Anime becomes headline in the 1/10 Mercury; mentions Fanime

Started by Spiritsnare, January 10, 2006, 07:35:09 AM

Spiritsnare

Take a look at January 10's A+E section. Flip it over to the back.

There's a whole article about anime (leaning *so much* towards shounen -- I dare you guys to find one "recommendation" on that page that isn't), and Fanime is mentioned in the Branham High School Anime Club's activities. The piece, by Sarah Ho, touches upon four popular series -- Naruto, Bleach, FMA, and One Piece -- and, via a sidebar, talks about fansubs and where to get them, along with other anime club stuff.

If anyone can provide an online link to the article, I'd be grateful; if not, I'll be scanning it for your viewing pleasure soon, for those guys who are outside of the reach of the Mercury's home-delivering service.

So, what do you guys think?
epic progressive

vox

Eri

Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

Spiritsnare

epic progressive

vox

ININ

My first impression was the article was too short . . . although the side bar had more useful information ^_^  Perhaps Sarah Ho wrote a great story and the editor cut out most of the content leaving too much empty space and needed a big picture of Ed and Al from FMA???

BTW, the Mercury News A&E interactive has a weekly manga on their website.  Peach Girl was shown on Friday.

hakudoushi

i thought the articles were bad... -_-

and whats up with the
1. neon genesis
2. evangelion

o_O?
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Blues

As much of a fan as I am, I really wish people wou stop bringing attention to One Piece, since everyone's going to go look for the US dub, and that erodes my very soul...

"Do a flip!"

Chun

I personally thought it was terrible.

The article misses a lot of different points (Missing my club, GAO, from the bay area clubs list aside....) about the liscencing issues of fansubs and the diversity of anime from these stereotypical norms. Honestly,  Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and Full Metal are robots, ninjas, guns, and killing...

So where do Kare Kano, Comic Party, and Serial Experiments Lain fall into the mix?

The page REEKS of fanism from just Cartoon Network.

"The legality of file-sharing anime that is licensed in Japan but not in the United States is ambiguous. But once the producer exports those programs to a U.S. licensee, users would be violating the license agreement by downloading."

Let's put it straight; IT'S ILLEGAL. End of story. The only reason the groups haven't been touched on so maliciously is because these series are free advertising, and lawsuits would be messy for litte profit. They can just look at the free concensus, then grab the most drooled upon series right before it finishes up.

The varying of opinions is crap too. She went to three high schools and talked to the most frequent CN watchers.

This adds negative points to the "Anime and Manga as a General Medium, not all Sex, Violence, Robots" score.

I honestly would like to meet her and ask her where she got her weak sources. A terrible article for so many un-educated-in-anime eyes adds more misconceptions.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Chun"So where do Kare Kano, Comic Party, and Serial Experiments Lain fall into the mix?

Kare Kano is mentioned, but not suggested as being popular. The other two aren't.

ComiPa and Lain aren't mentioned, and that's why I said in the original post that the articles focus much heavily on shounen anime.

Oh, and they can't cover every anime club. Doing so would stretch that section of the newspaper. In a sidebar, it's better to pick three of the best.
epic progressive

vox

Chun

I know that much Spirit. Thus why I don't care about them excluding the club.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

hakudoushi

Quote from: "Chun"I personally thought it was terrible.

The article misses a lot of different points (Missing my club, GAO, from the bay area clubs list aside....) about the liscencing issues of fansubs and the diversity of anime from these stereotypical norms. Honestly,  Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and Full Metal are robots, ninjas, guns, and killing...

So where do Kare Kano, Comic Party, and Serial Experiments Lain fall into the mix?

The page REEKS of fanism from just Cartoon Network.

"The legality of file-sharing anime that is licensed in Japan but not in the United States is ambiguous. But once the producer exports those programs to a U.S. licensee, users would be violating the license agreement by downloading."

Let's put it straight; IT'S ILLEGAL. End of story. The only reason the groups haven't been touched on so maliciously is because these series are free advertising, and lawsuits would be messy for litte profit. They can just look at the free concensus, then grab the most drooled upon series right before it finishes up.

The varying of opinions is crap too. She went to three high schools and talked to the most frequent CN watchers.

This adds negative points to the "Anime and Manga as a General Medium, not all Sex, Violence, Robots" score.

I honestly would like to meet her and ask her where she got her weak sources. A terrible article for so many un-educated-in-anime eyes adds more misconceptions.

~Chun
-claps for you-
no really, i have a pet ninja.

Barnes

I think this article is STILL better than the FoxNews piece I posted once. Not by much though :lol:
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Leishu

The synopses were humorously bad. It reminded me of reading the series synopses off of horrendous hong-kong bootlegs.

On the article itself: It's correct that the article reads like a surface view of only popular Anime for someone who isn't really acquainted with what Anime is but there's a reason for that: It IS a surface view of only popular Anime (hence it being an article on why Anime is becoming more popular with teens... showing the more 'underground' Anime would be out of scope).

File-sharing of Anime titles is not blanket-illegal in the United States until those files are possessed of a United States copyright, in case you were curious. I am not condoning it or otherwise and this is really not the place for such a debate but saying "IT'S ILLEGAL. End of story" is either a grossly ignorant statement to make or intentionally misleading.

Furthermore, the author of the article is a High School student who submitted said article to the Merc. She is not a journalist and should not be expected to have the extensive time and resources to write the article that journalists usually do. She obviously listed the three Anime clubs which not only had close proximity to her own but also had easy access for quotes. It was quite obviously not a comprehensive list (Hells. It didn't include No-name, which I would say is much more of a no-no.), seeing as it listed three or four (ambiguously) High School Anime clubs in a region which is known to bring in a significantly large portion of U.S. Anime sales. I can't count the number of orginazations and clubs that were 'missed' on both hands and feet.

Still further, one can almost postulate from YOUR critique of the article that you haven't seen much, if any, of the four shows which you list! You stereotype them in the same breath that you criticize the authoress of the article for stereotyping Anime.

This article is not the be-all and end-all of Anime knowledge, No. You need to keep in mind before you fling critique though that if you're going to criticize the author for her sources you'd better damn well be able to come up with better ones instead of turning right back, criticizing her on baseless points, and stereotyping every source which she provided unless you have direct, personal knowledge that your stereotypes or true. The same goes for your dubious legal knowledge. Don't flaunt it unless you have it.

I'm not saying you're evil or anything but you are wrong.
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.