Street Style [EGL, Decora...] Fashion Show?

Started by Babbit_Chan, November 04, 2005, 06:02:05 PM

Babbit_Chan

A few people suggested a gothic & lolita related event different from the ordinary meeting/social gathering. Sorry, I really didn't have any other ideas aside from a large scale tea party xD If there's a good response to this, though, I'm sure it could be doable if we worked out all the details, especially if we did it well in advance :]

The show might be organized by style (i.e. EGL, Decora, Ganguro, Kogal)into three categories (in no particular order):
-Original designs/ensembles
-Designer reproductions (if copied from a collection)
-Jrock cosplay

If desired we can have judging but I'm leaning more towards complimentary gifts for everyone for participating rather than handing out craftsmanship awards.

There are some obvious elements that this would require, of course:
-runway
-lighting
-accompanying music
-pseudo-backstage area
-staging and decorations (with a common theme)
-MC

... and the usual rehearsals and preparations beforehand which might require regular in-person meetings before the con (you wouldn't need your outfit finished, there are some things that would just need to be discussed and decided on and having everyone's input would be helpful).

If this all is a little vague, ask questions! Leave comments! Any additional ideas that could be incorporated would be great :)

Nina Star 9

thsi sounds like a cross between the cosplay catwlk and the fashion show ideas for stage zero that are already in the works.

ced1106

Random suggestion:

GothBlock:
* Fashion show
* Costume-making panel
* Gathering and dinner meet

Hold these events in one afternoon, as one will feed the next. Provide time between events for overtime. I'm part of the Fanime Tabletop Staff and can run a game of Chez Goth during the Gathering.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

hakudoushi

soo...it would be like a con-within-a-con?
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Captaine Kit

Fashion show:  Yes, Gothic Lolita designers are welcome to showcase their line of clothing, something between 5-15 outfits.  You can use the models who are signing up for Fashion Show or supply your own models.

Cosplay Catwalk:  Yes, Gothic Lolita-wearing individuals may walk the walk.  Yes, we should have a Gothic/Gothic Lolita block in the Catwalk!  If you wish to be involved in Catwalk logistics, I have the staff position open for fulfillment.

Since these two events are what's slated so far as the 'walk' events, it'd be nice to make each of them big so that they get enough attention to run in 2007.

In terms of panels, yes!  I think Ebner-man is a little busy organizing other aspects of Live Programming, but ideas have been slated fo thee ol cosplay repair room and how-to panels seen at other conventions to date.  Many staff positions are open to organize/run these panels.  They all seem like wonderful ideas now, and there's definitely room to converge or diverge the basic ideas before the next staff meeting.  The staff employment application should start on the Fanime website by next month.  However, sooner is always better, so talk to me, people!
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

dealerJason

Babbit-Chan
Wow, how much of what you planned can you pull off?  How much block can you do?

Working with Teri-Chan on this is important since she is my right hand woman on this stuff.

Please get your ideas on paper, make them as solid as possible and drop Teri and I a line.  I want to know more about it!

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
The *New* Programming Director
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Im curious, is there a gothic lolita style for guys and if so what does it look like
Henry Ong
Marketing Staff
ex-3 minute film head
100%Bishounen meat
FOLLOW THE PATH OF THE SEXY COMMANDO!!!

hakudoushi

Quote from: "Default"Im curious, is there a gothic lolita style for guys and if so what does it look like
it looks like j-rock...
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Captaine Kit

un autre article réalisé

Part the first
I'd check out the Japanese magazines FUDGE (September issue) for women's and POPEYE (Aug issue) for men's fashion references, available at a Kinokuniya near you.  I think they're both under the same publisher and street crew (because they have the same ads and fashion in their pages?).  

Gothic Lolita style implies, to me, the look of a Charles Dickensian (sp?), Lewis Carrollian (sp?) mode of dress--bent very Victorian, sometimes bent for adult women to don a more childish façade and usually with a sexual interpretation and intent.  In J-rock context, the male performers will go femme and again reinterpret the dark, sexy, youthful appearance of a Loli-Goth.  Consider the following definitions:

A Lolita is a 'sexually attractive or precocious young girl' (more in Wiki article Lolita)
Gothic Lolita 'emphasizes Victorian-style girl's clothing and often aims to imitate the look of Victorian porcelain dolls.' (more in Wiki article Gothic Lolita)

Part the second
In my opinion, men should go with a fashion that resonates with this fascination of a European epoch, kind of franco-italian in style.  Of course one can go the j-rock way and look femme, hit either the white lace or the black vinyl, and hike up those petticoates to get the desired Lolita look.  Or, one can go with a genderless style.  Consider the following reasons:

