Gothic Lolita

Started by Ari, November 05, 2005, 11:01:57 AM

felicity869

Quote from: "Elysium"I've not been to the tea party. What's that like? Anyone have any photos of the party so I know what to expect?

One should expect tea, an outrageous amount of sweets, lots of good conversations and tons of photos.
Here's my pictures from last year's tea party:
http://j9photos.livejournal.com/18432.html

Quote from: "Elysium"
I mean, how many guys have you seen go gothic loli? I've not seen too many either here in Seattle or at San Jose cons.
Actually, it's not as rare as you think. You probably don't even notice the REALLY good crossplayers because you just asume they are the gender they're dressing up as. As you can see from my pictures of last year's gathering, there were at least a few guys there. There always have been a few guys at every gothic lolita tea party/gathering I've hosted (although they're usually dressed more dandy/gothic aristicat/not actually crossdressing). The more the merrier. :)

Elysium

Quote from: "felicity869"
Quote from: "Elysium"
I mean, how many guys have you seen go gothic loli? I've not seen too many either here in Seattle or at San Jose cons.
You probably don't even notice the REALLY good crossplayers because you just asume they are the gender they're dressing up as.

I actually remember that guy on the far left of the first photo. I was there with him at the Hot Yaoi thing last year and a bunch of other yaoi guys.

The tea party thing looks good. I'll be there on Sunday since we're just taking photos on Saturday.

Ari

Yay, I get some feedback. Lolz ^-^v Awesome. Hopefully i'll be there.

Captaine Kit

I'm tired of black and white Goth-Loli.  It's not very tasteful use of black and white, either.  No eye for proportion.  No eye for taking advantage of textures.  I see the theming on really good cosplayers.  Much of it is not stylistic at all.  Also, it's a little undermining of the 'progressiveness' of nurturing a subculture.  Check out FUDGE for what's new in that scene.  I've seen people in EGL scene refer to Western clothing of the Industrial Revolution era, for peacoats and felts and other cuts and textures.

Actually, there are lots of sources for Goth-Loli inspiration.  Just yesterday I was at Santana Row for a fashion show featuring designs from all the boutiques in the shopping center.  The MC was actually wearing this simple, no frills dress with a boat neck for the front, and v opening in the back.  Crushed fabric, cool grey, with a big bow in the back.  Simple, classic, and completely translatable to the Elegant GL style.  It really just depends on the scene where the clothing will appear that determines what people say about it.

So really, I urge the creatives out there to make more than a statement--make an impressive one.
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

serajwl

My sister and I might be going too *nod nod*

we'll bring snacks! :D

Elysium

Quote from: "Captaine Kit"I'm tired of black and white Goth-Loli.  It's not very tasteful use of black and white, either.  No eye for proportion.  No eye for taking advantage of textures.  I see the theming on really good cosplayers.  Much of it is not stylistic at all.  Also, it's a little undermining of the 'progressiveness' of nurturing a subculture.  Check out FUDGE for what's new in that scene.  I've seen people in EGL scene refer to Western clothing of the Industrial Revolution era, for peacoats and felts and other cuts and textures.

Actually, there are lots of sources for Goth-Loli inspiration.  Just yesterday I was at Santana Row for a fashion show featuring designs from all the boutiques in the shopping center.  The MC was actually wearing this simple, no frills dress with a boat neck for the front, and v opening in the back.  Crushed fabric, cool grey, with a big bow in the back.  Simple, classic, and completely translatable to the Elegant GL style.  It really just depends on the scene where the clothing will appear that determines what people say about it.

So really, I urge the creatives out there to make more than a statement--make an impressive one.

I hope this is a general statement! As black and white seem to be the standard colors for goth. I'm not into the goth thing but that's my observation. As a side note, there will be no black and white in my costume. Well, the bows are black and the lace is white, but the main color, what the dress is made out of, is RED!

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "Captaine Kit"I'm tired of black and white Goth-Loli.  It's not very tasteful use of black and white, either.  No eye for proportion.  No eye for taking advantage of textures.  I see the theming on really good cosplayers.  Much of it is not stylistic at all.  Also, it's a little undermining of the 'progressiveness' of nurturing a subculture.  Check out FUDGE for what's new in that scene.  I've seen people in EGL scene refer to Western clothing of the Industrial Revolution era, for peacoats and felts and other cuts and textures.

i am also getting sick of all those plain black-and-white dresses that look like the lace section of a fabric stroe exploded on them. wha ti want to see this year is more gothic shirorori. most people think of it as a sweet lolita thing, but no~~ it can be gothic if you just try. *sighs* i need to make more lolita clothes, seeing as everything i own is either antique white or black. i need more purple~

AbsolutelyCursed

I believe colors are in. Variety is the spice of life.

