Dance Dance Fanime! 2006 DDR Tourney

Started by Spiritsnare, June 13, 2005, 08:30:43 PM

Punkre

We could just have a unoffical DDR Tourny, like a hour of a specific day when each person has a go at the Mach and we give props to the winner as well as braging rights... the winners are based on whoever we feel is the best, not like it matters if thier is no prize or what ever.
Anime>Video Games>Real Life

Why do i fall in lov with every girl that pays the littlest bit of attention to me?

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Punkre"We could just have a unoffical DDR Tourny, like a hour of a specific day when each person has a go at the Mach and we give props to the winner as well as braging rights... the winners are based on whoever we feel is the best, not like it matters if thier is no prize or what ever.
No..........
you do know what happened at Khaistyle's tourney and all that trouble he had to go through?
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

zoupzuop2

LIEK ZOMG BEST IDEA EVAR!

So, we all bring an index card (one of those lined ones, the ones you use to write speeches or flashcards on?) to the con, and whenever two people go at it, the overall winner (determined amongst themselves; preferably by Perfects) punches a hole in their card. At the same time, people donate generously to the winner's pot. On the last day, the ones with the most punched holes win the prizes, divided like so:

1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%

Whaddya think?
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Punkre

No..........
you do know what happened at Khaistyle's tourney and all that trouble he had to go through?[/quote]

um no, i dont know why they decided not to have a tourney this year. well im just saying ya dont have to have prizes to have a little unofficial DDR tourney and make it fun.
Anime>Video Games>Real Life

Why do i fall in lov with every girl that pays the littlest bit of attention to me?

Spiritsnare

Khaistyle did an 'unofficial' tourney at the arcade machine last year, but the mere fact that it was unofficial got him a bit of a rough ride.

I'm not too sure on details. Please PM him before coming up with more ideas.

OCE did mention that nothing is to bar the customer from being able to play, as well, so take that into consideration.
epic progressive

vox

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Khaistyle did an 'unofficial' tourney at the arcade machine last year, but the mere fact that it was unofficial got him a bit of a rough ride.

OCE did mention that nothing is to bar the customer from being able to play, as well, so take that into consideration.
Hence my idea in my previous post.

See, it doesn't interrupt play for "non-competitors" at all. The only difference is that you punch a hole in a card after the round. People donate to the pot, then the goods are div'd out on the last day. All the people NOT involved still get their chance to play, and we DDR players get our competition, without infringing on the "no-tournament" rules that have just been established.

If we don't call it a tournament, and don't treat it like one (it really isn't, it's just more of a "DDR Rally" for holes in a card), it should work perfectly.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Khaistyle did an 'unofficial' tourney at the arcade machine last year, but the mere fact that it was unofficial got him a bit of a rough ride.

I was there.  There was a lot of people on the bracket list. He had to input all the scores on paper or on laptop. It got worst due to the position of the DDR machine being moved because of the stupid glare. So the con-ops shut the machine off right before we had to move to the 2nd round.

The very bad news is, when MGL got back the machine, it got was damaged really bad I heard...... and was very pissed.  We gonna have to plan this one really careful and wit pre-caution.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

lying is an art form

Ouch, so no DDR tourney this year?

I like the idea of the whole "rally" idea btw =P
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Khaistyle

Yes, last year I decided to pull my own tournament. Communication between me and the people conops were very difficult and eventually they pulled the plug on me. As a matter of fact, ALL arcade tournaments were cancelled that day, pathetic. I can understand that this year OCE is pulling the "cover my ass" card, but honestly; if you're an arcade distributor, you have to understand that arcade tournaments happen. Communities of skilled people grow around a certain game and its inevitable that they'll want to compete against one another officially........Ok that put aside I guess I'll spend my time trying to AAA new 10s at fanime and enjoying the dance.

Here's my idea if you don't want to feel like you got ripped off for this tournament: if you like DDR:SN then everyone should sign up for Milpitas Golfland's DDR Supernova kickoff tournament. Its going to be huge, Perfect Attack, Freestyle, the works. Read this thread for more details. If you love DDR and want to see or compete in a great tournament, come to MGL this July.
I DONT PLAY BEMANI ANYMORE, BITCHES!!

zoupzuop2

'Ay! If the Rally idea is any useful, I've got some prototype "cards" I whipped up in under an hour (for all five!) for the cause!

Here's the concept: Participants print out two cards (of their choice) before Fanime itself, so as to not get shorthanded in the real competition, and whenever they win a match against someone, they punch a hole (somehow) into their card. It's based on an honor system; don't go punching holes just 'cos you feel antsy!

