4 (10.8%)
Not so sure...
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: December 07, 2005, 07:21:33 PM

Jyunishinsho

~Jyunishinsho's thinking rant of the day~

*for poll answering, the question is from the title of this thread*

>AUTHOR'S NOTE, when I use perverted and stuff, I don't mean it in a bad way.

I was told this at school today.

Most otaku are perverted (in their own senses) or just plain weird and unnatural compared to other forms of fandom. I asked like about how many of otaku are, and I was answered with about 60%. Not that it's a bad thing.

After my Spanish test, I got thinking:

Hm. Perhaps it is true. There are a lot of anime that have scantly-clad characters and a lot of flashing. There are plenty with many sexual situations and of course some that truly do go 'all the way' (hentai, hahaha). Not that it's a bad thing.
Then I went ahead and looked at the fan-base, in this case, at what they watch. I noticed a little something in a lot of otaku. I see that most enjoy watching the anime genre said above (the moe older otaku, mind you), but also that some fantasize and dream about it, sometimes a little too hard. Pretty odd, but I recall about 10 people asking me during my anime club if I can show hentai. Obviously I can't or else I'd risk expulsion.
After I thought of what they watch, I went ahead and thought of the people's personalities and actions. Lots of us are very affectionate, and we tend to hug and more toward other people. Also people are willing to pay others to go yaoi/yuri. Heck, I know the feeling. But with this in mind, this sorta shows a somewhat interesting statistic in most otaku. Also gives me an experiment to try out next Fanime.
I have the understanding that some otaku are not perverted. I know some who appear to be normal/innocent/etc. Sometimes when it get to a minor flashy part of an anime I show, they apparently tense a little. I guess it also is based on age, haha.
But this is just me thinking. I do know for a fact that there are otaku who are not perverted or strange. I have nothing against anyone, and I cannot stress that enough. I'm just thinking and all. Not that it's a bad thing.
What do you think?

Tsubasa

I'll make the assumption that your survey primarily addresses American fandom.

I like to think that most people in contemporary American society (and a growing percentage of the world's societies) are perverted to an extent.  It's the constant bombardment of sexual images in advertising and entertainment.  Under this assumption, I think that "anime otaku" as you're talking about, are no more perverted than any other individuals.  It's just that anime provides safe targets for these perversions-in the form of fictional characters.  It's much easier to objectify fictional characters as sexual objects.

As an individual, service is not a consideration when I watch anime.  I do watch a lot of moe anime, but I don't particuarily watch outright sexual stuff.  That isn't to say that I, as a healthy male, don't enjoy the occasional service, but sex is a negligable factor for me when I'm deciding what to watch.

Note that I am not the most touchy-feely person ever, so I don't offer hugs often.

I guess I'm probably slightly outside your 60%.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Jyunishinsho

Quote from: "Tsubasa"I'll make the assumption that your survey primarily addresses American fandom.

I like to think that most people in contemporary American society (and a growing percentage of the world's societies) are perverted to an extent.  It's the constant bombardment of sexual images in advertising and entertainment.  Under this assumption, I think that "anime otaku" as you're talking about, are no more perverted than any other individuals.  It's just that anime provides safe targets for these perversions-in the form of fictional characters.  It's much easier to objectify fictional characters as sexual objects.

As an individual, service is not a consideration when I watch anime.  I do watch a lot of moe anime, but I don't particuarily watch outright sexual stuff.  That isn't to say that I, as a healthy male, don't enjoy the occasional service, but sex is a negligable factor for me when I'm deciding what to watch.

Note that I am not the most touchy-feely person ever, so I don't offer hugs often.

I guess I'm probably slightly outside your 60%.

Judging by your attitude in real life, I can make the assumption that yes, you are one of the 40%. Your attitude contrasts, shall I say, other people's personalities. I can say the same about myself as well. Oddly, some people tell me I'm too clean for my age, probably odd enough that they call me innocent. Ha, guess I have a title of the Innocent Gear, for now...      (...clean?)
>BUT I do consider myself a balance on that fine line. Me? I'm literally in love with a scantly-clad 3 year old girl with the body of an 18 year old. People think I'm a pervert just because of that reasoning. Afterwards, I just think why they'd say that. My taste in characters?
True that contemporary media today depicts sexual fantasies, and sometimes the same goes for anime. Moe anime is ok, unless it goes too far, aka Puni Puni Poemi far. - -

Spiritsnare

I'll just say it outright -- too much service in an anime just turns me off. If the character had more depth to her character, then yes, I'd consider adding her to my Long List of Bishoujo That Live In My Head™. Oh, and if given a choice on whether I should obtain the ecchi or non-ecchi version, I go for the all-ages all-explicit-content-removed build.