Elysium

Ack! Just a little black and white is ok...right?

Although I'm a noob at the gothic thing (it's just for fun, right?) I don't want to go and get talked down because I wore a little bit of 'traditional colors' I guess. (would they even be considered tradition?)

Nina Star 9

no, no one will "talk you down". in fact, if you do it well, you will have lots of people liking you. ^-^ tradition is not bad, it is just good to venture away from that~

MeliCat

Hmm... I'm hosting the Guilty Gear gathering on Saturday afternoon, but I can make the sunday gathering. I'll be sure to bring snacks~

I'll probably wear one of my black/white lolita outfits, I'm in love with the colors and it looks so classic. : ) I guess people think it's overdone now? Oh well, I promise my outfit won't disappoint, even if the colors are boring. : D

Should I bring my vioin to play for all the elegant people I'll be gathering with?

AbsolutelyCursed

Quote from: "MeliCat"Hmm... I'm hosting the Guilty Gear gathering on Saturday afternoon, but I can make the sunday gathering. I'll be sure to bring snacks~

I'll probably wear one of my black/white lolita outfits, I'm in love with the colors and it looks so classic. : ) I guess people think it's overdone now? Oh well, I promise my outfit won't disappoint, even if the colors are boring. : D

Should I bring my vioin to play for all the elegant people I'll be gathering with?

Disappoint? I don't think that's possible!

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "MeliCat"Hmm... I'm hosting the Guilty Gear gathering on Saturday afternoon, but I can make the sunday gathering. I'll be sure to bring snacks~

ooh~~ violin~~ :D i was planning on bringing a boombox and a CD with some nice tea party music~ okay, more like, bodaiju type stuff, but i will do what i can. xD

and no, no one will be dissapointed. :3 especially if the outfit looks good~ if it is, as i said before, just like the lace section of a fabric store exploded on you, then that is not so good. but i am sure it will look great! plus, black and white looks good together, even if it is a little overdone. :3

Kazuko

^w^ oooh meli yes bring the violin <3 a loli gathering isnt perfect without some classical music! <3

O: I have only a black x white loli set too but thats okay ^^ im working on getting some addons like cute bows

Elysium

WOOT! I got backup!

ip136

Fwou~ I might not be able to dress up, only psuedo dress-up.. but may I possibly stalk to take pictures of everyone?
Clicky my Art Pwease?

Captaine Kit

Captaine Kit

I think that's how I got the idea to break away from the idea of 'dress-up' as costume and I started to show it as philosophy.  4 years ago, I think, was when I just went to Fanime in my own clothes, self-designed and all that.  There was a time when Fanime constituents blended in with the rest of society, and you either went to the con in cargoes and anime print tee, or a costume.  I remember putting on a skin that I was comfortable with personally, and lots of peopel took snapshots and asked what my cosplay was.  At anime cons these days, we see some mall constriction of what the 'goth' or 'punk' image wants to be sold.

It takes someone really comfortable with themself to call their outfit an expression of oneself 24/7, nonstop.  It's hair, and your shoes, and your personal belongings such as backpack, glasses frame, wallet, keychain, etc.  We live in a society that uses the code of attire to communicate our social relationships.  Though it's not a judgement call on anyone outside of this personal paradigm, this mentality is most welcome at le Salon because it invites and elevates style consciousness in the rest of the anime community.

Just think: what were fans wearing in the past?  See the previous paragraph.  What have they been wearing recently? 'Cough Dropic'  *hack, ew, gruaarrh, ick*  What are you going to wear to this con?  Make it count!

Midnight Ryoko

is the lolita gathering going to be joint with the Jrockers again this year...? Because last year I was the only jrocker. ^^; (I was seek, the one painted entirely blue, if you remember me. XD ) So...um, yes, if someone would tell me. XD thanks.
"If all the world was painted dark, and all the skies turned grey, then please tell me [if you could] when would it be day?"

Rowan

I'm still a rookie lolita (i've been trying for a year ><;;), so i hope to meet you guys! ^^

would you like me to bring some homemade manju or something? ^^;;

@Midnight Ryoko: i wouldn't mind jrock people coming. i like jrock ^^