Cosplay Chess!

Started by KindaRandomKris, June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Would you be interested in a game of Human Chess?

Yes, I'd take the part of a piece.
60 (70.6%)
Yes, I'd play the actual game on the smaller board.
5 (5.9%)
Yes, but I'd just watch.
14 (16.5%)
No.
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Leishu

I can print oversize black and white thingies from a roll (Which comes in 24 or 36 inches wide and approximately 130 feet in length... so yeah. Plenty of roll), which would be both relatively inexpensive for 2X2 and pretty-looking for the fans. ^_^
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

likkyan

Hello!  Just out of curiousity since I've been gone for a while... this is still going strong, is it not?  If we're going to do this, does anyone have preferences as to how the signs (the ones on big sticks for the cosplayers' benefit) should look?  If not, I'm going to start drafting up some from my own preferences, and experiment with carving.  It's been a while since I last carved something substantial.  If you want to see how a certain design would look, let me know and if it's not too difficult, I'll comp an example and post pictures of it.
"Only in Europe can you suck down a fag and be gay, but not homosexual."

MeliCat

Sounds excellent, count me in for sure!

qazplm872

lol well i will join in. if you need me for a piece or anything just let me know. i like chess....even more with real victims-....i mean pieces 8)
gwenny

Jyunishinsho

So...

We would have two people playing chess on one side of the arena. Whatever move they make determines what happens on the board. If a piece were to eat another piece, they would do something, some sort of action...like a fan attack or such.
To show what piece is what, have ribbons or something tied to their shoulder to signify what they represent.

-for kings: use the King of All Cosmos. That would be cool...

Leishu

A King of All Cosmos would be quite awesome, as would a 'Gambling King' from Ranma, 'King' from King of Fighters, 'King' from Tekken, or King Gidorah. :D

ya_were_guards

Bwahahahaha! This is awesome, if any pieces are left sign me up....preferably as a bishop or rook of either color....all of the other color shall suck my minion-ite wrath! :twisted:
"A mind without purpose will wander dark places."
-Ravenor

Leishu

I believe that the sign-ups are on hold until we can see the plans being a bit more static...

but I am not certain.

Wirebrain

Exactly. I'd ask everyone to keep their eyes peeled very soon on this very forum as we'll be announcing the event, which looks like it'll be officially a recognized portion of Fanime.

So far a good chunk of the main staff like the idea, and it seems we'll be the first convention on the west coast (correction please?) to have such a shindig and I can tell lots of you here are chomping at the bit, but right now, I only need one thing from you guys:

PLEASE BE PATIENT.

Once we have everything sorted out like rules and policies, we can begin sign ups for all the games and dates. I'm not one to post up policies and just yank em out at the last minute if I can help it, so it's crucial we're all on the same page.
Also since almost everyone here is a "Do-it-yerselfer", Just kick back on providing material at the moment. I'd rather have the convention foot the bill before making someone get stuck with a tab.

But please by all means offer your services and let us know what you can do. My PM works just fine. Or throw out things you'd like to see handled or run at the games right here. I'll be sure to read them.

Mike Stevens

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"-for kings: use the King of All Cosmos. That would be cool...

Along with Queens of All Cosmos.

But hey, who's going to be cosplaying as her? :D
epic progressive

vox

KindaRandomKris

Yey. Pending official-ness makes me happy. :D
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Glitch

Quote from: "KindaRandomKris"Yey. Pending official-ness makes me happy. :D
me too.I'm itching to use my megaphone.This would be the first event at fanime I take part in. ^^

putrocca

Our board at Anime Boston is 2x2 foot squares and it's pretty tight, so I recommend 3x3 if you can swing it.  

I'm glad to see chess spreading.  We'll be having it at Connecticon again in 2006.  Anime Boston hasn't made any announcements yet, but the general assumption is that they will too.  That'll make five matches I've run.  Anyone who wants help or tips, do contact me, masquerade at animeboston dot com.

http://www.geocities.com/sassafrass_boston/CosplayHumanChess.html
- Ada (K-san)
Anime Bosotn Masquerade Coordinator
Manager, BAD LUCK cosplay band
Cosplay Human Chess master

Leishu

I can make 3x3, but at that point I'd probably need someone to pitch in. The board at that size would be approximately 288 dollars to produce, I believe. :p

negolith

felicity869

Sounds like fun. There's a giant chest board in Santa Row and I always though it would be fun to get a bunch of friends together to paly life sized chess. There's also a giant monopoly board in the park right by the convention center. I think I'm just a fan of oversized board games in general :)

r_kenshin

I'm so in.  To reference a somewhat dissappointing anime, we should cosplay as the Chess no Kuma! :D

I call being a bishop or rook!  Moving a ton of spaces is the best!

Also, we need to make sure the actual people playing chess are good, so we don't waste everyone's time.
Evil Thrives.
The Corrupted walk the streets without hesitation,
Without Pride or Compassion,
And What of Value?

That is to Say: AKU, SOKU, ZAN.

Evangelion Xgouki

Sweet!  Definately sign me up for this  :D .  I'm figuring this will be on either Saturday or Sunday, so I think my cosplay line-up for this year's Fanime will be either RO Assassin (w/ Katars) or Kurogane (Tsubasa Chronicle) for those days, fyi.

Leishu

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but let's not count our chickens for now, eh?

Let's bide our time for a little longer before we start taking serious sign-ups because after all, should this go through, it means a serious time commitment from any person who wants to be a piece and moreso from the players and coordinators. This means that before we ask you to make such a commitment we really want to make sure that this event is even happening...

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Leishu"Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but let's not count our chickens for now, eh?

Well, you do know you have a hit on your hands when people sign up when they're told not to. XD They can't wait.
epic progressive

vox