How To Sew/Cosplay Panel

Started by Haruka, February 19, 2003, 05:55:20 PM

hakudoushi

i cant!
:D

me: er...i made this by...er...sewing it. yes. thats it. >_>;;;;;; and i made the arrows by...er...sticking clay on them. and the bow by...er...something....and the ...the...umm.... umm...

o_O;;;
no really, i have a pet ninja.

hellangel

lol don't worry, i can explain ^^"
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

hakudoushi

Leloi

Sorry to bump this up...

Was it decided what to cover?

May I suggest there be a basic basics panel too?  So you can cover straight stitch (handstitch)?  A lot of cosplayers walk around held together with duct tape, glue and safety pins because they don't even know a simple straight stitch.  And how many times do you hear, "I want to make a costume but I can't sew"?
Plushie Maker

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Leloi's echo""I want to make a costume but I can't sew"...

Quote from: "Leloi's echo""I want to make a costume but I can't sew"......

Quote from: "Leloi's echo""I want to make a costume but I can't sew".........

I feel the pain. Oh, God, it hurts!

Does it cover how to make your own patterns/rip from other patterns/whatnot?
epic progressive

vox

hellangel

this is a LOT to cover ^^"

how about i go through step-by-step how i made one of my outfits, or how i *would* make an outfit, then take questions?

so far people want:

basic sewing
sewing machine basics
creating patterns
editting patterns
reading patterns
armor
weapons
fabrics- which to use?
general cosplay (uh...what does this mean?)
details/embellishments
acessorizing
figuring out what goes underneathe

like someone said, there should be three separate panels:

costume construction
armor
props

i don't feel like i'm qualified to head an armor panel since this is my first year experimenting with that sort of thing. props, maybe...still, i feel most confident with the costume construction bit.

i feel that there shoudnt really be a basic sewing/sewing machine panel (sorry). you can go take a sewing class for that, or feel free to ask me directly at-con ^__^ i don't bite, unless the character i'm cosplaying bites people. and i dont think i have any of those planned for this year ^^"

does anyone want to collaborate with me? (help would be appreciated!)
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

dude, i can help. i shall be the little example person who doesnt know anything. because i DONT know anything. T_T;

Spiritsnare

That's why we're actually interested in this panel in the first place, right? XDD

edit: depends on what kind of help you need. I probably can help.
epic progressive

vox

Leloi

I would be more than happy to help you.  I've been costuming for 13 years... and fabric stores own my soul.

I'm not very good at props or armor, but I can help with these topics:
basic sewing
sewing machine basics
creating patterns
editing patterns
reading patterns
fabrics- which to use?
details/embellishments
figuring out what goes underneath
accessories

As long as the panel isn't during Der Cosplay practice or rehearsal... I'll be free.
Plushie Maker

hellangel

goody, that's probably all we can cover anyway! ^____^ i don't think we should focus on basic sewing stuff...sewing classes are for that. i think more on the costume analysis (figuring out what's under, how the costume is worn, etc) and pattern making should be focused on more...

i have no idea really how to teach people to make patterns...
Upcoming events:

Leloi

Quote from: "hellangel"goody, that's probably all we can cover anyway! ^____^ i don't think we should focus on basic sewing stuff...sewing classes are for that. i think more on the costume analysis (figuring out what's under, how the costume is worn, etc) and pattern making should be focused on more...

i have no idea really how to teach people to make patterns...

Measurements... lots and lots of measurements.  That's how I make kimono.  ^^v  Also finding similar existing  patterns and modifying them...

I like the idea of "what's under" and "how to wear" because a lot of people focus on the outside and ignore what's underneath.

Layer cheating is ok if the costume is already bulky (ie, a 7 layer kimono).  But a lot of layer cheating just seems to come from lack of research.  I suppose giving them clues on how to research the costume would be good.
Plushie Maker

hellangel

yeah, measurements, but i don't know how to explain how to put that on paper in connect-the-section pieces....sometimes i don't even make a pattern i just go, eh, that looks right, cut and sew

i can explain modifying patterns, though

YES RESEARCH i do a LOT of research before i even consider what type of fabric to use...even research on HOW to wear/put on the outfit, everything little detail gives clues on how it's made *nod nod*

good, good. so how do we want to run this? do you like the idea i had before, with the two or three sample costume analysis, one easy and one hard?
Upcoming events:

Leloi

Quote from: "hellangel"good, good. so how do we want to run this? do you like the idea i had before, with the two or three sample costume analysis, one easy and one hard?

Lucky for us, things like kimono are usually straight seams... they are so easy to make with just measurements.  Although I should bring my "Make your own Japanese clothes" book.  Actually there are several books I could bring.  Most of my resource books are historical... Medieval, Viking, general "clothing through history", folkwear, Japanese... if we want to pick something along that vein we could pretend to use one of the books as a "resource."

I do like the idea of two or three sample costume analysis.  I suppose we'll need something to draw a mock up pattern on.  

Hmm... one we could use a book as source... another we could use a modified pattern....
Plushie Maker

hellangel

ehh, sorry you guys, looks like this isnt happening this year! (at least, i can't host it) i've been sick and got too much on my hands! sorry!
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

hey can anyone answer the following question for me: WHY ISNT THE CONVENTION SCHEDULE UP ON THE WEBSITE YET?!

hellangel

Upcoming events:

BunofGovt

Evidently the schedule was posted after your post.  I'm sorry the sewing panel didn't make it this year, hopefully next year!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

PcBY

i will support and go to this panel. 'Nuff said.

shinigami_babe

i'd go to this panel as well, i'm always looking for new tips to help improve my cosplayings skills ^_~

jingko

if you need help i can. i'm not the best in the owrld but i do sew my own costumes, and they last for a while.  but i think that for a begining pannal that it should be keep simple. if you start going into to much, you could over while a person and then you'll have to either unconfussed them or sacre them off. it's like talking about ainme, little does it at a time. , sorry if i damped any thoughts. it just my opinon.  :oops:
where the Death Scythes kept?
see me at DA as well. ><