Gundam Seed Destiny

Started by jindo, December 08, 2005, 07:11:51 PM

jindo

Has anyone seen Gundam Seed Destiny?  If so how is it compared to the original series?  My concern is that I've seen some R2 reviews and most of them were pretty low and I was wondering if its actually worth buying the series since it'll be releasing in R1 next year...
If you can afford a smart phone, then you can support the industries by "purchasing" the legit goods.

shortpachoo

I liked it, and same goes for Gundam Seed.

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

RyuHayabusa

here's my opinion/summary:
It blew chunks. It tried so hard to be a homage to Zeta Gundam and it failed miserably. I didn't like none of the new characters, Shinn was an jerk through and through, and episode 37, the writers decided to do a rip-off of Anakin's Fall to the Dark Side scene from RoTS and it just went downhill from there. It really failed my expectations of a Gundam Series as a follow-up.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Tsubasa

Don't go into it expecting SEED caliber, let me just say that.  Yes, as Ryu has said, it is a step down, but I didn't think it was that bad.  The plot was kinda unimaginative and the main character, Shinn, is just about the most detestable anime character I can think of, but I kinda just enjoyed being able to watch more SEED.  Although it isn't as good, it definately has the same feel.  And kudos for introducing my favorite female of the series in Destiny: Lunamaria Hawke.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Evangelion Xgouki

Most of the beginning of the series was decent.  It kept my interest through most of it.  I was, however, disappointed with how they did the ending.  It seemed a little rushed and didn't have much closure.  It could have been much better if they had either done a different ending or extended it a bit.

The-O

Agreed with the posts above. Many of my friends did not particularly enjoy Destiny that much; however, I actually liked it. Definately the events that happen in Destiny is a mirror of Seed almost to an extent of an episode to episode basis, but of course the story is told from the perspective of ZAFT.
I really liked Seed a lot, which probably drew me in more when the old characters are dragged back into the spotlight. I felt Destiny was really fanserviced, but another perspective that drew me in were the battles.
You can try purchasing the 1st DVD when it releases and see if you like it.
I have not been following at all, but I heard rumors of a possibility of another
sequel in the future. My best bet on the new "protagonist" has to do with the last request made in last episode of Destiny.
:X
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "The-O"Agreed with the posts above. Many of my friends did not particularly enjoy Destiny that much; however, I actually liked it. Definately the events that happen in Destiny is a mirror of Seed almost to an extent of an episode to episode basis, but of course the story is told from the perspective of ZAFT.
I really liked Seed a lot, which probably drew me in more when the old characters are dragged back into the spotlight. I felt Destiny was really fanserviced, but another perspective that drew me in were the battles.
You can try purchasing the 1st DVD when it releases and see if you like it.
I have not been following at all, but I heard rumors of a possibility of another
sequel in the future. My best bet on the new "protagonist" has to do with the last request made in last episode of Destiny.

Oh god, no. Just let it die as is. I don't want Fukuda to mess up even more by doing a rip-off of Char's Counterattack. Enough is enough.

Tsubasa

Quote from: "The-O"I have not been following at all, but I heard rumors of a possibility of another
The word "Eternity" was being tossed around as the name of the followup series.  I am unsure of the validity of the following passage or where all the information came from for that matter, but rumor has created the following summary:

Quote-It's rumored that it could be released around October 2006
-Fukuda Mitsuo is still the director for the series.
-Most of the characters are back: Kira Yamato, Athrun Zala, Cagalli
Yula Attha, Mwu La Fragga, Marrue Ramius, Yzak Jule, Dearkka Elsman.
-Kei Minato is the main protagonist of the story.
-The new mobile suits are called Splash, Garnet, and Celcius.

Synopsis:

C.E. 77 - Four years have passed since Kira Yamato and his comrades
shattered Gilbert Dullindal's ambition. Athrun, who became the
representative of the bridge that connects between the worlds,
International Alliance called Eternity(so as the title goes), was now
spending busy days fighting against great number of terrorists who
revolted against the current world, while searching for his best
friend, Kira, who disappeared after the great war. During that time,
a large and mysterious organization, called Evil Mea, which tries to
push Naturals into extinction, lead by Astea Rineheart, a man in a
mask, suddenly appears. As a result, Athrun too, sends out the
Eternity Army, lead by Mwu, Yzak, and Dearkka, but the tide begins to
turn before the four Gundams ridden by another man in mask, as well
as being Astea Rineheart's right hand man, Glenn Magnius, and his
subordinates, Wil Ryumiel, Sakura Elsenue, and Olin Gilford. As that
happens, Eternity's Elite Pilot, Ken Minato, riding Splash Gundam,
Aisia Selinue's Garnet Gundam, and Celcius Gundam controlled by Leon
Wiznard, stand in front of Glenn. The new sword has now descended.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "Tsubasa"
Quote from: "The-O"I have not been following at all, but I heard rumors of a possibility of another
The word "Eternity" was being tossed around as the name of the followup series.  I am unsure of the validity of the following passage or where all the information came from for that matter, but rumor has created the following summary:

Quote-It's rumored that it could be released around October 2006
-Fukuda Mitsuo is still the director for the series.
-Most of the characters are back: Kira Yamato, Athrun Zala, Cagalli
Yula Attha, Mwu La Fragga, Marrue Ramius, Yzak Jule, Dearkka Elsman.
-Kei Minato is the main protagonist of the story.
-The new mobile suits are called Splash, Garnet, and Celcius.

