Swap meet

Started by platinum edge, November 28, 2005, 07:06:16 PM

platinum edge

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about the swap meet.  I haven't seen anything about it on the main fanime page.  I would like to know some general info about it; such as which days the swap meet run, when it is, how to get a space, ect...  If anyone had any info about this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Always chase after your dreams, and never forget why you are pursuing them.

Jelly Soup

Also, do we have any idea how it will be run? This years was a bit of a mess.

The-O

A bit of a mess? I had a crowd ready to riot...
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

Sunara Ishi

Normally it runs Thurs for pre-reg and Fri. after 6pm I think. It probably will be that timeframe again for its been that for the last few years.

Note that I'm not the expert nor do I have an in on any info. Just noting what I've observed in the past.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Yankumi

It was really disorganized last year, but I found some really rare stuff from my favorite older series for great prices.  This year I'd like to go as soon as it opens, there aren't many places where you can get ahold of older anime goods.

platinum edge

I'm waiting to unload a number of figurines (evangelion and fma) and plushies (some bleach) that I got while I was in Japan.  Hopefully I won't be to busy trying to graduate and go sell some of this stuff.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "platinum edge"I'm waiting to unload a number of figurines (evangelion and fma) and plushies (some bleach) that I got while I was in Japan.  Hopefully I won't be to busy trying to graduate and go sell some of this stuff.

Ooh what plushies you have? and what Eva figures you have?
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

platinum edge

Some Auska and Rei in various outfits, Roy Mustang, Ed, Riza Hawkeye and Black Hayate (all PVC figurines); as well as some Bleach plushies (Urahara, Ichigo, Rukia, Kon) and lighters.  Most of these were UFO catcher prizes that you have to win to get.  I think I found some stores selling some of these items, but they didn't have that many.  I'm planning to sell them at the Swap Meet as I mentioned earlier, however, if I can't make it to Fanime this year, I'll sell them on the boards.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "platinum edge"Some Auska and Rei in various outfits, Roy Mustang, Ed, Riza Hawkeye and Black Hayate (all PVC figurines); as well as some Bleach plushies (Urahara, Ichigo, Rukia, Kon) and lighters.  Most of these were UFO catcher prizes that you have to win to get.  I think I found some stores selling some of these items, but they didn't have that many.  I'm planning to sell them at the Swap Meet as I mentioned earlier, however, if I can't make it to Fanime this year, I'll sell them on the boards.

ah ok cool. Hey, can you take pics of the eva figures? I might buy off you one before con. :D

ced1106

Hmm. We should do some sort of swap meet gathering. Foothill Anime did it once during their 30-minute break. Any space for one at the April gathering?

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

GalaxyRailways

Yes, please let us know more about the swap meet. I buy plushies and toys by the lot from Yahoo Japan and have a ton of plush to unload.  :D Especially in the Prince of Tennis dept.

Take care

Sora

I'll be selling some stuff at the Swap Meet also. Such as doujinshi and manga and a DVD or two.
"Don't give me any orders."

Junpei

Oh yeah, I have a whole pile of (real, Japanese) anime goods to unload... too bad they won't let me sell all my HK wallscrolls, miniposters and CDs, dunno what to do with 'em.

Sora

When will the Swap Meet be this year?
"Don't give me any orders."

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: "Edward Elric"When will the Swap Meet be this year?
I heard that it'll be Friday and Saturday....but last year it was only on Saturday so.....^^;;

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"
I heard that it'll be Friday and Saturday....but last year it was only on Saturday so.....^^;;

to both of you guys, the answer is here:

http://www.fanime.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4160

Rufus Shinra

Quote from: "RyuHayabusa"

to both of you guys, the answer is here:

http://www.fanime.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4160

This site wasn't working when I checked. ~`~  Well, anyway, do you have to have a booth, table, or whatever, or can you just bring a couple items you want to trade? I have Sephy with a broken sword (10in resin statue) and an unopened Vincent, same size. They're too cool to just off load to anyone.

SuperKawaiiNeko

Oh mighty thread..... WISE FWOM YO GWAAAAAAAABE!

Its late and Im bored, so I thought I'd address this thread.

Um...no? To my knowledge, the Swap Meet has always been thursday and friday, since its inception. With the possible exception of its first year. I also happen to know for a fact that it happened on both thursday AND friday last year, because I went both days (I got more than 30 volumes of manga for about 100 dollars, plus other stuff) and I took a break from stuffing bags for thursday's pre-reg to do it.

There is, at this moment, no official word on swap meet schedule or regulations. Tony isnt a sneaky demon. Well...maybe he is, but he certainly isnt maliciously trying to keep information from everyone. Rest assured that as soon as the details are finalised at some staff meeting or other, the website will be updated straight away. Just keep your eye on www.fanime.com for updates (the swap meet, specifically, is under the "Live Events" option.)

Now, I am not swap meet staff so I dont represent anything even remotely resembling an official word, so take everything I say here with a grain of salt. That said, Ive been around a while....let us say I "hear things." I have "experience" in nebulous "matters." Allow me to offer my educated guesstimations.

In ages past, the swap meet has traditionally been held thusday and friday evenings. I would expect this trend to continue. I cant really guess at exact times, though evenings are standard. For friday, I wouldnt expect it to open until AFTER the dealer's room closes (for various reasons which should be obvious.) My Fanime 2004 schedule (the best I could find on short notice) supports this theory, listing both the dealers room close time and the swap meet opening at 6 pm friday.

For policy, I am less sure. I dont think you need to reserve a spot before hand or anything like that, but maybe you do. I think you just walk in and sit down at whatever empty spot (but Im not at all sure so please PLEASE dont quote me on that.) You may be made to put your name on some sort of "list" along with "information" of a mysterious nature. Indeed! You may be required even to sign something. A wavier perhaps, dictating that you will behave yourself, or that you wont sue fanime if your merchandise is stolen as a result of your own inattentiveness, or maybe that you will not sell illicit materials to minors. Or EVEN all of the above. Truly, the intelligent vendor would come prepared for all of these eventualities, and more.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Belldandy

The spots were on a first come first served basis and some people started waiting HOURS before the swap meet to ensure they'd get a place.

SuperKawaiiNeko

God damnit. The posts in this thread before Rufus' were all from BEFORE fanime 06 XD

When I made my last post, I thought it was more recent than that. People need to stop bumping mummified threads XD
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010