Cosplay Weapons Question! Please Help!

Started by Hitokiri_Cerbure, September 18, 2005, 04:33:09 PM

Hitokiri_Cerbure

I know and have read all of the rules about cosplay weapons, but no not mention even the rules don't stae anything about cap guns. So does anyone know if plastic cap guns without caps will be allowed to cosplay with, or know someone I can at least contact to find out. The actual site is down now for some reason, so that's out of the question. Someone please help me in any way possible! Thanks!

There Is Fear, There Is Strength, There Is Love!
     I Will Protect You At All Costs, I Promise!

Jyunishinsho

Anything that makes a *clack* sound or literally shoots something, most likely, it's not allowed.

angeljibrille

We are still working out all the details on the weapons policy (to comply with new California laws). We will be posting one that's ready to go. :) thanks for your patience.

~marisa
Cosplay Events

Hitokiri_Cerbure

Quote from: "angeljibrille"We are still working out all the details on the weapons policy (to comply with new California laws). We will be posting one that's ready to go. :) thanks for your patience.

~marisa
Cosplay Events
Ok, thanks! :D

Croquet

what if it's just a semi-realistic toy gun that makes lame sound effects when you press the trigger?
Let's play
some Croquet!

hellangel

Quote from: "Croquet"what if it's just a semi-realistic toy gun that makes lame sound effects when you press the trigger?

i remember that all guns, no matter how fake, have to have the ugly orange cap on the end. but don't quote me on that ^^"
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

AngelKawaii

Quote from: "hellangel"
Quote from: "Croquet"what if it's just a semi-realistic toy gun that makes lame sound effects when you press the trigger?

i remember that all guns, no matter how fake, have to have the ugly orange cap on the end. but don't quote me on that ^^"
what if you paint that cap a different color? Sounds lame, but it's a possibility.

qazplm872

i would say just wait for the new site to come back online and look then. we still have ALOT of time to make what we need. and most likey and needs to be obvious to all (even stupid ppl...like me) that it is complety fake. so colored tip, lil to no sounds. and i would check it with the wepons ppl at fanime to cover me butt.
gwenny

Hitokiri_Cerbure

What I want to know is what type of guns/toy guns or whatever (cap guns, rubber dart guns, fake prop guns, etc.) are allowed and which ones are not. Of course I get it checked at conops, but I just don't want to bring one that is not allowed and end up getting in trouble or kicked out or anything like that.

angeljibrille

We will have a weapon's policy posted on the web site with enough time for you to prepare before the con to bring something safe. We promise. We are currently working out all the details, and there are several different points of view on this stuff! :) Please give us a little time. We have had new staff come on board (like me!) and we are all still negotiating. :)

However, please note that there will be slightly different rules for what's acceptable for the Masquerade contest because it's really a different thing. I know that a lot of people want to design the EXACT replica of something and want to get credit for that in Craftsmanship (which is a new bonus contest added onto Masquerade this year). So, we will be a little more flexible with more accurate (yet must still be fake!) weapons that you can bring to Craftmsanship judging and to the Masquerade itself-- but only to those contests and not to carry around the con iteself.

Anyway, I hope that helps and isn't too confusing. We will post an official policy as soon as one is available.

Thanks for your patience :D
Marisa
Cosplay Manager

P.S. I made this thread sticky so that people can post weapon's questions in this thread as it gets closer to the convention.

Jyunishinsho

What about a crossbow that has no spring action (it is removed), no arrows, and is clearly harmless? Will it go through?

hellangel

ehm, probably? i carried around a bow without arrows before...
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Hitokiri_Cerbure

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"What about a crossbow that has no spring action (it is removed), no arrows, and is clearly harmless? Will it go through?
If you mean like a crossbow gun, most likely not. Believe it or not, those are more dangerous than firearms. Now if it is a fake one (good luck finding a fake one), like a sponge dart/nerf one or something, probally so.

Phydeaux

The site appears to be "down for renovation". Can anyone tell me what the policy on swords is? Is it like the CA RenFaire, where it's a 1/16th inch edge? Or no edge? Or no swords? Gah! Must know for costume planning...

Dante

Quote from: "Phydeaux"Can anyone tell me what the policy on swords is? Is it like the CA RenFaire, where it's a 1/16th inch edge? Or no edge? Or no swords? Gah! Must know for costume planning...

You got it right in 3 my friend.  The policy continues no metal blades of ANY kind.  Although if you do foam with a metal (cylindrical pole) center that seems to be okay.  What kind of sword are you thinking?

Ive been wondering on the same front.  A model enthusiast friend of mine bought one of the chinese style wooden swords from Armorgeddon, sanded off the finish, primered and panted the blade a very realistic metallic, then gave it two clearcoat finsh to produce a VERY realistic looking, but con legal blade.  Perhaps that could work for you?
"I am the Bad Wolf,
I create myself.
I take the words.
I scatter them .. in time and space.
A message to lead myself here..."

Zekke

I have these Kunai, but they are made of plastic and they're not full size, do you think they are ok?

xMkLx

they sell metal kunais at fanime. so oviously they are
Rawr

Zekke

well actually, now i have a full sized one, but its PVC plastic.

xMkLx

I have a full size metal one. Last year my friend and I were running around fanime with them. We didnt get in trouble xept me cuz i had a boken. which I got busted for like 2348u3240823942830 times x_x
Rawr

drkshdow292

I really hope you can use some kinda gun or weapon cuz im gonna be leon scott kennedy from Resident Evil 4/ bow chicka bow wow