Dance Dance Fanime! 2006 DDR Tourney

Started by Spiritsnare, June 13, 2005, 08:30:43 PM

Spiritsnare

EDIT: Updated Rules can be found here!! This applies to everything -- PA, Freestyle, Cosplay PA, and Cosplay Freestyle!

-=-

yes i was that bored to make a logo shush it's pretty

Welcome to the planning thread for the Fanime 2006 Dance Dance Revolution tourney!

To-do list -----

• Gauge interest in the event.

• Set a day/s for the tournament. <--

• Set a time/s for the tournament. <--

• Decide the events that will be done (eg: PA, Freestyle, Oni Survival, etc.)
  • Find/make rules for the tournament.

• Find out which machine(s) is/are being brought over. If ITG is being brought over, make a new thread, perhaps...or move to Plan B. <--

Eleven months should be plenty time to wrap things up, and well in time for the con, so that's why the thread's here. Discuss and have fun~
epic progressive

vox

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"edit: I'm also throwing around an li'l idea: Cosplay DDR, or events limited to cosplayers...think it might be good?
Oh oh! I'm in!!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Chibblz

can i be part of the cheering squad, spirit? :P

or I can just fangirl the people that are DDRing... haha. ^^

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Chibblz"can i be part of the cheering squad, spirit? :P

Couple girls in my city used to made a "I love Juicy Fan club" for fun. Juicy is a cool friend of mine.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Chibblz

Quote from: "OniCourseMusha"
Quote from: "Chibblz"can i be part of the cheering squad, spirit? :P

Couple girls in my city used to made a "I love Juicy Fan club" for fun. Juicy is a cool friend of mine.

Haha. Fangirling is fun... hmm... offtopic... XD

Nina Star 9

cosplay DDR woudl be fun. since apparently i am a n00b that can do stuff anyone else can do on DDR, and i like to cosplay, why not? i guess i shoudl make a costume that would actually be possible to DDR in.... XD

OniCourseMusha

That asian guy who was cosplaying as Ky from GGX is pretty good freezestyler.
Kraken Con Staff

Spiritsnare

He freestyled? I missed that. Anyone have a video? XD

So far, judging by the number of people replying to the thread, there are two people interested in the main events, one person for cosplay. I'm going to be waiting until I find enough people interested enough to sign up for both events, and then we could go to actual planning for the tourney -- unless those interested need to know what day the tourney takes place on.

We also need to figure out what event(s) we should be doing, for both normal and cosplay variants, so we can create rules ahead of time for those interested but want to know more details.

Oh, and Chibblz, a cheering squad would be wonderful, but don't be so loud that one can't hear the music or get distracted...XD
epic progressive

vox

OniCourseMusha

My advice:
Cheer before and after the song. And it's all cool.
Kraken Con Staff

Chibblz

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Oh, and Chibblz, a cheering squad would be wonderful, but don't be so loud that one can't hear the music or get distracted...XD
Quote from: "OniCourseMusha"My advice:
Cheer before and after the song. And it's all cool.
OKAY! COOL! WHO WANTS TO BUY ME POMPOMS!?!? <3

Chun

Oy Chibz, why don't you cosplay as one of the Negima cheerleaders? Then that solves everything!  :wink:

In all seriousness, is there a mode that someone can only play low level songs? Like a "Trickster" tournament? Or perhaps "Best staged cosplay skit" atop the pad?

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Logik

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"I'm also throwing around an li'l idea: Cosplay DDR, or events limited to cosplayers...think it might be good?
Looks like I'll be dancing as Kenshin again. If it's on Extreme, I'm definitely gonna choose Freckles as one of my songs. :wink:

I'll probably join this tournament next year. I'm currently an 8 footer so 10.5 months should be more than enough time to reach 10 feet. Oh yeah, and that Ky cosplayer is friggin' sweet with the freestyle.
"All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrrow will be what it should be - even if it isn't what you expected." -Harry Dresden

Spiritsnare

Please see the updated rules.

Quote from: "Old Rules"See, the tricky part is that you only have enough time for the tournament...I want to accomodate all skill levels/gameplay modes within the time allotted. However, there isn't enough time to do the complete package, but I think I can pull this off.

Also, I'm a newbie with tournament planning and execution, so...forgive me for any hiccups you might find in the text. Also, feel free to give me any suggestions for addition or modification to the following italicized text.

This will be an event spread over two days; I'm thinking Friday and The Day Der Cosplay Isn't Held, or, more likely, Saturday and Sunday. The first day will cover the Standard (non-cosplay) Tournament, divided up into two group; Light (Beginner + Light + Standard difficulties) and Heavy (Heavy/Challenge difficulties). EDIT MODE STEPS ARE NOT ALLOWED!

