CosPlay Event Ideas-Your input please!

Started by dealerJason, September 25, 2005, 10:32:00 PM

likkyan

Quote from: "CC"I have one question in regard to the Chess Game... who would be moving people?

...... Actually, here's one more. Where would it be held? If it's directed by two sort of "overlord" players who direct the pieces, you'd need a pretty high vantage point to be able to see the whole board. Also, there might be a lot of injured costumes if the chessboard is too crowded, which might lead to a lot of heated arguments, which might lead to a ban on such activities. If we're using real people, and that's what it sounds like, you'd practically have to hold it in a basketball arena. Forgve me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen too many giant rooms in the convention center that are at least two stories high. If the game was played on a normal sized board with the moves called out to the pieces, well, that might work, but it wouldn't be as much fun, I think.

Don't get me wrong--I love the idea. I'm just confused about the... well, the battle plan for making it happen. I'd love to take pictures of it, if it ever happens, though....

Ah, that's easily solved!  In the thread I believe we discussed having a simple, normal chess tourney, and then to have the winners play each other in the champiionship match with the cosplayers.  The two chess players would play on a regular chessboard, with an announcer (or two? or none?) telling the corresponding chess players where to move after each turn.  If we did that, it would be a lot less confusing.

Does that help?
"Only in Europe can you suck down a fag and be gay, but not homosexual."

ya_were_guards

The idea of cosplay chess is great!  With some rounding off its planning and a little imagination for the "overlord vantage point", it should work pretty smoothly and turn out to be as fun as it sounds.....live minions shuffling to their doom...errr...yeah.  Really an exciting idea imo.
"A mind without purpose will wander dark places."
-Ravenor

Ayanami Rei First Child

I think the Stage Zero would be an awesome place. I mean even if no one is around, it's a good place to practice just BEING on stage. Not to mention if people perform long enough they might get a crowd. Just have people go by ever 10-15min to do a quick check of the area, and I think you'd do just fine.

peer awards....I have to agree it'd easily turn into a popularity contest.

Cosplay chess....Delicious!! *_*

dealerJason

Stage Zero would not be an empty venue at anytime, nor would it rely on that much randomness.  I liken stage zero to a radio show.  There will be bits, there will be talking, there will be guests, there will be games shows.  This is all possible.  How much will you participate?

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: "dealerJason"Stage Zero would not be an empty venue at anytime, nor would it rely on that much randomness.  I liken stage zero to a radio show.  There will be bits, there will be talking, there will be guests, there will be games shows.  This is all possible.  How much will you participate?

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
I'm not positive if I would go in my crossplay outfit....I'm rather shy....but it could be fun to go there in normal or with my neko ears ^^;;

Captaine Kit

I recommend you take a look at a particularly long post under Ideas and Suggestions discussion.

BTW, Is this considered spam?  I've never really considered bb etiquette much in the past. . . .
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

Spiritsnare

I have an idea: Transmit certain parts of Stage Zero over the intercom as one would do with a radio show. :D

So even if we're not there, we're still there.
epic progressive

vox

Captaine Kit

Quote from: "Croquet"I love the cosplay chess idea, to death. As for the fashion show, it sounds cool, but I dont know anyone who makes their own costumes up. Maybe the fashion show could make it a more popular thing to do, but I'm not sure about this.... And also about the cosplay chess....what is speed chess?

Really appreciate this.  Some people might be questioning the purpose and the popularity of a resident fashion show at the convention.  I'd like to link you to here: http://www.fanime.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3829

Nina Star 9

the stage zero idea seems kind of chaotic. also, woudl there be a schedule posted so you know what is going on ahead of time? or is it just "show and and whatever is on is on"? i do like the idea of being able to go somewhere instresting in between events or if i get bored of everythign else, but i do not like the idea of sitting back and watching the con go by. so unless there was some sort of schedule and a way to know what will go on, then i say that is a bad idea.

like, what if someone's *favorite* j-rocker is up there doing an interview or a practice performance, and they did not know, and only found out about how awsome it was afterwards? i know i woudl be upset. but that is just my opinion, i guess.

you shodul make it very highly organized if you do it at all.

Captaine Kit

-chuckling-
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

We shall have a forum topic called 'What is Stage Zero?'  I thought we already had that, but I guess now's the time to make it happen.  

From that post, you can click on links to events that will be on Stage Zero.  I hope as much as you do that the event will be well organized.  As Jason said, it will be like a radio show with scheduled lineups and broadcasting on the convention center tv monitors that you walk b'neath.

Nina Star 9

woudl it be in a huge autitorium, a large room, what? i was thinking somethign alsong the lines of all-room sized. anything larger would be kinda awkward and anything smaller might be too crowded. i think it would be cool to have it a little more intimate so you feel liek you are right there in the middle of the action. :)

Captaine Kit

I love how you're the most involved person in terms of Fanime events, period.  I think we should reserve this Cosplay Ideas topic for cosplay posts, and I invite you to ask Stage Zero questions in the corresponding topic.  Thanks, luv ya.  I wish I could give you karma on Fanime bb like one can on other sites. :wink:

BunofGovt

bump

Quote from: "Default"For the drive by cosplay thing, a few friends and i were thinking about doing an iron chef thing

I went to Anime Destiny today and they held an Iron Cosplay event where 6 teams of 2 (M/F) each got a box (same items in each box I believe) of items to craft an outfit/cosplay with, and 45 minutes to craft.