Revisiting Fudge and Popeye, I've noticed a great emphasis on unisex, or a blurring of the boundaries between men's and women's clothing.  Although these particular prints don't cover Gothic Lolita specifically, they do indicate a nostalgic usage of leathers, pearl buttons and jewelry, and lace, of course!  
We're seeing browns and blacks, pinstripe faded blues pairedwith brilliant dark aquas.  It's similar to the relatively local vintage-mod Frisco style that is even appearing in the Nordstrom's catalogs this season.  The back of these magazines feature housewares and locations to visit cafés préférés.  Go genderless and nostalgic if you have the heart for trying new styles, whether you're into the various Gothic scenes or not.

wow, thats a lot, I think ill stick with what i normally do for now
Henry Ong
Marketing Staff
ex-3 minute film head
100%Bishounen meat

chest4091

Quote from: "Babbit_Chan"Sorry, I really didn't have any other ideas aside from a large scale tea party xD If there's a good response to this, though, I'm sure it could be doable if we worked out all the details, especially if we did it well in advance :].

What else can i do with it?

Nina Star 9

captaine kit> sorry, but as someone that dresses loli and has done lots of research about it, it actually does not have a sexual meaning to it, as is thought by many people because of the word "lolita". i believe the word was chosen because it implies a beautiful young, innocent girl, not because of the sexual reasons. lolis actually often look down on the people that wear loli to be sexy. (also, the j-rock looks with PVC and the like are not truely loli, though they do have some of the same elements.)

but other than that, good idea! :D

Captaine Kit

Ah, my bad.

But then, when can you tell that someone is doing it to be sexy versus to be cute?

The kinds of people who like to look at are as numerous as fingerprints as well.  Perhaps I had the notion of sexual undertones because . . . even cosplay photographers think cute and innocent is something erotic.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "Captaine Kit"Ah, my bad.

But then, when can you tell that someone is doing it to be sexy versus to be cute?

The kinds of people who like to look at are as numerous as fingerprints as well.  Perhaps I had the notion of sexual undertones because . . . even cosplay photographers think cute and innocent is something erotic.
you can tell most fo the time. shorter skirts, erotic poses, shorter sleeves, and often more costumey looking outfits.

but its okay. ^-^

DayDreamerNessa

if your talking about japanese gothic lolita there is no sexual intention, though western gothic fashion does have a sexual side.

what i hate most is when i see girls claiming there being gothic lolita or lolita, yet there wearing low cut designed tops showing off there boobs, or wearing really short skirts/dresses, it's very rare that i come across anything like that in gothic lolita if ever.

this is lolita
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/daydreamernessa/loli.jpg

these are not..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/daydreamernessa/notloli.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/daydreamernessa/nololi.jpg
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

o wow, thanks, you were a great help on that part, o btw that kinda sounded sarcastic but it wasn't
Henry Ong
Marketing Staff
ex-3 minute film head
100%Bishounen meat

Captaine Kit

Glad to know there are examples out there.  

On another note:  doesn't every movement come with a name in someone's mind?  Doesn't the definition change under the same name when there are new people on the scene?  While it doesn't stay true to its beginnings, I'll point out that this phenomenon is natural, neither good nor bad.  

When I look at some styles identified as 'from Japan', I totally see an element of 60s fetish glamour (like Junko Mizuno's illustrations) mashed in sometimes with wartime wools, lace and dark muted colors and mashed sometimes with flashy black, pink and white vinyls.  What ever happened to 'goth' being 'home-salvaged industrial parts'?  Well it still looks like that, but it's way more expensive and way more marketable in the malls now. . . .

Who knows?  What it's about can change with its field of penetration whether you think someone is 'posing' or not, whether you've made a hard effort to slow that change or not.  Just a blurb on subcultures and trends.

MeliCat

Wow! I totally missed this topic until now! : D I'd love to model some outfits, this sounds like a fun idea!

Captaine Kit

Models for the Fashion Show: Please email me and you will receive an application to fill out.  You must tell me what your schedule is like December thru the end of January.

Models for Catwalk: stay tuned!  Check out Catwalk topic discussions on this bb.  As in other Live Programming, this show is still in teh works.

Charming_Dorian

Quote from: "DayDreamerNessa"
what i hate most is when i see girls claiming there being gothic lolita or lolita, yet there wearing low cut designed tops showing off there boobs, or wearing really short skirts/dresses, it's very rare that i come across anything like that in gothic lolita if ever.

There is however ero-loli
http://www.livejournal.com/community/egl/3698352.html#cutid1
but the girls in the pics that nessa posted just look cheesey X_X  Its sad because there is so much crap like that floating around, they totally just miss the mark
Another good example of ero-loli is hilda form Shadow Hearts: From the New World.