CosPlay Event Ideas-Your input please!

Started by dealerJason, September 25, 2005, 10:32:00 PM

dealerJason

Hello Folks,
The following are some ideas that have come up during Pre-Planning meetings.  I offer them up to you now to see what you think about these ideas.  I changed the name in the hopes that it will gain more interest.  I really do want your input.  Tell me what you think!

1. Fountain Awards.
Our official CosPlay gathering area will be the fountain area out side McHenry.  The Awards would be a peer award that would be presented after the gathering on Stage Zero (more on that in another posting).  I would need the help and input of CosPlayers to make sure this goes semi-smoothly for the first year.

2. CosPlay Chess
Okay, imagine this.  We have Ranma 1/2 cosplayers playing Chess against Naruto CosPlayers.  The chess pieces are the CosPlayers themselves.  When a piece is taken, the cosplayer shows off their finishing move before the taken piece leaves the field!  We would use a speed Chess format, numbered tiles, and actual chess players to help facilitate this idea.  It has so many possiblities!

3. Fashion Show
Okay, I know you guys are great with needle and thread, but how about getting some recognition?  The Fashion Show would be your opportunity to create orginal costumes or outfits.  Prizes would be recognition of your achievement, in later years, scholarships could be possible.

4. Drive By Cos-Play
Ever just get an idea to do a skit in the middle of Con?  You guys have the people right there, it is brilliant, but you have no place to perform it and Der CosPlay is 2 days away.   If this has been your dilema, then Stage Zero is for you!   On top of its other programming, Stage Zero will offer CosPlayers a chance to do those quick impromtu skits or test out their skit ideas before their Sunday Performance.

Please, comment on these ideas.  Have you seen them at other cons?  Why did you like it?  Why didn't you?  What problems do you see?  Let me know.  I am wating to take notes.

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

dealerJason

Shameless bump because I want to see if the name through people off.  Even if it is evil and bad, let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

DayDreamerNessa

ate my post so now i have to rewrite everything -_-'

1. Fountain Awards.
~peer awards are nice, but it seems like too many people are hurt when this happens, either because people are upset over who wins, or loses. this could possibly lead to a popularity contest over the cosplayer, or the series they are cosplaying from or there character.

i say no

2. CosPlay Chess
i think this isn't that bad of an idea, i wouldn't be interested in this kind of event, but i think if there were enough people to participate it could work

i say yes

3. Fashion Show
~ i personally dont think theres enough people who attend fanime who make there own original costumes, and even if there is enough interest, who knows if people would want to watch?

i say maybe, but i'm leaning towards no

4. Drive By Cos-Play
~this event seems like it could be trouble, at con events like these seem too unpredictable and hard to handle/operate. theres problems like what if too many people want to participate? what if no one wants to participate? what if no one wants to watch it?

i say no

most of your ideas seem rough and could use a lot more elaboration, but i do understand your prolly just throwing out ideas right now gl~
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

yOna

I like the Cosplay Chess idea...though I imagine it to be a slow process.

I saw part of the masquerade, and at sometimes people just walk on stage for about 1 minute or two showing off their costume...yes? so maybe if you wanna put the fashion show, make it included in the masquerade....with all that stage space needed though, there would be less seats for people. i don't know. i like the idea though.
Christine L.
FanimeCon Registration Staff

Chibblz

On the cosplay chess idea, there are a lot of people willing to participate. The thread's here somewhere, and there were a lot of people who signed up. I'm sure that if we remake the thread especially for FanimeCon insted of having it at Sanata Row, we'd have many more people willing to play. ^^;

Croquet

Yeah, but would the cosplay chess have to be Naruto against Ranma 1/2? I imagined it more of everyone dresses as whichever character and we use paper hats to tell the pieces apart. And the teams could be black and white or something.
Let's play
some Croquet!

KindaRandomKris

*screams*
I had a huge, beautiful post that I was going to put up, and just as I hit the submit button, my computer shut down.

*ahem* Anyhow.
In regards to Cosplay Chess: The thread is somewhere on the second page - I haven't had the chance to bump it or anything.
The original idea of it was for it to be a costume free-for-all, not just Naruto and Ranma 1/2. I think Jason was just using that as an example of the series that could face off. I'm not sure if that's what the plan still is; I'm not part of staff/planning/etc., so I don't know.
Also, like Jason said, it'd be speed chess.

For everything else:

1. Fountain awards
As previously stated, I doubt it'd be possible to have fair and unbiased peer awards. There'd be a huge popularity race between famous/obscure characters and series, or well-known or generally new cosplayers.
I vote no.

2. Cosplay Chess
Biased opinion pwahaha. :D
I vote yes.

3. Fashion Show
A contest just for original ideas and designs would be awesome, but I'm concerned that it would just leave the door open for lazy-butt 'closet cosplayers'. I mean, it'd be totally awesome for those ultra-creative people to show off their costumes (like fairies, knights, etc.), but the lazy people would worm their way in too.

I vote maybe, but most likely no.

4. Drive by Cosplay
Ehh... It would be a great chance to allow improv actors and similar types of entertainers to show off their talents, but that seems like it'd be difficult to moderate and run.
I vote no.

These ideas do seem good, but could use a bit more solid planning and explanation. Maybe a little later on, with more thought and setting up, more of these ideas would be good.

~Kris a.k.a. Kirika-chan
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

dealerJason

*Throwing fountain awards idea away*
Okay then my next statement may help matters....

Fashion show and Drive By Cosplay will be held on a new venue called Stage Zero.

