is still room I want to be a chess piece too! :D

SweetNiar

ill be dressed as Lina Inverse...and ya know Lina shall be the queen! :D hehe

AbsolutelyCursed

Quote from: "Croquet"I would love to be a chess piece! It's been my life's ambition!

Ahhh! To have a dream is a wonderful thing

KindaRandomKris

I enjoy seeing that so many people are so enthusiastic about Cosplay Chess! However, as I had stated in several previous (admittedly, old) posts, I have temporarily suspended sign-ups until all planning and pre-con setup is complete. If, when sign-ups are re-instated, you all are still interested, come back and join. Feel free to stand around and gawk on the day of the game, as well!

Peace, yo.
~Kris
-

Glitch

This is gonna be sweet. *turns on megaphone.*

BP!

Well, I'll be wating for sign-ups for this to start up again, because I'd love to be a part of this. :)

Just in case anyone needs info on who I'll be, I've finally decided:

Roy Mustang (FMA)

In any case, I'll be waiting...
Cooking is a gift from the gods, spices are a gift from the devil...looks like it was a little too spicy for you. -Sanji

platinum edge

Well, I'd love to do it if there's still room at the convention to do so.  I can't quite commit to it just yet.  I'll either be Ranma (male) or Calintz (from Magna Carta:  Crimson Stigmata).
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

KindaRandomKris

Hey guys, girls, and everything in between!
If you want Cosplay Chess to be finalized and become an official-official event at Fanime, go support it at the "CosPlay Event Ideas" thread!
Though, out of the choices available, I think it'd be the most supported (simply because of level of difficulty to run, time, etc.).

Yay!
And I don't really know what's been going on with planning, but I do hope this goes through. Though I doubt I'd have anything to do with running it - not staff, ya know.  :?  Who knows.
-

BunofGovt

Quote from: "Chibblz"about the squares... we can use 2x2 squares and tape to measure it out so that it would be big enough.

Maybe 3x3 would be better?  Taking into consideration the size of costumes some pieces would be wearing? (yeah, Shin's got a flowing gown and cape, come on!)  3' x 8 squares = 24', so we'd need an area maybe 24' square?

The fountain area would be large enough, and certainly draw a crowd, but timing might be a problem, if other groups are doing photo ops there the same day as the chess game.  I hope this makes it.  I'm looking forward to it!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Leishu

Hey. This is Lin. I've been busy but am still very interested and still very able to make this board at what size we need.

If the board were to cost me money, I'd estimate it at about 190 dollars for 3x3, 1/2 that for 2x2, give or take. It may very well be free, though. Again, this is something relatively easy for me to order/make to the tune that I could literally prepare it for Fanime on a single day's notice.

But yeah. I'm still up for both building this board AND judging. We need to keep in mind the constraints of the fountain area, especially, as San Jose gets rather windy in late May.
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

Thorn Atropa

Brilliant!  Bloody Brilliant!

I'm in if you can find a use for me, otherwise I'll just watch.

On a side note, the easiest way to make the board would probably be to use Duct tape.  Just make the grid and use the tape to cross-hatch the black squares.  Any flat surface will work then...
--
"Crossdressing lolis and submissive switches
Ukes and semes and sex-magick witches
Beautiful boys and girls tied up with string
These are a few of my favourite things"