Synopsis:

C.E. 77 - Four years have passed since Kira Yamato and his comrades
shattered Gilbert Dullindal's ambition. Athrun, who became the
representative of the bridge that connects between the worlds,
International Alliance called Eternity(so as the title goes), was now
spending busy days fighting against great number of terrorists who
revolted against the current world, while searching for his best
friend, Kira, who disappeared after the great war. During that time,
a large and mysterious organization, called Evil Mea, which tries to
push Naturals into extinction, lead by Astea Rineheart, a man in a
mask, suddenly appears. As a result, Athrun too, sends out the
Eternity Army, lead by Mwu, Yzak, and Dearkka, but the tide begins to
turn before the four Gundams ridden by another man in mask, as well
as being Astea Rineheart's right hand man, Glenn Magnius, and his
subordinates, Wil Ryumiel, Sakura Elsenue, and Olin Gilford. As that
happens, Eternity's Elite Pilot, Ken Minato, riding Splash Gundam,
Aisia Selinue's Garnet Gundam, and Celcius Gundam controlled by Leon
Wiznard, stand in front of Glenn. The new sword has now descended.

Ok, now that sounds ridiculous. Eternity? WTF? 2 guys in masks? Fukuda, give me a break. Just die already. You already messed up this series as is.    2 opposing factions? How come this sounds like he's ripping off ZZ Gundam? If I see a girl wearing a mask, like Haman Karn, leader of the 1st Neo-Zeon Movement, being portrayed as a guy, then it's all hell.

jindo

Finally watched entire series and I agree it's not as good as the original Seed series but it was worth watching and collecting.  Which I ended up buying the R2 sets  :oops:.  

Those who care...1st press R2 dvds comes with additional dvd case (thin pack) with additional artwork and etc.
If you can afford a smart phone, then you can support the industries by "purchasing" the legit goods.

Cloudzero

I was interested in this because it was more Gundam Seed, but it's pretty much just that-more Gundam Seed.

The plot... was pretty much the same... I'll leave the details on that to your imagination so as not to spoil.

KyraEnsui

>.> They have better not messed it up because it is getting ridiculous how they can't think of better idea to even progress the series to the end. More likely, I don't like it when they begin to mess around the characters. I love Kira and Lacus, but I wish they wouldn't like split Cagalli and Athrun like that in Destiny. Man, I am feeling the low expection for the next season. Eternity? The same name as the ship that Lacus commands? Oh boy. I am going to keep my hopes, but it's not high.

jindo

Quote from: "KyraEnsui">.> They have better not messed it up because it is getting ridiculous how they can't think of better idea to even progress the series to the end. More likely, I don't like it when they begin to mess around the characters. I love Kira and Lacus, but I wish they wouldn't like split Cagalli and Athrun like that in Destiny. Man, I am feeling the low expection for the next season. Eternity? The same name as the ship that Lacus commands? Oh boy. I am going to keep my hopes, but it's not high.

Finally watched the last vol. 13 of R2 dvd.  I assure you that you won't be dissapointed.  Although first 10 eps maybe slow but it really picks up later on.  Also don't be fooled by digi-sub versions.  The dvd version has plenty of redoned and added scenes from the original tv series.  You won't be dissapointed with Destiny series.  I'm just hoping R1 release keeps all the omake programs that were on R2.  Interviews with producers etc.  including extended version of Final episode.  8)

hojo

Gundam SeeD should die, die right now

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "jindo"
Quote from: "KyraEnsui">.> They have better not messed it up because it is getting ridiculous how they can't think of better idea to even progress the series to the end. More likely, I don't like it when they begin to mess around the characters. I love Kira and Lacus, but I wish they wouldn't like split Cagalli and Athrun like that in Destiny. Man, I am feeling the low expection for the next season. Eternity? The same name as the ship that Lacus commands? Oh boy. I am going to keep my hopes, but it's not high.

Finally watched the last vol. 13 of R2 dvd.  I assure you that you won't be dissapointed.  Although first 10 eps maybe slow but it really picks up later on.  Also don't be fooled by digi-sub versions.  The dvd version has plenty of redoned and added scenes from the original tv series.  You won't be dissapointed with Destiny series.  I'm just hoping R1 release keeps all the omake programs that were on R2.  Interviews with producers etc.  including extended version of Final episode.  8)

yeah, added/redone scenes still won't save the plot, which is basically bad.  Plot and characters comes 1st in my opinion. This series had little plot, too many flashbacks and Shinn is an annoying character as well. Trust me on that.

Cloudzero

Tsubasa: Shinn needs to DIE!

Shinn didn't bother me too much in my opinion. For the sake of storyline, however, I still believe that instead of switching at the halfway point of series to Kira and Athrun killing everything abd being gods again that they should have allowed Shinn to carry out his revenge a little further, only to have him come to an epiphany that that was wrong. I'm pretty confident they could have used Luna in that

jindo

I'm only dissapointed by Athrun holding back his seed sense during the battle.  He only uses it twice in the entire series.  :x

Cloudzero

True. At least the last one one was for a good reason.

Luna Banzai. :D

jindo

http://www.boards.jp/forums/showthread.php?t=16468 interesting gundam poll taken in Japan.  People do appreciate GS destiny series.  8)

Spalding

I liked it, it is O.K.

It is not so Different from seed.
Is all about anime and fanime.