Summer 2005 Anime

Started by Tsubasa, July 21, 2005, 12:06:30 PM

Tsubasa

What do you peoples think of this new season's anime?

Kamichu!?  D.C.S.S ~Da Capo Second Season~?  Okusama wa Joshikosei?  Suzuka?  Amaenaide Yo!?  Kidou Shinsengumi Moeyo Ken TV?  SHUFFLE!?  Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid?  TIDE-LINE Blue?  Ichigo Mashimaro?  PaniPoni Dash!?  Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo?

I've seen a good deal of first episodes and here are my very brief recommendations broken down into very general "should you watch them" categories:

Watch worthy: Kamichu!, D.C.S.S. ~Da Capo Second Season~, SHUFFLE!, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Ichigo Mashimaro

Stay clear of: Okusama wa Joshikosei, Suzuka, Amaenaide Yo!, Kidou Shinsengumi Moeyo Ken TV

Judgement still out on: TIDE-LINE Blue

Have yet to see: PaniPoni Dash!, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Chun

I heard Da Capo is good so I need to see the first season first. I've just finished Kanon, so I'm in the mood for another game-based anime.

My list with their ratings (5= a classic for this season, 4=entertaining to watch 3= nothing new, but good 2= clone/what? 1= terrible. eww.)

5s:Not much out of the sort at the moment.

4s: Suzuka (I don't know. It was pretty good to me; it's not love hina, and the main character has a brain, not completely accident prone).

3s: Okusama wa Joshikosei (It's likeable because it's different. But still nothing ground breaking).

2s: Amaenaide Yo! (It's love hina. With monks. Oh, and the guy powers up by seeing a girl naked.)

Still judging:

Shuffle! (The coding on the one I have sucks, so I'm going to get Froth-bite's release of episode 1), Ichigo Marshimaro (Yet to see a sub), Kamichu!(The "sub" I got from MEYRIN was really a "raw". Tch.)

Outside of this season, I've been following the subs of Mahoraba and Tsukiyomi (Both of which I know have ended already, but subs haven't come out).

It seems that the anime this year are based around slightly lolish or harem animes (They are popular genres, so who can complain). I haven't seen much originality thus far (Not including the series I haven't seen yet). Hopefully later this year there will be something ground breaking.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Tsubasa

Yeah, D.C. ~Da Capo~ is good.  Watch it.  You won't be disappointed. =P

Kanon is great.  Congrats on finishing it.

I think Suzuka is too sober for my tastes.  It just doesn't make for exciting entertainment.  The animation is a little sub-par and none of the characters particuarily interest me.

Okusama wa Joshikosei is extremely, extremely mediocre.  Although the basic premiss may or may not have been explored already, its writing leaves a lot to be desired and everything feels like I've seen it before.  Only for die-hard Kawasumi Ayako fans (she voices the main girl) and then, they'll watch crying.

Folks, go get your Kawasumi Ayako fix this season in Ichigo Mashimaro.  She makes for an adorable Matsuri. ^^

Amaenaide Yo! just sucks.  Plain and simple.  The only series I'd rank lower this season is Kidou Shinsengumi Moeyo Ken TV.  OMG, now that's crap.

SHUFFLE! is fun.  It gives me the D.C. vibe: kinda a kick-back attitude, some genuinely good comedy, and plenty of cute girls.  It's a solid watch.  And Chun, if it motivates you more, it's based on a bishoujo ADV by Navel.

Meyrin's Kamichu! release was a raw video file coupled with a subtitle file.  You should be able to view it in Media Player just fine.  You may or may not have to toggle on the subtitles under the view menu.  If I'm not mistaken, Media Player will display subtitles by default if a sub file is available in the same directory.

This is definately a season of loli if you ask me.  Kamichu!, Ichigo Mashimaro, and PaniPoni Dash! all feature some pretty young girls.  PaniPoni Dash! is even by the makers of Tsukuyomi and features Saitou Chiwa (voice of Hazuki in Tsukuyomi ^^; ).  The shows are also among the better of the season so I hear.  I can confirm that Kamichu! and Ichigo Mashimaro are.
-Tsubasa

Sunara Ishi

I like Kamichu!, Shuffle!, and Full Metal Panic TSR but I've yet to see the others yet.

I just wish it was easier to get the normal subtitle versions of Kamichu! cause my media player is messed up and can't play the hdtv ones. I can't seem to figure out whats wrong when I have the latest version and the subtitles still won't toggle on. Whatever you do, don't get the subs from LLLFF. They're joke subs from what I saw. It made me mad.

I'm still trying to finish Da Capo before I watch the second series.

I also have yet to see a sub of Ichigo Mashimaro.

One of these days I'll check out the others but I have to wait till I finish more of what I have already.

>.> I loved Kanon. It was great.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Chun

Quote from: "Tsubasa"Kanon is great.  Congrats on finishing it.

Thanks. I needed that kind of romance anime after a few dissapointments.

QuoteI think Suzuka is too sober for my tastes.  It just doesn't make for exciting entertainment.  The animation is a little sub-par and none of the characters particuarily interest me.

