Gothic Lolita

Started by Ari, November 05, 2005, 11:01:57 AM

Captaine Kit

Quote from: "Elysium"Oh yeah, makeup! I'm not very good at makeup (since I'm a guy) and gothic makeup to boot. Would it be ok to hire a helping hand? I'd be willing to pay like, 25 bucks per application for me and my buddy. Or pay for a meal at one of the hotel restaurants for you and a friend. This makeup thing is one thing I totally forgot. I had my Aunt come over for a makeup session on Tuesday to get an idea of what I would look like with makeup, but I totally zoned out that I would have to apply it!
I'm looking for somone that could help with gothic style makeup.

So, anyone interested in helping out two guys?

Don't be foolish with your money!  Even someone who's good at this stuff offhand shouldn't charge anything.  You can get a free consultation at any place in the mall.

Consultation means they walk you around the store and ask you what your look is supposed to be, and you choose the products in their store, and they put it on you right there.  They teach you how to do your own face!  Many people go to do this on the day of their Formal or Prom because it's free and they learn from it.  Then, it's your prerogative to buy the product because you can use it at home with the knowledge you have gained.

On the other hand, at-con application is nice too.  You can zip right to your event, and chances are, there are a bunch of cosplayers with the right tools on their person.  You can make a new friend, and you can definitely dine together to make one fair favor for another.  Do not pay any money to get a thin layer of pigments on your face!
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

Charming_Dorian

Quote from: "gmontem"
Quote from: "Charming_Dorian"I'll be going if I am not scheduled to be staffing then... I will be wearing black and white because contrary to what everyone else  I despise color :P (With the exception of one red dress with black lace).  Also I doubt I could get the black dress I've been eyeing for a while now.
gloom gloom gloom :3

You should get ChenCzen to do EGL, too, hehe.
He thinks he would look goofy in the stuff, he kinda offered to though.
oh well.

Midnight Ryoko

I must say, as far as makeup goes, for eyeliner, nothing beats Prestige. Honestly, I've tried so many other brands and have the point break a second later. >>;; For lipstick, I love Manic Panic; it rarely rubs off like others do. Eyeshadow... I agree with MAC, but I also love Urban Decay, Too Faced, and Hard Candy.

Places to get makeup: The best bet would be an Ulta, if you have one nearby. They carry every kind of beauty product known to man, minus the pretenciousness lots of stores seem to have today. ^^;; (minus rite-aid. XD) Anyway, good luck lovies. <3
"If all the world was painted dark, and all the skies turned grey, then please tell me [if you could] when would it be day?"

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well I already have people who are willing to apply my makeup....I just need the producsts themselves ^^;;

Nina Star 9

thought i shoudl ask here- what shoudl one do about gothic lolita make-up? most make-up i have seen tends to be for either striaght gothic, which is not good for loli, or pure sweet lolita, which is not good for a darker lolita look. :/ i have asked a lot of people, and they oftentime just point me int eh direction of typical (minimal) sweet lolita make-up, but i want somethign a little bolder and darker. :/ any suggestions?

Ayanami Rei First Child

It's gunna be my first time doing this....but just do the whole gothic thing, and then work from there. See what you need and then maybeh find ways of getting lighter shades or something ^^;

Captaine Kit

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"thought i shoudl ask here- what shoudl one do about gothic lolita make-up? . . .
i have asked a lot of people, and they oftentime just point me int eh direction of typical (minimal) sweet lolita make-up, but i want somethign a little bolder and darker. :/ any suggestions?

It looks like you are to pave the grounds for the application of this look!  The scene is so young, I'm sure there are more people with the same question than there are people with the answer to it.  The best thing to do is to use theatrical photo reference and images associated with literature.

I imagine there's a level of romance or the blush of innocence you want to convey too, so take a look at classical French paintings.  I doubt that the painters really used the colors that came with their subjects' actual face--hence, we 'put on our face'.

Just try a bunch of references.
Ok, and for the colored peoples out there, you don't have to go WHITE pale to go gothic in any sense.  First, try contrasts in your clothing, then your hair and eyeliner.  Black is so blatant, so if your filosophy doesn't shrink away, use glimmery crimsons, emeralds and ocean blues.  Exploooooore.
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

Nina Star 9

i think i will try more bold things with my lolita fashion and make-up from now on. <3

my mom checked out this fashion book from the library where she works, and it is great. i see so many things that can easily inspire a lolita outfit or three, and most are actually from the 1920s, which i find great. i love 1920s fashion. <3 of course, the typical 1860s is great too~ <3

Midnight Ryoko

fun thought: Why don't you decide what your version of loli looks like instead of worrying about what you think it needs to look like? be creative! That's what I do. XP But I'm an EGL/EGA, not a ichigo, kuro, sweet, or angel, so lots of stuff involves black, white, gunmetal, and sometimes silver. *nod* ^^
"If all the world was painted dark, and all the skies turned grey, then please tell me [if you could] when would it be day?"

Elysium

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Well I already have people who are willing to apply my makeup....I just need the producsts themselves ^^;;

Hook a white brotha up! I got stuff! Hell, I'll BUY stuff. I'll even share with you! Quite literally, money kinda of DOES grow on trees. Be a pal? Me any my buddy are also crossplaying as gothic loli.

Midnight Ryoko

ok, so before it gets too hectic, some say when the day/time/location of this gathering is. <<;

Ayanami Rei First Child

I dunno you'd have to ask them yourselves. One of them is the infamous Queen of Hats whom I work for. Another are some people I met on the Fanime Board on Gaia. Just go there...seriously. I mean it would be too pretentious for me to just demand friends do your makeup when they don't even know ya. Just chill there and I'll see what I can do.

Midnight Ryoko

so this gathering is sunday at 12:30..?

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: "Midnight Ryoko"so this gathering is sunday at 12:30..?
Um....you know what I really do not know. Sunday IS better for me though. I can get more time off on sunday, then Saturday ^^;

felicity869

There are two gothic lolita gatherings during Fanime...

Sunday at 1:30 PM. Hosted by me. Meet at the fountains in front of the convention center. Spend 10 minutes taking picture there and waiting for late commers. Then we'll head off to the park (only a few minutes away) for more pictures.

Saturday  at 12:30 PM. Hosted by Applesugar and a whole lotta other people. Pictures, raffle and teaparty. Meet up at artist alley tables 35-38. Location of actual teaparty will be given to you then. You should rsvp at [email protected]

Edited to show the now correct days.

Nina Star 9

w00tage~ i can make it to both~ :D

however, i will be tattoo-lees for the saurday one, seeing as i will be wearing my masquerade costume just for the party and then changing back into my "chou" cosplay~ ah well. :D

it will not be bad just to wear my costume for an hour or two on saturday for the party, change out of it, and then wear it all day sunday, will it? o-o;

gmontem

woo thanks for the update. I'll try to make one of them.  Must take pics of NS9 for Minagi-chan.  ~_^
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

Kazuko

i could probally make it for a second on saturday XD

but sunday i am there for sure :3

Nina Star 9

meh, nope. cant make it sunday probably, unless the location is given to me beforehand. ._.

Kazuko

well i got email from apple sugar that they changed the tea party to saturday because there arent many signed up for sunday. x: so saturday it is then