Neo-Swing Boogie-Woogie Dance Hall Takeover!

Started by Long, November 08, 2005, 07:07:58 PM

Tony

I've got Stage One until 8pm every day, and it's not completely full, so there's an option. Maybe Sunday, but the masq starts around 6 or 7, so it would have to be an early dance. Thursday might be better, unless the MF bands decide they want to put on a special event.

Saturday is MF, and Kamijo will be playing just before the concert. And AMVs are right before that. Friday evening is booked up, but maybe in the afternoon. Monday, not much time - and it's looking like a Locals day.

Feel free to shoot me an email: [email protected].
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

DayDreamerNessa

From what you've listed if friday afternoon is available I'd totally go.

If it was on masquerade day I probably wouldn't be able too, and I think we shouldn't consider saturday, because it's full too.

Monday everyone is concerned with leaving the hotel, and relaxing.

Those are my thoughts ~
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Nina Star 9

friday does seem like the best day. sadly, unless it was like, late at night. XD early sunday sounds okay to me, but, then again~ it is the masquerade, and i will need to spend at least two hours getting dressed and ready for that, and many people will probably take as long or longer, so~

EDIT: random thought... not a good random thought, but certainly random. what is in the room where the masquerade is taking place? would it be possible to have it maybe before the masquerade in the same room, just as like a mini side-event? or maybe right afterwards? that way, people will be in there already.... as i said, it is not very good and probably will not work, but just something to throw out there. :/

DayDreamerNessa

The masquerade Is in the building across from fanime called the civic auditorium if I remember correctly. It's not a room that's for sure.

That's probably really full as well since that's where musicfest and the amv's as far as I know happens in. And it's an auditorium, I don't know if that would be possible to have this dance event set up there.

Having it on sunday in the auditorium wouldn't work, the masquerade entries practice in the morning with there run-through's, and then the masquerade people need to prepare for the actual masquerade(lighting/sound/music etc)

The masquerade ended at like 10 last year from what I remember and I can't speak for anyone else, but i was so tired after the masquerade on sunday, there's no way I'd be able to dance if it happened afterwards.

Nina Star 9

is there any way to, say, take the regualr dance, and set asdie a time and a date and just have it in there? i mean, there is already all the equipment and everything. :/ also, that way, another space is not needed, and since it is only a small portion of the dance, the people that like to do the regular dance will be happy, too~

Tony

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"is there any way to, say, take the regualr dance, and set asdie a time and a date and just have it in there? i mean, there is already all the equipment and everything. :/ also, that way, another space is not needed, and since it is only a small portion of the dance, the people that like to do the regular dance will be happy, too~
Stage One shares the same room as the dance; we switch off at 8pm. So, we could do something before then and it would fall under my umbrella, but after (at the official Dance), you'd have to ask the Dance guys if they'd want to set aside some time for the idea. [email protected] if you're interested, but, good luck!

It could actually work in the Civic Auditorium - there's plenty of sound equipment - except that it's booked most of the time. Late Friday night would be a possibility, but we'll probably still be doing setup, and it might cost extra. I'll check around.
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

Okach

The dance folks will probably not want to let go of some time since all of the DJs want their fair share of spinning.  Having said that, exercising some persuasion on the DJs wouldn't be a bad idea, say play a song once in a while.

Of course, the most fun way is to run it as a hallway event, but the organizers will frown on it - liability, traffic and all.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Long

Well I don't think we have any professional DJ's and I'm not sure I know of anyone to run the sound equipment. So here is what would have to happen:

We need a spot hopefully in the regular dance schedule so DJ's can run the music for us.
It must be at night, not conflicting with MusicFest or any Cosplay Contests, because we'd have no attendees. =]
It doesn't matter really if its late night or early night.
For me, any night is okay, as long as (I said before) it doesn't conflict with MusicFest.