Tsubasa nailed the general idea that modern society is perverted in general, as well, so I shan't speak any more about the subject.
epic progressive

vox

qazplm872

well i thinl some are. it could be worse, but i know a girl....yaoi freak. i mean like 24/7, hardcore yaoi with the paddle and everything. so it is not just the guys. but with the stero-typical anime...it is kinda hard not to be. girl with tight close, huge or no breats. with colorful hair. that what most people think of, or wierd creature (IE pokemon and digimon, etc) and all the wierd hentai that goes along with that! but most mature fans do seek good plots and well developed characters (and not in the bra size!) so it is like every person, it depends on a person to person bases.
~holi-er~

Tony

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"Hm. Perhaps it is true. There are a lot of anime that have scantly-clad characters and a lot of flashing.[/quotes]
Like movies?

QuoteThere are plenty with many sexual situations and of course some that truly do go 'all the way' (hentai, hahaha). Not that it's a bad thing.
Like movies?

QuoteAfter I thought of what they watch, I went ahead and thought of the people's personalities and actions. Lots of us are very affectionate, and we tend to hug and more toward other people. Also people are willing to pay others to go yaoi/yuri.
Like girls gone wild?

QuoteWhat do you think?
I think 60% of human beings are perverted.  :D
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Random

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"I'm literally in love with a scantly-clad 3 year old girl with the body of an 18 year old.
:shock:  Dude.  Thats dirty.
Or is it?
One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
  WOW!

KimaLucifer

...wow.

I think I fall outside of the 60%. As far as I know I watch anime in which people are dressed fully.

Yeah I think it's a matter of the American Fandom. I mean, if it was Japan I know for sure that I'll see at least 75% of the anime watching population would prefer Eyeshield 21 to Tenjou Tenge.

But I'm not sure if you're counting female otakus. D:
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Tony"
Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"Hm. Perhaps it is true. There are a lot of anime that have scantly-clad characters and a lot of flashing.
Like movies?

QuoteThere are plenty with many sexual situations and of course some that truly do go 'all the way' (hentai, hahaha). Not that it's a bad thing.
Like movies?

QuoteAfter I thought of what they watch, I went ahead and thought of the people's personalities and actions. Lots of us are very affectionate, and we tend to hug and more toward other people. Also people are willing to pay others to go yaoi/yuri.
Like girls gone wild?

QuoteWhat do you think?

Tony wins the thread. XDDD
epic progressive

vox

Sunara Ishi

Not sure where I fall... probably outside. >.> All I know is that I'm semi-perverted. >.>

~runs away from topic. XP~
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

G.I.R

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"Not sure where I fall... probably outside. >.> All I know is that I'm semi-perverted. >.>

That's probably true about eveyone. :D
Everyone is probably perverted to some percentage (wheather they'll admit it or not).

Captaine Kit

In Europe, people don't have an attitude problem with sex in general.  The problem is with violence, and that is something that is considered with heavier head and heart in European television and marketing.

In contrast, American media are mad about sex.  It has to be objectified, and no part of it is normal.  When it has a negative spin on it, sex is just totally out of the question.  We can recall this judgemental attitude when it comes to the reaction concerining censorship of a certain Super Bowl Halftime show.  When sex has a "positive" spin on it, it is still objectified as what goes bump in the night, something reserved for the lonely or the twisted or the very stupid college girl who wants to be caught on camera.  

This says something, but as bold as I play, I might be too afraid to come out and say more on sex in a world of entertainment created with a guage informed only by male attitudes.
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

Random

Quote from: "KimaLucifer"But I'm not sure if you're counting female otakus. D:
Oh yeah.  a quick trip to yaoi-con can confirm this.
  WOW!

Sunara Ishi

QuoteNot sure where I fall... probably outside. >.> All I know is that I'm semi-perverted. >.>

Also meant to say:

I agree with Jyun's theory. It's probably at least that much.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Ruby

I have to agree with Tony on all of this. :P I think it's human beings.

>.> But yeah, I'll admit I'm perverted to an extent. :P I don't always watch anime that has characters in slut-wear. o_o But, hey, if the show has a nice plot to it or it's funny or whatever..I don't care, I'll watch it. They could be naked for all I care...:P As long as theres something else to it besides sex. o.O; I think thats why Hentai never really...applied to me much. o.O; I went into the Hentai room for a bit last year and (maybe it was just the anime..) But I was like, "...o_O; People get off on this?" o.o; But yeah. I guess the Hentai room is mostly for the jokes. XD Which is awesome too.
Chance of going to Fanimecon 2015: 50%! ;_;

Moogleborg

Quote from: "Tony"

I'm with ya on that Tony....and the rest with what ya said but I definitely agree with ya on that! ^_^
Running on moé, 24/7/365.