Entrants through the bracket are judged on Dance Points; the equations of which will be posted up later. Basically, whoever has more DP = win. Also, AFAIK, there are different DP totals for each song, thus giving incentive to those who can pass harder songs.

Freestyle will be judged by DP (33%) and coolness of freestyle (66%).

Finals for the Light group will be on a Nonstop course of their choosing, or if they prefer, we'll randomize it for them with a 20-sided die (I believe DDR Extreme doesn't have Random Select for courses). Similarly, Heavy group finalists will end up doing a Challenge course of their choosing, or, if the judges decide they're That Good, they may be inclined to set them on the Legend Road, or something; it's not likely, though.

This will be a Singles-Only Perfect Attack, due to time limitations.

On the other hand, both Singles and Doubles are allowed for Freestyle, which will have its own group; experience doesn't matter. Just freestyle to the song of your choice, on the mode of your choice.

Signups are restricted to eight registrants per group, due to time restrictions. (With this, each group will take about an hour to complete.)

Cosplay Tournament Day will consist of the same events as the Standard Tournament, only that cosplay is a must for those who register. Handicaps for cosplay (because some may be more complex than others) will earn bonus DP/freestyle points; in some cases, using a cosplay prop in a freestyle routine will earn you extra -- up to 10% more DP than the average song.

In short:

• The tournaments will take place over two days.
  • The tournaments are divided into three groups: Standard (PA covering Beginner, Light, and Standard difficulties), Heavy (PA covering Heavy and Oni difficulties), and Freestyle (any difficulty just so long as you make it look good).
  • The Cosplay Tournaments will follow the same routine.
  • Perfect Attack will be judged by Dance Points (DP). Freestyle will be judged by DP (33%) and coolness of freestyle (66%).
  • Handicaps for the Cosplay Tourneys (because some cosplays are more complex than others) will be in place, earning cosplayers extra DP in certain cases -- up to 10%.
Please comment...are these rules sufficient, or will I have to write them again to conform with DDR tournament standards or something? ^^;[/size]
epic progressive

vox

OniCourseMusha

Probably be either the DDR pad or Shinsengumi when I play DDR.

Quote from: "Chun"Oy Chibz, why don't you cosplay as one of the Negima cheerleaders? Then that solves everything!  :wink:

I really like cheerleaders in anime. It just reminds me the time when I cheered wit them back then and makes me wanna join the cheer.
Kraken Con Staff

Spiritsnare

Real cheerleaders or anime ones?

edit I know this may sound cruel, but I'm thinking of locking all Beginner and Light players out of the tournament... make it just Standard/Heavy.

edit OR make tournaments for Light, Standard, and Heavy, locking out Beginner. With this, each of the tournaments will come out to ~55 minutes, making this four hours per day. What do you guys think?
epic progressive

vox

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Real cheerleaders or anime ones?
The Anime cheerleaders just makes me want to cheer with them just like when I used to cheered wit the real cheerleaders.

All I can think of is try to pick a certain song and difficult to qualify to the next round.  And pick like the top 20 or somthing if you want to sum it up.
It's my own opinion.
Kraken Con Staff

Shinsengumi

Quote from: "OniCourseMusha"
Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Real cheerleaders or anime ones?
The Anime cheerleaders just makes me want to cheer with them just like when I used to cheered wit the real cheerleaders.

All I can think of is try to pick a certain song and difficult to qualify to the next round.  And pick like the top 20 or somthing if you want to sum it up.
It's my own opinion.

Interesting, anime cheerleaders, this I got to see if that happens  8)
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Chibblz

ahhh!!! too many things i'd quote.... just... too lazy... OK SO HERE I GO!!

Phil - Yahyahyah... BUT I NEED TO COSPLAY AS A HIGH WIZ!!! OMG!!! SERIOUSLY!!!  I've already started on my costume, anyways. So you CANT change my mind!! o.~

Oni - Haha. You wanna cheer if/when you arent playing?? ^^

Shin - o__O; Haha.. o.o;

Spirit - I WANT MY SOUL BACK!! O.O;;;

And maybe this'll be like that one online manga... What was it called.... Oh yah! The 10kCommotion. ^^

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Chibblz"Oni - Haha. You wanna cheer if/when you arent playing?? ^^
I have POMS POMS!!
Kraken Con Staff

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Chibblz"Spirit - I WANT MY SOUL BACK!! O.O;;;

But I'm safekeeping it... :(

EDIT quick poll thing -- be lenient on barhuggers/bar-rapers, or penalize them?
epic progressive

vox