Maul Starbucks.. er..

Started by Tuplica, June 19, 2005, 05:04:18 AM

Nyxyin

Quote from: "Leishu"The unfortunate truth is that pretty much every reputable establishment in Santa Clara County closes at about 9:30PM :p
I don't know what you consider "reputable", but we usually do TGI Friday's during late nights.

Leishu

They don't count! Shush! >_<
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

grove

On the subject of caffiene...

How about caffiene pills? Would those work just as well as coffee in a pinch? Mayhap Fanime could get someone to sell song LOL.
The chicka with the kick.

Cowpunk

I recall ordering coffee at Peet's pretty late during the con, something like 10 PM or so.

It is at the other end of the convention center from Starbucks, but it also has a good, if small, seating area.
Gilles Poitras
Obsession: Anime

Tuplica

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"The success of Starbucks is with their endless locations always within reach.  The bay area is littered with them.  San Jose is no exception.  There are lots of them in downtown SJ.

W.Santa Clara & San Pedro Sq. 145 West Santa Clara Street

Pavillion Downtown  150 S. First Street

101 Park Center Plaza 125 Park Center Plaza

SJCC Location (Fanime) 408 Almaden Blvd.

There are more to the West of Highway 87 and to the north.  Enjoy!

Thanks kindly.  Though they're not 24/7, anything's better than operating 'til two. >_<

Quote from: "frumpy"
-Union Square - Powell/Masonic
-Howard/7th Street? (i think i have the cross streets wrong)

Ah.  Though unrelated to Fanime, thanks for this.  Now I know where to get my 24/7 student coffee hit when I start going to school in the city...

As for caffeine pills... Ah, I had caffeine supplements.  They're good, and can keep you going 'in a pinch', but... there's a diff between a nice hot coffee and a pill/chew/energy drink/whatever.

Quote from: "cowpunk"I recall ordering coffee at Peet's pretty late during the con, something like 10 PM or so.

It is at the other end of the convention center from Starbucks, but it also has a good, if small, seating area.

Also thanks.  Very good stuff to know...

Quote from: "G.I.R."IMHO, Starbucks is the beverage equiveant of a cheap cigar, it smell like someone is working with roofing tar, and tastes about the same as tar.

I've actually heard people say things like that before... as far as the taste's concerned.  I dunno.  I guess the crack (or whatever addictive substance it is they put in the stuff) has gotten to me or something... though the smell, I gotta say, I love.  But I always love the smell of coffee and usually can't stand the coffee's flavor.  I'm a weird one.  8)
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "Tuplica"
Quote from: "G.I.R."]IMHO, Starbucks is the beverage equiveant of a cheap cigar, it smell like someone is working with roofing tar, and tastes about the same as tar.

I've actually heard people say things like that before... as far as the taste's concerned.  I dunno.  I guess the crack (or whatever addictive substance it is they put in the stuff) has gotten to me or something... though the smell, I gotta say, I love.  But I always love the smell of coffee and usually can't stand the coffee's flavor.  I'm a weird one.  8)

ah, we're talking about coffee.....didn't know a beverage could taste like a cigar.  Never had the pleasure of eating a cigar.  Guess those types of things happen to people when they stay awake and mistake a cigar for a beverage. :?
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

frumpy

As an avid coffee drinker...I can honestly say there IS a difference in taste.

One time, I drank regular coffee from a nearby cafe. My friend had a cup from Starbucks. I drank from his cup by accident, then drank out of my cup - I swear, my coffee tasted like dirt compared to Starbucks! There's only 3 places I'm willing to drink from: Tully's, Peets, or Starbucks.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

Mach5Motorsport

Ah, but I too am an avid worshiper of the "cup o' java"   :o

I was raised on press box coffee.  Coffee so strong you could almost see it dissolve the plastic spoon the media members used to mix in the sugar and cream.  :shock:

Starbucks is better than some Denny's I've been to.  And I'm sure that a few of you out there aren't so picky about a good hot pick-me-up-when-I've-hit-the-wall drink and Starbuck is all there is. :?
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
JTAF 1 & 2

frumpy

I have to admit, best coffee I've EVER had....was at Bellagio's Cafe in Las Vegas! Coffee so smooth, you don't even need to add sugar or cream. Yum....
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

Tuplica

Quote from: "frumpy"I have to admit, best coffee I've EVER had....was at Bellagio's Cafe in Las Vegas! Coffee so smooth, you don't even need to add sugar or cream. Yum....

