Maul Starbucks.. er..

Started by Tuplica, June 19, 2005, 05:04:18 AM

Tuplica

Okay, I'm not actually suggesting anything like THAT, but if someone official-ish could contact the convention center or the Hilton or the Starbucks itself and basically say - "hey, look, we're having a con with a few thousand people who stay up all night, drink lots of stuff to stay awake and seem to be fond of Starbucks- could you stay open PAST two pm?" that would be GREAT.

Seriously, there's almost nothing as sad as watching about 15 people get literally locked out of a Starbucks while standing in line simply because the 2-o'clock hour has come up.  I thought that was stupid in '04, but I figured since hardly anyone was around that area (the con wasn't on that side just yet, and there weren't a whole lot of people at the Hilton, I guess) that that was why they still closed so early- but there were a huge amount of people around it constantly this year, and they still closed early.  I think if someone in charge of that stand was aware of how much revenue they could make just by staying open to, oh, some half-way sensible hour like FIVE, at the very friggin' least, they'd probably be willing to do it for a mere weekend.  

Hell.  I'll admit it.  One of my biggest motivators for staying at the Hilton instead of the Marriot?  It's steps away from the Starbucks.  But what good is that when the place closes at two? -_-;;;
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Spiritsnare

My thought is that Starbucks does that because of Memorial Day weekend and/or just weekend hours. I'm also pretty sure it's up to the SJCC, because it's in the con itself and barely outside the Hilton.

But I see what you're meaning...every time I tried to go to the Starbucks, it was closed. I needed a buzz for the evening, and I had no room. ::eyetwitch::
epic progressive

vox

Zain

We can tell and tell, but our thoughts usually fall on deaf ears. We've submitted it to the SJCC, but we'll find out if they agree no earlier than next year.

Alternatively, if Starbucks is closed, the Marriott has Pete's Coffee in their lobby.
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "Zain"We can tell and tell, but our thoughts usually fall on deaf ears. We've submitted it to the SJCC, but we'll find out if they agree no earlier than next year.

Alternatively, if Starbucks is closed, the Marriott has Pete's Coffee in their lobby.

Kinda interesting....starbucks gets all the negative crap for being, well Starbucks...cause they're the Coffee Empire equivalent of Wall Mart. and how no one likes to go there....and now people are upset that the SJCC Starbucks Kiosk kept banker's hours over the weekend. :?
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Spiritsnare

To me, it's still coffee, though. <3 Though I have heard of Starbucks being evil due to it assimilating all mom-and-pop coffee companies, being controlled by The Man, etc., like you said, Dieter.

Now that you mentioned that Peet's place, I might give that a shot next year. But nothing can stand up to Starbucks' hot chocolate. Their hot chocolate is love, but it's also expensiiiiive~~~;.;
epic progressive

vox

Tuplica

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"Kinda interesting....starbucks gets all the negative crap for being, well Starbucks...cause they're the Coffee Empire equivalent of Wall Mart. and how no one likes to go there....and now people are upset that the SJCC Starbucks Kiosk kept banker's hours over the weekend. :?

I can't speak for the rest of us of the legion of caffeine-dependency, but IMHO, coffee is coffee is coffee is coffee.  If it tastes good and gives you a buzz, GIMME GIMME GIMME.  *cough*  Now, if I heard something about slave labor and the like with Starbucks, I might feel otherwise, but I haven't.  And besides- if people don't want to go there because of the CE equivalent of Walmart, so be it.  Smaller lines.  Workers get great pay and great benefits, and possibly due to such, they don't try to devour my brain the second I show up to buy something.  I dig it.  

In other response- I didn't know about the Peet's either.  Now I must check it out... I don't think I've ever even been in the Marriott lobby.  :shock:  Must... get... coffee... rrrrrr...

Also, thanks, Zain.  I had a feeling that they might just not be listening, but one can always hope.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

M

IMHO, Peet's Coffee is alot better than Starbucks...
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

G.I.R

I tried Peet's on Sat. of the con, and found their coffee to be quite good, but I didn't notice if they were open 24/7, or even late.  Does anyone know? :?

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "G.I.R"I tried Peet's on Sat. of the con, and found their coffee to be quite good, but I didn't notice if they were open 24/7, or even late.  Does anyone know? :?

Peet's is not open 24/7.  I don't know of any coffee place that would keep such hours of operation.  I do know that there is a Starbucks just down the road a bit from the SJCC that has longer hours.  This whole coffee topic is a bit odd.  I don't recall any outrage over the lack of coffee outlets when Fanime was at the SCCC?  What gives?
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
JTAF 1 & 2

Tenba

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"I don't recall any outrage over the lack of coffee outlets when Fanime was at the SCCC?  What gives?
I'm not seeing outrage here.  I'm just seeing a few people nicely and politely wishing for more coffee.  It sounds like people accept that Fanime tried, but it's not Fanime's decision.  And, I agree that there might be something about walking past a closed Starbucks that reminds people that they miss their daily dose of warm caffeine.  As fans, we know that Fanime can't fix everything, but it's still somehow comforting to talk about it, and we do get useful information about potential solutions (like there's a Peet's too) if we mention our wish lists on the board.  Please don't take it as a criticism of Fanime or anything -- I'm sure it wasn't meant like that.  It looks like just wishing, not "outrage".

