Media Play, Great Mall: It's gone

Started by Jyunishinsho, December 10, 2005, 06:57:16 PM

ININ

D&B may be next to shut down if people stop going there.  Another company is buying D&B hoping to improve operations.

Jyunishinsho

I've noticed a little something about that area of the Great Mall...

Most of the stores in the Media Play, D&B, and former Vans Skate Park area seem to be...how should I say...closing? I noticed this seeing a few bargain stores closing, some reopening, this and that. But it's a little interesting thing I noticed. Perhaps the Bermuda Triangle of the Great Mall?

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"Perhaps the Bermuda Triangle of the Great Mall?

Means if Nickel City were to replace it, it'd die within three years.
epic progressive

vox

NachoManLance

Heh, Nickel City XD

Well, Media Play was practicaly the only big store there that could offer movies, games, anime, and any other electronic goodies. Like a cooler version of Best Buy (IMO). I don't think they'd attract the same sort of customers unless they replace it with a store that can meet their similar needs. So I just have a hunch they'd replace it with a store franchise like Media Play, albeit more expensive ^^;

Eh, I'm only a teenager. I'm probably wrong.

Shinsengumi

I was there today at the great mall and I check out Media Play, to me they had good selection since I don't live around the area. I was able to buy games on my PS2 and one anime dvd for my friend for x-mas. it's sad that it's closing.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

lyricaldanichan

The great mall is pretty much a shitty mall with so-so stores. Kinda sucks that this is happening but they can't compete with malls like Valley Fair. If they got rid of those nickle and dime stores and put in some stores that people care about then it would be worth going.  Also Vans Skate Park closed all over the place which is sad considering it was a positive place for kids to go. There was suposed to be on in Sacramento but that fell thru :(.

Speaking of that,  I wish Dave and Busters would build in Sacramento! They would sure get the buisness since there is nothing to do here! I don't get why they have 4 of them in LA but one in the bay area! :(

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "Wirebrain"
Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Never heard of Kyuun, what did they sell there?

Only reason to go to the great mall is Dave and Busters! LOL

I have to say that I miss wonder park as well, kinda suprised it went away since they seem to have a lot of buisness. I am guessing the rent for the amont of space there was way too expensive.

The word is that Namco had a contract that they'd be the only arcade in the mall. D&B moves in, Namco throws a fit and hauls its stuff out.

But D&B is not even worth going any more since they removed the Battletech Pods, and replaced it with a lame 2 player madden game. Oh joy of joys...

No kidding? You think they would move Wonder Park elsewhere instead of shutting it down definatly. Kinda lame if you ask me.. haha

Wow well battle tech is like what 15 years old or so? Not suprised they took it out but I wonder why they never updated it with better graphics?

I know you guys are under 18, but it is nice to have a chuck e cheese for adults. lol

hakudoushi

i went there today, and wow, their manga is so...unorganized. i guess they cant be bothered, since theyre about to close. but they have almost no manga left.
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Wirebrain

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"
Quote from: "Wirebrain"
Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"Never heard of Kyuun, what did they sell there?

Only reason to go to the great mall is Dave and Busters! LOL

I have to say that I miss wonder park as well, kinda suprised it went away since they seem to have a lot of buisness. I am guessing the rent for the amont of space there was way too expensive.

The word is that Namco had a contract that they'd be the only arcade in the mall. D&B moves in, Namco throws a fit and hauls its stuff out.

But D&B is not even worth going any more since they removed the Battletech Pods, and replaced it with a lame 2 player madden game. Oh joy of joys...

No kidding? You think they would move Wonder Park elsewhere instead of shutting it down definatly. Kinda lame if you ask me.. haha

Wow well battle tech is like what 15 years old or so? Not suprised they took it out but I wonder why they never updated it with better graphics?