The rules were basically, you didn't have to use all the items in the box BUT you did have to incorporate the secret item: in this instance a bottle of Otaku Sweat.  Oh, and in this instance, the teams had to create a mascot for Anime Destiny.

The cosplay was actually Crossplay, meaning the one who got outfitted had to be outfitted in the opposite gender.

It was a lot of fun seeing how the different teams utilized the same materials to come up with an outfit.  I'd like to see something like this attempted at Fanime.  The event had a pretty good audience, and the only bad thing was that, while the teams were crafting, the audience just sat around and chatted or hung out.  I don't know if there could be someone going around with a running commentary like on Iron Chef, or even a short lecture on cosplay or something while the audience is waiting. ??  Just a suggestion, really.  And not sure if this is the right place to put this.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Captaine Kit

Hella cool!  I would like to see something like this at Fanime also.  Live commentary makes an excellent attention grabber, and the judges for that event should have interesting things to say while everyone is watching the contestants.

So far in the costume lineups on Stage Zero, we have the fashion show and the Cosplay Catwalk (drive-by cosplay).  If we could get a team of judges for the Catwalk, then I'm sure they'll be more than willing to participate as judges in a FanimeCon Iron Cosplay.  

Thus, I depart with a request for judges.  If you or anyone you know would like to judge the Catwalk, I'm all ears.

BunofGovt

another bump

This is not a suggestion but a question because I am new to Fanime.

Has there ever been a theme for Der Cosplay?  I mean, the entrants must follow a certain idea for their performance or include a certain line (this is somehow related to the Iron Chef idea posted above).  Maybe not for Der Cosplay but for a smaller event, challenge the entrants to follow a specific idea, like, oh, it's a tea party (oh, wait, this sounds like something from Whose Line is it Anyway?).  Okay so you've got Naruto groups doing a tea party, Hellsing groups, One Piece groups, etc., just to see how they would interpret a tea party, keeping in mind their characters and the general feel of their anime.

I guess this ended up as a suggestion after all, sorry.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

DayDreamerNessa

yes please do iron cosplay! me and my bf did it at anime destiny and it was a blast! (i remember saying this somewhere else but i cant remember where)

i think if you were to do iron cosplay, you should run it throughout the four days of the con, maybe one iron cosplay event a day? that way say if someone wants to participate there'll be 4 days to try and participate, plus it gives people something to do on monday when the con is slow =P
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Leishu

Heh. Well I've been right up there with Kris, spearheading offering to do whatever it takes to make Cosplay Chess work in its respective thread...

I think I've IMed you once or twice too, Jason. :3

Yeah, though. I guess I'm in the minority but I like all of the ideas. Properly executed (and I've already outlined an affective Chess execution plan, just in case :3), they can all be great and wonderful additions to Fanime. :D
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

UsakoMinako

Stage Zero does not sound complicated as long as there are specific time slots. It sounds like an idea for oppertinity!
This may be the appropriate place for the drive by cosplay- combining the 2

Cosplay Chess- It would make a unique event and I am sure people are willing to try it out- Time limits might be good! A chess game can go on for YEARS!

Fashion show- Just the opposite- I know nothing but people who make their original costumes. cosplayers have been sadly left out of some fun, and deserve to be reconized for their efforst from beginer to advanced! Awards I would suggest to include are: Sponsored free gift goody bags for all ( just like the cherry blossom, festival parade) and big winnder get a certifcate.
OR as some say a scholarship in fashion design or some other is a good idea as well. I am sure cosplay lab would be willing to help- just ask
I also know a few professional seamstress cosplayers who are qualified to lend a fair judgment from any level ^_^

Who is the current director of masq as on now?

Captaine Kit

1) Draft every detail for what the event can look like.
2) Decide on the variations that your event can take.  Draft one document for each variation of the show.
3) Submit it to Jason.  Volunteer to represent that show or suggest that someone else runs this show.

It's cool to have all these 'what ifs' available to look at, but unless somebody takes the initiative to draft a proposal, none of the events here is likely to happen.  I guarantee that even if you don't intend to run it, a complete outline is enough for someone to elaborate on if they were to take charge of it.  The preferred language for any proposal document is "X will look like . . . " as opposed to "If this, then that.  If Fanime could this, I might that. . . ."  What you require is much more supported than what you request, if you've followed the lead this far.

UsakoMinako

Absolutly- for anything to become a reality, it certainly needs to be taken seriously enough to form an outline and proposal. Presented formally and professionally ^_^
Also keeps things from not flying off the handle while conducting any event ^_^ I'm sure experienced people understand that ^_^