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "tenba"
Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"I don't recall any outrage over the lack of coffee outlets when Fanime was at the SCCC?  What gives?
I'm not seeing outrage here.......... I'm sure it wasn't meant like that.  It looks like just wishing, not "outrage".

It isn't literal Tenba...(sigh)
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
JTAF 1 & 2

Tenba

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"
Quote from: "tenba"
I'm not seeing outrage here.......... I'm sure it wasn't meant like that.  It looks like just wishing, not "outrage".
It isn't literal Tenba...(sigh)
Oh...  Sorry.   :oops:

Tuplica

Well, actually, the Santa Clara Con Center had a little coffee stand in '03... I didn't notice anything in '02, but I wasn't looking in '02.  

Truth be told- the cold coffee, at least, at the stand was terrible in '03. XD  There were ground beans at the bottom and everything... but it was open until late evening, and I wasn't gonna be picky when I was in need of java. *nod*

Anyway... I dunno about all con-goers, but to this con-goer, caffeine is as necessary as bathing.  Just that it needs to be done about 5x more times a day, at least.  *nodnodnod* XD

M

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"Peet's is not open 24/7.  I don't know of any coffee place that would keep such hours of operation.  I do know that there is a Starbucks just down the road a bit from the SJCC that has longer hours.  This whole coffee topic is a bit odd.  I don't recall any outrage over the lack of coffee outlets when Fanime was at the SCCC?  What gives?

There's a Starbucks in San Leandro (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the location; it's next to the Target) that's open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and that place is always packed. =)

That's the only location I know of though.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "MPLe"There's a Starbucks in San Leandro (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the location; it's next to the Target) that's open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and that place is always packed. =)

The success of Starbucks is with their endless locations always within reach.  The bay area is littered with them.  San Jose is no exception.  There are lots of them in downtown SJ.

W.Santa Clara & San Pedro Sq. 145 West Santa Clara Street

Pavillion Downtown  150 S. First Street

101 Park Center Plaza 125 Park Center Plaza

SJCC Location (Fanime) 408 Almaden Blvd.

There are more to the West of Highway 87 and to the north.  Enjoy!
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
JTAF 1 & 2

frumpy

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"
Quote from: "MPLe"There's a Starbucks in San Leandro (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the location; it's next to the Target) that's open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and that place is always packed. =)

The success of Starbucks is with their endless locations always within reach.  The bay area is littered with them.  San Jose is no exception.  There are lots of them in downtown SJ.

W.Santa Clara & San Pedro Sq. 145 West Santa Clara Street

Pavillion Downtown  150 S. First Street

101 Park Center Plaza 125 Park Center Plaza

SJCC Location (Fanime) 408 Almaden Blvd.

There are more to the West of Highway 87 and to the north.  Enjoy!

But are those open 24/7??? I know of 2 locations in San Francisco that's open 24/7:

-Union Square - Powell/Masonic
-Howard/7th Street? (i think i have the cross streets wrong)
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

G.I.R

Quote from: "frumpy"But are those open 24/7??? I know of 2 locations in San Francisco that's open 24/7:

-Union Square - Powell/Masonic
-Howard/7th Street? (i think i have the cross streets wrong)
... uh, yeah. I think we're looking for a location that's in the less than fourty-five mile range from the convention center.
IMHO, Starbucks is the beverage equiveant of a cheap cigar,  it smell like someone is working with roofing tar,  and tastes about the same as tar. :x

Tech 13

Hey folks,
Just so you know, the Starbucks in SJCC is not officially operated by Starbucks.  It is operated by Centerplate (the Food and Beverage company at SJCC) and is a licensee of Starbucks.  That's it looks, tastes and smells like a Starbucks but the prices and hours are different.

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "Tech 13"Hey folks,
Just so you know, the Starbucks in SJCC is not officially operated by Starbucks.  It is operated by Centerplate (the Food and Beverage company at SJCC) and is a licensee of Starbucks.  That's it looks, tastes and smells like a Starbucks but the prices and hours are different.

In the technical sense, the Starbucks kiosk is staffed by the SJCC.  Anything that appears inside at the SJCC does so at their discretion.  That is why you saw finally had sushi at Fanime this year.   Its like selling food at a stadium. Someone owns the food contract, so to get a piece of the action you have to see the big boss man.  This is standard oeprating procedure at colleges too.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
JTAF 1 & 2

Leishu

The unfortunate truth is that pretty much every reputable establishment in Santa Clara County closes at about 9:30PM :p
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.