Y'all are making me want coffee, but it's 5 am and I've already been up all night.  Aw, screw it, time to make a pot.  Now I know what to do when I go to Vegas...  8)
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

jinnai_animexcalibur

Bellagio...friggin expensive, but if you got the dough....why not?

i just eat at the local dennys HAHA.
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

G.I.R

Quote from: "Mach5Motorsport"
ah, we're talking about coffee.....didn't know a beverage could taste like a cigar.  Never had the pleasure of eating a cigar.  Guess those types of things happen to people when they stay awake and mistake a cigar for a beverage. :?
Uh, yeah.  That's supposed to be an analogy.  :roll:  
I'm not trying to say it tastes like a "Cheap Cigar", it's just the coffee equivalent of it.  Acctualy, Peets smelled pretty strong, but at least the taste was good.  Starbucks, on the other hand tastes about like it smells. :x
Quote from: "frumpy"I have to admit, best coffee I've EVER had....was at Bellagio's Cafe in Las Vegas! Coffee so smooth, you don't even need to add sugar or cream. Yum....
That sounds like my ideal coffee: good strait up! :D

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "G.I.R"
Uh, yeah.  That's supposed to be an analogy.  :roll:  
I'm not trying to say it tastes like a "Cheap Cigar", it's just the coffee equivalent of it.  Acctualy, Peets smelled pretty strong, but at least the taste was good.  Starbucks, on the other hand tastes about like it smells. :x

yeah, which is why I was being sarcastic with my response.  :)  Which Starbucks blend tastes as good as it smells???? Denny's coffee ain't setting the coffee world abuzz either, ya know.  they only have one blend...and it tastes like you're at Denny's.  :cry:
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
JTAF 1 & 2

G.I.R

Oh man, don't even get me started on Denny's! :x I could tell you a real horror story from A-Kon 98!

Funny story: About five, or six years ago when Starbucks was just getting big,  KNBC 4 L.A. did an on the street blind tast test with coffee from Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, 7-Eleven, and MacDonalds coffee.  Guess which got the most picks as best? 7-Eleven!!!  :shock:

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "G.I.R"Oh man, don't even get me started on Denny's! :x I could tell you a real horror story from A-Kon 98!

OOOOhHH Storytime!!!! Storytime!!!!!  Hee-hee :D

Funny story: About five, or six years ago when Starbucks was just getting big,  KNBC 4 L.A. did an on the street blind tast test with coffee from Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, 7-Eleven, and MacDonalds coffee.  Guess which got the most picks as best? 7-Eleven!!!  :shock:

Actually, I remember a few years ago that 7-Eleven had a fairly big commercial campaign based on their coffee winning a taste test.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
JTAF 1 & 2

G.I.R

Quote from: "G.I.R"Oh man, don't even get me started on Denny's! :x I could tell you a real horror story from A-Kon 98!

OOOOhHH Storytime!!!! Storytime!!!!!  Hee-hee :D
Okay, here's the  "in a nutshell" version.  That year, A-kon was held at a hotel just outside of DFW Airport (this was the first time I went).  The only places to eat were a cafe in the hotel lobby (that was only open from about 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.), and a Denny's accross the street.  Nothing else near by.
I get to the hotel about 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, check in, get my badge, and get together with a bunch of freinds.  about 10:30, we decide to get something to eat, with Denny's being our only option.
There were ten people in our group, but Denny's had maybe 12 people in the place when we got there.  We place our orders.  I'm not that hungry, so I order a milk shake.  Slowly, more people start comeing over from the hotel. About fourty minutes later, the first of our orders start coming to our table.  It takes about another fifty minutes for everyone to get their order.  Guess who got served almost last?  Me! Almost nintey F@$#%^G minutes for a milk shake!!! :x  Thank God  I had the forthought to bring some food with me.
To this day, me and my freinds have this joke about Denny's:  Denny's isn't racist, they treat all their coustomers that way.  :lol:

toXicSadism

Someone should consider selling coffee out of their hotel room. *ponders* Buy some good Starbucks beans and maybe 1 or 2 other brands and then just...set up shop in a hotel room. *nodnods*

G.I.R

Sounds good, but how do you let people know which room (or hotel for that matter...) to go to? :roll:

toXicSadism

Post it on this board, let it spread by word of mouth? Flyers? A sign? The list goes on and on and on...

Tuplica

Quote from: "toXicSadism"Post it on this board, let it spread by word of mouth? Flyers? A sign? The list goes on and on and on...

Agreed, not a horrible idea, but you'd probably have to bring your own extra coffee pots (Since the in-room coffee makers are only capable of so much) and at least as far as the Hilton is concerned, you don't know what your room number is until you actually check in, and most people are already at the convention center by that time so they wouldn't see the board... and printing out flyers after you get there?  Pricey and rushed.  

Though what might not hurt is making the coffee ahead of time in your room, throwing it into some of those giant thermoses and going downstairs and selling it.  Providing you could get a permit/find a legal place to do it/get permission/whatever it is you need to and people'd actually be willing to buy it without being paranoid that it contained some kind of icky thing...

Personally?  I'm just breaking open that baby coffee maker next year, throwing it all in a giant thermos and carrying it around with me.  I'll strap the mother to my back.  You'll see me from a mile away.  TUPLICA THE CAFFEINE JUNKIE! Who needs a sign?  I've got a thermos.