Doujin/Original Doujin Game Dealer

Started by Chun, September 24, 2005, 11:34:36 PM

Chun

Sorry if this post seems a bit repetitive another, but I would REALLY love to see a dealer with some sort of doujin games ready to be purchased (and I'm not alone in this).

At the moment I realize J-list is a possible bishoujo game and doujin game retailer, but the whole price of travel vs. profit ordeal is pretty steep. I've taken a look at other Californian shops that specialize in this area, and dug this one up...

Mandarake USA
21515 S. Western Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 212-0777
http://www.mandarakela.com/

This is the first U.S. branch for the legendary Japanese anime "mega-store". Mandarake specializes in second-hand anime items, but don't be put-off: it is because they specialize in 2nd-hand items that you are able to find all the rarest, coolest anime goods. They carry nearly everything you can think of: posters, CDs, LDs, cels, stickers, figures, manga, doujinshi, shitajiki (pencil boards) and more. Some examples of ultra-rare items they have: how about an original cel of Ashitaka from Mononoke Hime signed by Miyazaki Hayao himself? Or an original Claris figure from Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro? Or how about some original, out-of-print poster of Lum from Urusei Yatsura? They also have many new items that customers here in the U.S. are now selling to Mandarake—Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Pokémon, even Godzilla and other kaiju goods. And lastly, they get new shipments of items from Japan all the time, and they rotate out their stock so new stuff shows up.

So the site says.

I noticed Hen Da Ne was also rumored to have doujin games. However, when I walked by the booth all I saw was H-doujinshi.

The reason I'm posting is mostly because I couldn't find any sort of Melty Blood, EFZ, or Party Breaker stuff last year, and with my newfound touhou obsession I've been calling the bay area stores with no luck.

So.... basically, the site of theirs is down, but could they possibly be put into the show this year?

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Chun"I noticed Hen Da Ne was also rumored to have doujin games. However, when I walked by the booth all I saw was H-doujinshi.
No rumor; fact.  Hen Da Ne always has a few doujin games at their booth.  Last year it was a rather paltry showing, but the year prior they had things like Melty Blood, EFZ, Party's Breaker, QoH '99, etc.

If you want doujin games, don't count on the Fanime dealer's room at all.  Go online.  Most of the most sought after games are available from Himeya.  If they aren't, you resort to Yahoo! Japan auctions or random Japanese shops that'll actually ship overseas.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Tsubasa"
Quote from: "Chun"I noticed Hen Da Ne was also rumored to have doujin games. However, when I walked by the booth all I saw was H-doujinshi.
No rumor; fact.  Hen Da Ne always has a few doujin games at their booth.  Last year it was a rather paltry showing, but the year prior they had things like Melty Blood, EFZ, Party's Breaker, QoH '99, etc.

If you want doujin games, don't count on the Fanime dealer's room at all.  Go online.  Most of the most sought after games are available from Himeya.  If they aren't, you resort to Yahoo! Japan auctions or random Japanese shops that'll actually ship overseas.

At Fani2005, though, they did have some more obscure doujin game stuff (Nayukanoid, anyone?).

But yeah, I don't have any chance of getting the stuff online, so I hope that Fanime 06's dealer room will carry that stuff. ^_^
epic progressive

vox

Tsukai Mori

I feel the pain circulating in the fanime dealer's room. So many people looking for the things they want and so many dealers not carrying the things we want. To name a few:
Doujin Games - WAAAAAH! I can't buy them online!
Kosmos Plushie - Honestly, have you even seen one?
Potato from Air - I love animals... but I love potatoes more.
yada yada yada.

I'm quite sure we all wished the fanime dealer's room provided all the needs for the fans, but really, we just have to hope and wait, right?

Chun

Quote from: "Tsubasa"If you want doujin games, don't count on the Fanime dealer's room at all.  Go online.  Most of the most sought after games are available from Himeya.  If they aren't, you resort to Yahoo! Japan auctions or random Japanese shops that'll actually ship overseas.

The problem with that is that I don't currently have any way to buy online. So I mostly count on local stock and bike there, no matter how far.

But I'll have to check out Hen Da Ne more throughly this next year.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

lyricaldanichan

EDIT: Actually that address you have for mandarake was the old one when they were in Mitsuwa Torrance. They are no longer in the US after all :(.

Hopefully Anime Gamers will bring a bigger stock of stuff since the previous years has been lackluster.

Also would be interesting if Akadot had a booth for fanime, but since they are DMP owned I dunno if they would come up.

Anybody know if Animate in LA is DOA? They really had some awesome stuff at the time I went in 2001 (bebop merchandise, doujinshi supplies etc, rare FLCL poster, ect).

I just wish Book Off would come up from LA to here or at least have a store in SJ/SF (mostly so I can sell off my jp shoujo manga). lol

sykoeent

Skizzup

QuoteKosmos Plushie - Honestly, have you even seen one?

they dont even made a LEGIT kos mos plushie....

Emerge

were there any dealers who sold these this year?

Spiritsnare

I combed the dealer's room to find absolutely nothing this year.

J-List, however, is debating attempting to import doujin games. Chun should know; he was with me when I made the request.

As for purchasing things online, I've found a five-step method that works:

1. Go to your local Longs Drugs store.
2. Find their prepaid card section.
3. Find a Visa prepaid card (the one where you don't have to activate -- the one-time use one).
4. Pay for it at the register (+3.95 activation fee).
5. Use it to buy anything that involves Paypal.

This (well, sorta; I got a prepaid card at the Stanford Shopping Centre, and that one doesn't have the region lock, allowing me to bypass Paypal) is how I got a legal copy of Planetarian.
epic progressive

vox

Tsubasa

I also had an eye out and also nothing.  As I stated above, just go to Himeya.  The most accessible doujin game retailer period.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Emerge

yea. i used himeya to get mbr, with a little trouble. not really on their part. more on my friends'. but, after one email, things were straightened out and i was no longer a doujin virgin. thanks, himeya! :D *teeth shine, "ching" sound*

joshness

Another alternative is opening up a Washington Mutual bank account. (All you need is $1 to put into the account) Save up and do some small deposits to your account. Then you can use your debit card as a MasterCard. Later, you can apply for a student Visa (or is it Mastercard now?).  Limit of $500 with a High APR, but its always good to start your credit as early as possible. Remember, most credit card companies let you do online payments. Make a purchase on your card and pay it off right away. It'll make life a 100% easier when you are working.