Stage Zero is to be a live show that will go all day and into the evening.  Programming will be fast and constant.  The idea of Stage Zero is for you to sit in one place and watch the con happen.  

Ideally
All guests will be brought to Stage Zero for short interviews.
Musical guests will preview their music.
Convention announcements
3-minute movies
TRL AMV's
Game shows
Talk show
Panel announcements
and just general fun.

or

We just give Steve Bennett a Microphone and we listen to him all day! *L*

If anyone saw what we did at RECCA Con in March of '05, then you will know what I am talking about.

I hope this clears up some of my ideas.

But don't worry, the Fountain Award idea is now buring in my trash can...

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

hakudoushi

1. Fountain Awards.
....you already have a descision for this. >_>

2. CosPlay Chess
thats a good idea, but what if there arent enough people who are from the same show? O_O

3. Fashion Show
scholarships? for what? O_O but sounds interesting ^^

4. Drive By Cos-Play
AWESOME!
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Kokuu

One idea is to do an informal masquerade where anyone can get up and show off their costume or perform just for fun, not competition, similar to how AX has the Chibi Masquerade.  

I like the cosplay chess idea, though I think it should be opened up to any characters.

For the drive by cosplay thing, a few friends and i were thinking about doing an iron chef thing
Henry Ong
Marketing Staff
ex-3 minute film head
100%Bishounen meat
FOLLOW THE PATH OF THE SEXY COMMANDO!!!

DayDreamerNessa

i still don't think you should have a fashion show, just because there aren't enough people who go to fanime who even make original costumes.

As for the idea of the 'drive by cosplay' the idea of making it like the chibi masquerade at ax would be better.

not everyone goes to reccacon so you should probably explain yourself cause i have no idea what the hell went on.

those are my opinions, but i personally think the only ones that could possibly work is the chess idea, and maybe the dive by if you set it up like ax's.

Spiritsnare

epic progressive

vox

Sunara Ishi

I say yes to CosPlay Chess and Fashion show.
We had these two ideas before and I still support them... I think they also were suggested in Ideas/Suggestions...

Maybe not necessary as single cosplay groups for the CosPlay Chess. I say for groups to decide their own combinations.  It doesn't have to be all in one series. I also think it should be open for any characters. We all know that not everyone that cosplays, cosplays as a group. (or a big group...) I might participate but the cosplays I'm thinking of doing won't have a lot of people cosplaying for....
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

BunofGovt

Quote from: "yOna"I like the Cosplay Chess idea...though I imagine it to be a slow process.

I saw part of the masquerade, and at sometimes people just walk on stage for about 1 minute or two showing off their costume...yes? so maybe if you wanna put the fashion show, make it included in the masquerade....with all that stage space needed though, there would be less seats for people. i don't know. i like the idea though.

If no Fashion show, will you take volunteers/sign-ups who want to show off their outfits to announce skits?  Take turns, or in-between the skits, just do a casual saunter across the stage?
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

DayDreamerNessa

BunofGovt wrote:
QuoteIf no Fashion show, will you take volunteers/sign-ups who want to show off their outfits to announce skits? Take turns, or in-between the skits, just do a casual saunter across the stage?

i thought that's the point of having an MC was to announce skits etc. i think that'd cause too many problems to have volunteer costumers. i think if the people who wanted to show off there costumes, should just enter the masquerade, after all thats what it's there for is to be entertaining, or to show your cosplay~

CC

I have one question in regard to the Chess Game... who would be moving people?

...... Actually, here's one more. Where would it be held? If it's directed by two sort of "overlord" players who direct the pieces, you'd need a pretty high vantage point to be able to see the whole board. Also, there might be a lot of injured costumes if the chessboard is too crowded, which might lead to a lot of heated arguments, which might lead to a ban on such activities. If we're using real people, and that's what it sounds like, you'd practically have to hold it in a basketball arena. Forgve me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen too many giant rooms in the convention center that are at least two stories high. If the game was played on a normal sized board with the moves called out to the pieces, well, that might work, but it wouldn't be as much fun, I think.

Don't get me wrong--I love the idea. I'm just confused about the... well, the battle plan for making it happen. I'd love to take pictures of it, if it ever happens, though....

And on the fashion show, I think it'd be a good idea if you made it more of a Goth-loli show. It seems like the majority of self-designed costumes are in that category, anyway, though that's still not all that common... what if you made it more like a costume challenge? Give out a basic idea, say, "pirates," months ahead of time, and then challenge cosplayers to come up with original "pirate" outfits? The idea wouldn't work now, since I don't think there's really enough time anymore for extra costumes, but if it was announced right after the last con, it could work.
Cosplay Ideas:

Too many to name!!!!!

dealerJason

The Fashion Show would allow those that create their own costumes an opportunity to make their own original designs.

Now, I know there is not a large hue and cry for this, but I know there are a few cosplayers who have bigger desires than just doing cosplay.

This is an opportunity to show off that desire.

The scholarships I speak of would be after a few years of the event.  I am hoping that this program will allow fans to actually turn their hobby into a job!

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Mai-chan

I vote a big *YES* on the fasion show and cosplay chess. I think that both these ideas would perk up the con nicely.

In terms of drive-by anime, sounds like it would be much fun if it were organized, i.e., the space was alotted, it was in the programs, people know about it, etc. Spontaneity is a fun thing.

--

Croquet

I love the cosplay chess idea, to death. As for the fashion show, it sounds cool, but I dont know anyone who makes their own costumes up. Maybe the fashion show could make it a more popular thing to do, but I'm not sure about this.... And also about the cosplay chess....what is speed chess?
Let's play
some Croquet!