If it's at all possible, I would greatly appreciate the help on getting this thing up. Thanks for taking interest Tony! I really appreciate it. =]

Tony

I'll keep it in mind as a possible pre-reg event for Thursday night on Stage One, but otherwise, you'd have to talk to the dance guys. [email protected]. Again, good luck.  :P
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

Punkre

Well i didnt get to pre reg this year, even though i did register in time i forgot to pay it in time. i will be thier on Thursday though if ya can make an exception ill surely be thier. Hope ya can manage a time and space for it.
Anime>Video Games>Real Life

Why do i fall in lov with every girl that pays the littlest bit of attention to me?

DayDreamerNessa

I wish plans for this event had been planned earlier, then there would've had a chance to have a decent time and location for this.

I know a lot of people who said they wished to have gone to the thursday night dance last year, but couldn't because of school the next day or they weren't arriving till friday/saturday.

Okach

Even that's no guarantee - couple of years back I wanted to do a West coast swing class/panel and had done the due diligence with the organizers way in advance.  Well, it pretty much ended up being a disaster since

a) programs that had it listed weren't printed up until late Saturday.  Online schedule had the right times, but not many people noticed it for one reason or the other.
b) the room wasn't available at the times specified
c) I was originally scheduled to have it during Masq (!), which wasn't my intention at all throughout.

I should point out that the staff was extremely helpful in salvaging the panel from the above and I still ended up with a small, but enthusiastic class.  However, this is a grand example of the best laid plans...
Staff Marketing Second

Long

Can we say "Unofficial Outdoor Event" anyone? ;D

All we'd need would be a good and big speakers, a boom box, and maybe a microphone. Plus we'd get a lot of attention, virtually unlimited space, and at night it would be oh so fun. <33

*Imagines a large group of people doing synchronized swing dancing to Boogie music under the stars and city lamps of San Jose with onlookers watching and randomly joining*

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "Long"Can we say "Unofficial Outdoor Event" anyone? ;D

All we'd need would be a good and big speakers, a boom box, and maybe a microphone. Plus we'd get a lot of attention, virtually unlimited space, and at night it would be oh so fun. <33

*Imagines a large group of people doing synchronized swing dancing to Boogie music under the stars and city lamps of San Jose with onlookers watching and randomly joining*
haha... on one of those balconies at the convention center would be great. xD of course, there might be some noise problem thingy, but who cares! XD

Okach

Heh, I wanted to do it in the lobby.  Plenty of room, decent floor, and relatively empty most of the time.  Got shot down by the staff because of noise/foot traffic.
Staff Marketing Second

Long

Yeah, it would be difficult to do it indoors with all the implications having to do with keeping the center organized. Last year they had an unofficial Gothic Lolita Tea Party at the park. Doing the dance outside the con center near the fountain may be possible, but if there is any problem with doing it on Hotel or CC property we can always do it in the park as its public, and they allow you to do stuff like that all the time, such as Yoga or TaiChi.. I dunno. =]

Yojimbosteel

I'll be there, in my stripes and buckle shoes.

What about the Big Bad Voodoo Daddies and The Cherrie Poppin Daddies
Anything from one of these two bands is good swing music.

SatchelMarr

I would totally be there.  I hung out at the West Coast class last year with my sis.

If it doesn't get together this year, I would volunteer to teach any of the following at some sort of theoretical Big Band Smash:

East Coast Swing
Salsa
Merengue
Waltz
Foxtrot
the Hustle
Night Club Two-Step (for ballady stuff)
Samba
Cha Cha
Rumba
Tango
Bolero
Lindy Hop (maybe a little, any way)
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy increased.

Long

Hmm. It seems we may have a sound system in store for us, the only problem is we still may not have it since if we did, it would have to be outdoors, and you need a permit for that. >__>

Shinigami

Quote from: "Long"Hmm. It seems we may have a sound system in store for us, the only problem is we still may not have it since if we did, it would have to be outdoors, and you need a permit for that. >__>

omg you should give people headphones with the music in it! That way we can dance, look weird to passerbys, and not get in trouble!