Here's some (badly done) example cards, upon which you (lucky?) people get to decide
*If the "Rally" idea is any good in the first place
*Which of the cards would be the best "Official" card(s) for the job. (That's right, you can pick more than one!)

I got a bit carried away with clouds and fire...

I KNOW I've got work to do on these, such as a better title up on top, more refined graphics, etc... I'm trying to stress the CONCEPT; then, when a card is decided upon, maybe I could get one of the Photoshop magicians of the board to give me a lift on the images...

Khaistyle

Ok, I'm all for this idea. But I'm always really annoyed with the token line system every year. Either get a whiteboard or everyone needs to try to remember shit better. People don't remember when it's their turn and then everyone else gets all pissed off because they cut in line. Since we can't find a good way to keep track of everyone, I'm not going to let 100 people cut in front of me this weekend. I'll do Legend Road doubles friday night and declare myself the winnar.

mDuo13

Man, all I care is that the DDR machine doesn't end up in the glare again. That was freakin' awful.

Also, I'm looking forward to being able to show off my improvement: from 5 feet to 9 in under a year, yay!

Oh, and as for the punchcards: doesn't it seem like it would be difficult to hit those center holes with a normal hole punch? They don't usually stretch very far past the edge. The way I see it, you should just have a layer around the border (maybe a double-row) and you can put a picture of a DDR machine in the center. Either that, or you can resort to stabbing them with a pen like I figure everyone will be doing anyway.

lying is an art form

I'm for this rally thing in-between staffing/around the con =P

It probably won't have glare, it'll all be in that exhibit hall along with eGaming.

As for the token line system: BRING SOME UNIQUE COINS/PLACEHOLDERS SO YOU'LL KNOW WHICH ONE IS YOU!

i.e. I've used a variety of things: a 0.20 Euro coin, a price tag from one of my shirts, some random piece of paper with my name on it, etc.

And mDuo good job on 5 -> 9. I'm still stuck on 9.5 after a year though I've stopped bar raping as a whole =X
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: "Khaistyle"Ok, I'm all for this idea. But I'm always really annoyed with the token line system every year. Either get a whiteboard or everyone needs to try to remember shit better. People don't remember when it's their turn and then everyone else gets all pissed off because they cut in line. Since we can't find a good way to keep track of everyone, I'm not going to let 100 people cut in front of me this weekend. I'll do Legend Road doubles friday night and declare myself the winnar.

A white board? Ingenious. If one isnt provided, Ill try and bring one.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Khaistyle"Ok, I'm all for this idea. But I'm always really annoyed with the token line system every year. Either get a whiteboard or everyone needs to try to remember shit better. People don't remember when it's their turn and then everyone else gets all pissed off because they cut in line. Since we can't find a good way to keep track of everyone, I'm not going to let 100 people cut in front of me this weekend. I'll do Legend Road doubles friday night and declare myself the winnar.
The line is a bitch!  I should put something besides my token.  ID card should work fine.

Eh? Khai?  Let's face each other on random songs on shuffle again before you claim yourself winner!  I'll show u guys my wrath of Trick Oni (I'll do Legend Road on single also).
Kraken Con Staff

zoupzuop2

Legend Road... you make an interesting point, Khai.

How about, to make it fair, doing Legend Road is worth... three punches per amount of pads used? (Three for "singles", six for doubles) That way there's still the illusion of a chance for other people to win. (You and I BOTH know either you or OCM will take this, but it's best to at least give the illusion so they don't give up, 'eh?)

Khaistyle

Its cool whatever you want to do, I've really moved on to ITG. I'm Top 3 on Groovestats for doubles expert yet I still fumble with AAAing some of the crazy doubles DDR stuff. We don't need a point system specially made for me and Craig, although that would be cool and kinda funny. I'll just be playing everything that looks difficult/insane, trying to AAA it and saying "hey guys if you quit DDR and play ITG for 4 months you can get this good too."

YoureMyHiro

Top 3 on GStats eh? Hardcore. I stopped playing seriously a while back already, now its just for exercise if that. Ill pick it up again probably when DDR:SN drops.

Khaistyle

Yeah, 2 reasons I've quit DDR.

I've gotten 1 great or 1 miss (pad) on max300 and Sakura more times than I can count. (lost track somewhere back in the 30+count)

No competition, literally. The closest good players are like you guys in Salinas, and everyone else had moved on to ITG, so I did the same.

deepbluevibes