Suzuka is a strong willed character that interests me in terms of what kinds of problems she deals with and how she deals with the protagonist. The protagonist himself iactial has a brain as to feelings of other characters and has his own charm. I've been particular to these part-slice of life animes, so that's a bit of my bias. The ED is mind numbing too. (run! jump! shout! stretch! :P)

QuoteOkusama wa Joshikosei is extremely, extremely mediocre.  Although the basic premiss may or may not have been explored already, its writing leaves a lot to be desired and everything feels like I've seen it before.  Only for die-hard Kawasumi Ayako fans (she voices the main girl) and then, they'll watch crying.

I just finished episode 2 and I can see what you mean. They use Asami as a very easy to victimize plot character, and the teacher with her is nothing short of just "we love each other at home, but at school we can only help one another once in a while". Still I watch it though.

QuoteSHUFFLE! is fun.  It gives me the D.C. vibe: kinda a kick-back attitude, some genuinely good comedy, and plenty of cute girls.  It's a solid watch.  And Chun, if it motivates you more, it's based on a bishoujo ADV by Navel.

No need :D. I've been looking forward to this since I saw the fun prologue, and are going to get Froth-Bite's copies now.

QuoteMeyrin's Kamichu! release was a raw video file coupled with a subtitle file.  You should be able to view it in Media Player just fine.  You may or may not have to toggle on the subtitles under the view menu.  If I'm not mistaken, Media Player will display subtitles by default if a sub file is available in the same directory.

I see. I'm familiar with just using Media Player classic to play the files, but for some reason even without the subtitles, the .avi lags terribly (Even though all the others go like normal), and I have the necessary codecs. I'd rather get something less technical.

QuoteThis is definately a season of loli if you ask me.  Kamichu!, Ichigo Mashimaro, and PaniPoni Dash! all feature some pretty young girls.  PaniPoni Dash! is even by the makers of Tsukuyomi and features Saitou Chiwa (voice of Hazuki in Tsukuyomi ^^; ).  The shows are also among the better of the season so I hear.  I can confirm that Kamichu! and Ichigo Mashimaro are.

Tsukiyomi had a great story and uber cute main character. I need to check out PaniPony Dash! when a sub comes out, been hearing fun stuff about it. Ichigo Marshimaro as well; I've read some of the manga, and seen the prologue enough to like it and get ready for it.

Ah... Ayu....Nayuki...Mai.... Need to nab stuff about them next Con.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Bata-kun

"Kishimoken's" television series's that bad?  I can understand if Matsui Naoko-san, Orikasa Ai-san and Ikezawa Haruna-san don't return, but other than that, it's another "Sakura Taisen" (which makes sense because they're both Red games).  Oh wait.  Both series' anime series are not that great if you compare them to their original games.

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Chun"Ah... Ayu....Nayuki...Mai.... Need to nab stuff about them next Con.
No love for Makoto?  Sometimes I feel like I'm her only fan. ; ;  Nayuki's my fav though.

Quote from: "Bata-kun""Kishimoken's" television series's that bad?  I can understand if Matsui Naoko-san, Orikasa Ai-san and Ikezawa Haruna-san don't return, but other than that, it's another "Sakura Taisen" (which makes sense because they're both Red games).  Oh wait.  Both series' anime series are not that great if you compare them to their original games.
As an owner of Sakura Taisen 1-4 & the PS2 remake of 1, I can reaffirm this statement.  Although, I will protest that the second OVA was very fun and enjoyable.
-Tsubasa

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "Tsubasa"
Quote from: "Chun"Ah... Ayu....Nayuki...Mai.... Need to nab stuff about them next Con.
No love for Makoto?  Sometimes I feel like I'm her only fan. ; ;  Nayuki's my fav though.
No your not. XP
Makoto's one of my faves along with Ayu. Though she takes second to Ayu.

Was Kidou Shinsengumi Moeyo Ken TV really that bad? Cause I normally like Rumiko Takahashi's stuff. >.>
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"Was Kidou Shinsengumi Moeyo Ken TV really that bad? Cause I normally like Rumiko Takahashi's stuff. >.>
It is that bad.  It's cheap, cheesy, and overall lame.  The direction leaves much to be desired.  It's occasionally comical, but alas, unintentially.

The animation is the worse I've seen in a while too.  Like, really stupid bad.  I think I can fund an entire episode on one week's pay.

Lets just say I promptly deleted the file, felt dirty, and wanted my 24 minutes back.
-Tsubasa

Sunara Ishi

Ah, ok. Thanks for letting me know.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: "Tsubasa"Stay clear of: Okusama wa Joshikosei, Suzuka, Amaenaide Yo!
Dude, Okusama is the shiznat, not exactly enticing but its fun as a guilty pleasure. Suzuka, well I generally hate sports anime but this definitely worth a look if not just for 1 episode and Amaenaideyo is uber shounen but it was dropped by froth bite, so sad.

Tsubasa

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"Dude, Okusama is the shiznat, not exactly enticing but its fun as a guilty pleasure. Suzuka, well I generally hate sports anime but this definitely worth a look if not just for 1 episode and Amaenaideyo is uber shounen but it was dropped by froth bite, so sad.
Since my posting, this is what I've heard about those series:

Okusama wa Joshikosei - didn't improve.  I hear if you want the service, seek the manga cause it does it better.

Suzuka - there are people who really like this and apparently the manga is pretty good.  I still probably won't give it much of a shot unless someone gives me the entire series someday or something.

Amaenaide Yo! - didn't improve either.  I hear it's only for service and apparently it delivers.
-Tsubasa