Media Play, Great Mall: It's gone

Started by Jyunishinsho, December 10, 2005, 06:57:16 PM

Jyunishinsho

Quote from: "Chun"Suncoast is a terrible place to buy DVDs if you're looking for a good deal. 70% of the box sets/dvds there are always full price, or inflated by 5 dollars than if you went to Best Buy or some other niche shop.

~Chun

Huh. Guess that's why it closed then?

Ryuji

hmm i never went to the great mall enough...y is it closing now T_T...i was going to blow the last of my money on JTAF...grr
Video Games: Not an Addiction, but a Lifestyle!!!
"Ex-Rover from Con"

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"
Haha, now I go show off at the local DDR Extreme machine located at the internet cafe...

Same here.

For some place, that's a place that hasn't been touched by the elite, as the players I saw there didn't even know what an Extra Stage was.

Maybe it was just because of the time I happened to be there.

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"Ditto to when they demoed the Sam Goody and Suncoast out of Eastridge way before it was remodeled.

And the "new" Eastridge isn't exactly better, either, IMO. >.>

Gamestop is a definite plus, though. Gamestop staffed by a dude who can instantly tell me that Beatmania US's not on their reserve list without checking is even better.
epic progressive

vox

lyricaldanichan

Never heard of Kyuun, what did they sell there?

Only reason to go to the great mall is Dave and Busters! LOL

I have to say that I miss wonder park as well, kinda suprised it went away since they seem to have a lot of buisness. I am guessing the rent for the amont of space there was way too expensive.

So is Media Play allready gone or will it close down at the end of the month? Wow Good Guys and now Media Play.. how sad!

gmontem

Quote from: "Chloe"It was always the hang out for us Otakus like the 2004 Christmas Gathering~! =w=
That was a most awesome time. Maybe we should have a last minute gathering at Media Play this weekend. lol.
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

Ryuji

this weekend is JTAF...so i wouldnt be able to make it...
Video Games: Not an Addiction, but a Lifestyle!!!
"Ex-Rover from Con"

Chun

This just in, from kotaku.com:

Media play will be shutting down all 61 of its stores nation wide. Prices have been slashed anywhere from 10% to 40% in a last minute clearance sale, including games and animation.

THIS INCLUDES XBOX360 EQUIPMENT.

Even more reason to go.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Never heard of Kyuun, what did they sell there?

The premise of Kyun was (more or less) "$1-5 stuff" -- which included plenty of Japanese candy, snacks, and drinks. Furthermore, they had Pocky at prices lower than Media Play's abhorrent tags ($3?!).

It's where I got my Japanese-post-box-styled ceramic bank. <3

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Only reason to go to the great mall is Dave and Busters! LOL

Not when one's under 18. :( There's no place for me to go anymore, 'cept the aforementioned net cafe.

Quote from: "Chun"This just in, from kotaku.com:

Media play will be shutting down all 61 of its stores nation wide. Prices have been slashed anywhere from 10% to 40% in a last minute clearance sale, including games and animation.

THIS INCLUDES XBOX360 EQUIPMENT.

Even more reason to go.

Too bad 360s themselves have been sold out. XDDDD I would've laughed so hard if they still had 360s and they sold them at 40% discount...
epic progressive

vox

hakudoushi

Quote from: "gmontem"
Quote from: "Chloe"It was always the hang out for us Otakus like the 2004 Christmas Gathering~! =w=
That was a most awesome time. Maybe we should have a last minute gathering at Media Play this weekend. lol.
yes! a "farewell to one of the best places to get anime and manga" gathering. xD
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Chloe

Quote from: "hakudoushi"
Quote from: "gmontem"
yes! a "farewell to one of the best places to get anime and manga" gathering. xD

Yeah~!  Hey... How come were not going to have a Christmas Gathering...? *Tear* =w=
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

hakudoushi

i guess no one wanted to plan one..
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Jyunishinsho

Wirebrain

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Never heard of Kyuun, what did they sell there?

Only reason to go to the great mall is Dave and Busters! LOL

I have to say that I miss wonder park as well, kinda suprised it went away since they seem to have a lot of buisness. I am guessing the rent for the amont of space there was way too expensive.

The word is that Namco had a contract that they'd be the only arcade in the mall. D&B moves in, Namco throws a fit and hauls its stuff out.

But D&B is not even worth going any more since they removed the Battletech Pods, and replaced it with a lame 2 player madden game. Oh joy of joys...

Jyunishinsho

UPDATE
aka Jyunishinsho's gossip of the day

Like what some people may think, whether Media Play will close; to me, it's now very lofty.
Reason? My brother and I went to it today, and lo and behold, all the signs that says "Store Closing!" were blocked off by little signs that say "30% off! 40% off! 50% off!".
What I can assume of this: marketing ploy in it's beginning. However, looking around the store, the entire wall of anime goods are gone. All that are left is manga and anime dvds. Even the Menchi frying pans are gone.

Wirebrain

Not true... the shirts and posters are gone, but any anime toys, like the Menchi pans, are still there last I checked. (last night)

Not really worth the rush over there, 20% off a 28 buck price tag on a dvd, when I can still get most of those cheaper at Best Buy or Fry's.

Jyunishinsho

Quote from: "Wirebrain"Not true... the shirts and posters are gone, but any anime toys, like the Menchi pans, are still there last I checked. (last night)

Not really worth the rush over there, 20% off a 28 buck price tag on a dvd, when I can still get most of those cheaper at Best Buy or Fry's.

Ara? When I was there (7:30 pm), there was nothing on the walls, except for the Menchi pans and Hellsing tote bags. Then after a while, I came back and they were gone.

NachoManLance

Man, I remember the days that I would rollerblade for about 20 minutes so I could buy a Leninade from BvMo!, and then find a manga to read/buy. Without a Media Play to have fun in, a Vans skatepark to make fun of the kids that beef it, or a Kyuun to buy my necessary goods.... let's just boycott Great Mall XD

Question, though: what store do you think will replace it?

Hopefully one with DVDs and manga... [-o<

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "NachoManLance"Question, though: what store do you think will replace it?

BED, BATH, AND BEYOND LOL.

You know, it could very well happen.
epic progressive

vox

Moogleborg

Quote from: "NachoManLance"Man, I remember the days that I would rollerblade for about 20 minutes so I could buy a Leninade from BvMo!, and then find a manga to read/buy. Without a Media Play to have fun in, a Vans skatepark to make fun of the kids that beef it, or a Kyuun to buy my necessary goods.... let's just boycott Great Mall XD

Question, though: what store do you think will replace it?

Hopefully one with DVDs and manga... [-o<

Noooo! No boycott! As much as its been buzy around the mall these days, the Arbys that I work at still needs its customers! ^^

I think another Media Play-esque entertainment store or at least a Nickel City or something like that would be a good replacement! ^^
Running on moé, 24/7/365.