I know you guys are under 18, but it is nice to have a chuck e cheese for adults. lol

While battletech is 15 years old, they often had major updates with graphic, gameplay and pod changes that would rival most modern high end PC or arcade games at the times. Advanced play was a few little readouts that didn`t quite work all the time back in 92. Advanced play now was full voice systems, ejection, weapon interfaces, multiple huds, several different layouts, jump jets and frequent mech rotations.
It was still worth about 4-5 bucks a play a few months ago.

grove

So sad that they're closing.

ALthough I would disagree that GM is a shitty place. There's lots of good places to find cosplay-worthy and trendy clothing.

Maybe that's because I'm Asian (most GM goers are Asian).
The chicka with the kick.

dOrkaLishiz

Quote from: "grove"So sad that they're closing.

ALthough I would disagree that GM is a shitty place. There's lots of good places to find cosplay-worthy and trendy clothing.

Maybe that's because I'm Asian (most GM goers are Asian).

What's GM?
<3 Maria

Boscardin

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: "dOrkaLishiz"What's GM?
Great Mall :wink:

Media Play closing its doors really is too bad but the Vans Skate Park shutting down hurt. No more 5th Mix, cept for at Chuck e Cheese on Tully here in San Jose and they could improve on D&B's if they put some playworthy games and lowered their prices. It's pretty close to $1.75 for 1 game (3 songs) of Pump, extra stage too if you make it but they hardly maintain those pads so they can be sketchy. But I guess the place is self propelling to a certain extent, a bunch of rowdy guys come in, get drunk and lose the ability to controll their wallets and spend blasphemous amounts of money on games that suck.

...and thats what really grinds my gears.

dOrkaLishiz

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"...and thats what really grinds my gears.

Hahaha. Family Guy reference. Awesome.
<3 Maria

Boscardin

Emerge

wow...this is some harsh stuff. i used to play game demos in there. and thus, a loss has been taken by all.*plays taps*

but seriously. the only things that great mall has going for it now is the food court and johnny rocket's. and that jumbo-bean-bag-thing store.

huh-ho, God help that mall if they decide to take away my only opportunity to eat a beef n' cheddar and chili-cheese fries with cinnabon as desert, after which i rest for 10 minutes on one-a-dem comfy spheres-o-satisfaction. i swear, great mall. take away your last remaining redeeming factors and heads are gonna ROLL!!! :evil:

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"Media Play closing its doors really is too bad but the Vans Skate Park shutting down hurt. No more 5th Mix, cept for at Chuck e Cheese on Tully here in San Jose...

And I'm so suspicious of that particular machine. Last I played it it took three missteps to drain my bar to near-fail.

Somehow I think they've set their difficulty at 8. :(
epic progressive

vox

NachoManLance

Man, I was planning to go there tomrrow and I hear there's barely any manga left. Looks like I need to drive to McCarthy to get that Negima.

The only place I can go to now for good times is Golfland... and I suck at golf.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "NachoManLance"The only place I can go to now for good times is Golfland... and I suck at golf.

This is why they call Golfland the Golfland Arcade. XD
epic progressive

vox

grove

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
Quote from: "NachoManLance"The only place I can go to now for good times is Golfland... and I suck at golf.

This is why they call Golfland the Golfland Arcade. XD

Haha... the one in Milpitas... X3333
The chicka with the kick.

lyricaldanichan

For about ever Sunnyvale Golfland was the best place to go to play the latest and greatest arcade games. Last time I was there it just wasn't the same tho I am suprised fighting row was still crowded. Gotta love those Capcom Otakus!

I haven't been to the Milpitas Golfland in a long time but I guess they are the beatmani headquarters for the bay area now?

NachoManLance

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"I haven't been to the Milpitas Golfland in a long time but I guess they are the beatmani headquarters for the bay area now?

Just about. I mostly play the Drum Mania game there, often enough that I'd rather bring my own drumsticks than use the ones they give you behind the counter. Mine are too thick though, so I'm always worried that I'd break the cymbal pad :P