FanimeCon: Participate, Join, Create > Ideas and Suggestions

Con Suite

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ayanami Rei First Child:

--- Quote from: "Spiritsnare" ---
--- Quote from: "Hazel Chaz" ---You've got several thousand fans who aren't used to the etiquette of the con suite -- which is, the free food is there for you to have a snack, not for you to fill up your backpack for later and/or for your private party -- so there's a staffing need just to gently educate them.
--- End quote ---

In all reality -- yeah, like they'll listen. Even I'd bring a Zip-Loc bag to stuff some munchies into.

Wherever and whenever there's free food, people are bound to take advantage of it.
--- End quote ---

True, which is why the food should be BEHIND the staff members, that way people have NO CHOICE!! :twisted: They will be FORCED to only snack on it.....Although even then it could get a little crazy with remembering all those faces, ESPECIALLY with certain cosplay outfits and people getting out of them....<.<;;

Hazel Chaz:

--- Quote from: "Spiritsnare" ---In all reality -- yeah, like they'll listen. Even I'd bring a Zip-Loc bag to stuff some munchies into.

Wherever and whenever there's free food, people are bound to take advantage of it.
--- End quote ---

I'm not so pessimistic. (I've seen con suites work well before at 6000-person conventions, as well as smaller conventions like Anime Los Angeles.) After they get over their initial shock of "OMG, it's all free", they also clue into the fact that it'll still be there if they come back later. There is a learning curve involved; posted rules, some gentle (or not so gentle!) corrections, and bouncing people out if we have to because they're too greedy, should do the trick.

The other aspect I forgot to mention earlier is policing the room; refilling the empty bowls, sweeping up the crumbs, and so forth. And if there seems to be a wave of people abusing the system, well, we don't refill the bowl until they leave the room...

Anyhow, that's why I say it's staff-intensive; we not only need enough people to keep an eye on the snacks, we also need to keep an eye on the fans, with a couple of people who are just there to explain things (again and again, they'll get tired of the speech...). I'd want between a dozen and a hundred staffers on duty -- I'm still trying to figure out a more precise number, because that's a somewhat vague range -- but I believe it could be done at Fanime.

--- Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child" ---True, which is why the food should be BEHIND the staff members, that way people have NO CHOICE!!  They will be FORCED to only snack on it.....Although even then it could get a little crazy with remembering all those faces, ESPECIALLY with certain cosplay outfits and people getting out of them....<.<;;
--- End quote ---

I'm not concerned with people leaving the room and coming back later; that's not against the rules, even if they don't change their costume. It's the grabbing of bowlfuls and backpackfuls of snacks that they're taking away to share with half a dozen friends that we're trying to prevent.

The-O:
I can honestly tell you ( I don't know about the other departments), but this year in Rovers (based on my experience) we basically got no food. The only day we did get food was the night of the concert where our generous Co-Department Head graciously bestowed upon us, pizza! Really, if the staff was under-fed, I don't know about having a budget for snacks for attendees.
Last year, staff had breakfast, and was provided with some type of dinner.
(Please, we need FOOD to survive not just water :p)

Ayanami Rei First Child:

--- Quote from: "The-O" ---I can honestly tell you ( I don't know about the other departments), but this year in Rovers (based on my experience) we basically got no food. The only day we did get food was the night of the concert where our generous Co-Department Head graciously bestowed upon us, pizza! Really, if the staff was under-fed, I don't know about having a budget for snacks for attendees.
--- End quote ---

I fully support this decision. Besides....if the Staff gets underfed then it makes it where they get bitchy. When Staff gets bitchy, people loose faith in the wonders of Fanime. Although I'm still a loyal fan of Fanime...just not interested in working as Staff ^^;;

Hazel Chaz:

--- Quote from: "The-O" --- Really, if the staff was under-fed, I don't know about having a budget for snacks for attendees.
--- End quote ---

Well, I did lead off with "budget" as one of the principle factors in making it happen. I heard about the breakfast thing when I was talking to Craige last year; I didn't make it to Fanime this year (I was in Kansas City) so this is the first I've heard about how things went.

Chaz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version