How To Sew/Cosplay Panel

Started by Haruka, February 19, 2003, 05:55:20 PM

hellangel

wellll.

i'm glad there's still so much enthusiasm! =D
unfortunately, i won't be able to take charge of such an event this year (shakes fist at SATs and AP tests). if someone wants to take the wheel, though, i'll be happy to be a tag-along helper.
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

jingko

well, I don't have SAT or ACT, but I wouldn't mind helping out either.
where the Death Scythes kept?
see me at DA as well. ><

Captaine Kit

Someone, please raise their hand and be the staffers to run these panels.  I would love you for the rest of my life, and your beatuful name would be a part of my headstone!

These panels are very closely related to the fashion/cosplay part our Fanime community.  The open staff positions will be posted on Fanime's website very soon.  However, if you think you have the commitment and the idea pool to materialize all these wonderful suggestions that float here on the bb, we shouldl work out some staffing options right away.
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

dealerJason

Damn!  I want these Panels!  Let me know who wants to do it!  I would love to support it!

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
The "New" Programming Director.
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

hellangel

Okay! Even though our club disbanded this year, my former Cosplay officers are willing to take the challenge.

So: How would you all like it to be run?

Jason did ask me if we could do three separate panels: beginning, intermediate, and advanced.
I was thinking of doing more specific stuff, since some people can sew but aren't sure where to start, and vice-versa, etc, etc...

List me the courses you'd like to take! I have in mind so far:

Costume analysis (equivilent to "Beginning" - where to start on your cosplay)
Costume design (probably more helpful for those people who want to make original outfits, or stuff like Gothic Lolita; maybe combine this with costume analysis?)
Basic sewing essentials (definately beginners- basic sewing stuff, might want to get tables for this, though)
Props and accessories: the tiny details (beading, jewelry, the little things that make an outfit complete)

I'd rather stay away from weaponry and wigs, though, since that can get pretty complicated in terms of supply transport and such ^^"
Upcoming events:

Captaine Kit

Quote from: "hellangel"Jason did ask me if we could do three separate panels: beginning, intermediate, and advanced.
I was thinking of doing more specific stuff, since some people can sew but aren't sure where to start, and vice-versa, etc, etc...

List me the courses you'd like to take! I have in mind so far:

Costume analysis (equivilent to "Beginning" - where to start on your cosplay)
Costume design (probably more helpful for those people who want to make original outfits, or stuff like Gothic Lolita; maybe combine this with costume analysis?)
Basic sewing essentials (definately beginners- basic sewing stuff, might want to get tables for this, though)
Props and accessories: the tiny details (beading, jewelry, the little things that make an outfit complete)

I'd rather stay away from weaponry and wigs, though, since that can get pretty complicated in terms of supply transport and such ^^"

Hey, sounds like each of these can be accommodated to one room with a scheduled lineup of tutorials.  Would you rather do this as a 'panel' where the demonstrators speak in front of a panel audience?  Would you rather do this in small groups so that a) everyone who wants to learn can bring something to work on and b) everyone can help each other and get the attention of those running the panel?

Yes, weaponry and wigs could/should be reserved for something else.  I personally think weaponry requires a shop and shop machines if people want to work their best.

hellangel

I was thinking of working in a sort of workshop/tutorial-esque way. Whatever that means to me...^^"

I kind of imagined everyone having a little something...It really depends on what we're working on, I guess. For Costume Analysis, we can project an image of a character and have everyone, er, analyze it that way. For Basic Sewing, I want everyone to make something simple and small, like a mini tote bag. (Between myself and the other two cosplayers I'm working with, we've probably go enough fabric to cover the panel.)

I like the idea of having one room scheduled for Cosplay Tutorials. I just don't want to stay there all con, though! How about we have different cosplayers teach each? My staff will just cover tutorial lineup, supplies, etc...

Anyone willing to volunteer their skills? Please post a list of stuff you'd be willing to teach!

For everyone else who is interested in using these panels to learn- post what you'd like to know!
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

no really, i have a pet ninja.

hellangel

Quote from: "hakudoushi"umm, how to make wings. xDD

Feather wing, right? I can do that, but it'll have to be a visual demonstration. It's too messy to have everyone make their own little pair of wings ^^" (feather fluff gets EVERYWHERE O_o")
Upcoming events:

Captaine Kit

Sounds like a topic which different designers/crafters can interpret differently.  I imagine that different options and techniques can be laid out in categories of difficulty rather than in categories of 'wings', 'belts', etc.  You gotta admit, even though wings are a different kind of cosplay adornment from jacket and pants, there are similar construction principles and difficulty levels that span costuming in general.

hellangel

Quote from: "Captaine Kit"

Sounds like a topic which different designers/crafters can interpret differently.  I imagine that different options and techniques can be laid out in categories of difficulty rather than in categories of 'wings', 'belts', etc.  You gotta admit, even though wings are a different kind of cosplay adornment from jacket and pants, there are similar construction principles and difficulty levels that span costuming in general.

...right. but if we are going to just have a "cosplay tutorial room", we might as well have all these little things in the line-up. and if someone figures out a different way to make something- hey, all the more power to ya! =D it's hard to catagorize by difficulty levels because one person may be a great prop maker but not so hot at sewing, or vice versa. everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and some people just want to learn something new.

eh, I dunno what I'm talking about @___@ What panels/tutorials do you suggest, then?
Upcoming events:

Captaine Kit

Thanks for the ideas!  Sharing craft knowledge is our main goal here, right?  So if 'wing construction tutorial' helps to spread that knowledge better than 'difficulty level tutorial', then I'll go with your idea.

The thing is, I'm not for the teaching of feather wing construction specifically, even though that's the most used in cosplay (and in second, batty demon wings).  You know how there's different materials, structures and issues of which is the best method for a certain situation?  I would rather get everyone to learn about different materials and methods to make the body of the wings.  @anyone: You decide on the structure of your wings, then I'll give you the feathers to finish off the surface.

It seems we are headed in the direction of teacher-led, group activities so that everyone can make the same kind of thing--anyone remember Home Ec?

And now for the most time sensitive issue to be addressed:  Who is committed to running the panel?  How would you outline its schedule?  What materials, people and equipment do you need?  How much of that is fom you, and how much will be requested?

hellangel

well, my, er, "staff," I guess, is willing to run the overall layout of this. I've PMed Jason asking about what he thinks about the "Cosplay Tutorial Room" idea. If he likes it, we can start recruiting people, from cosplay forums/communities/cosplayers I've met at cons, etc. (internet is a beautiful thing)
Once we've got the line-up set, we'll request material needs from each of the tutors. Then we'll scrounge up stuff (between the three of us, we have enough fabric and whatnot to cover the entire con floor ^^"), and whatever we *do* need, we'll order in bulk. Besides, whatever isn't used up can be saved for the following year...or for our own concoctions =D

...I wonder if we can dip a bit into our Anime Club funds for this, if necessary >=D...

in a sense, my "staff" is basically the facilitors and managers of the event. we might not even teach, though we could.
Upcoming events:

grove

Quote from: "hellangel"

...I wonder if we can dip a bit into our Anime Club funds for this, if necessary >=D...

Nope. Sorry. XDD Won't fly by Amy.
The chicka with the kick.

hellangel

pleeeeeeeeeeeeease????????

oh- staff got back to me. they're organizing stuff and will give us details of whatever in a month...
Upcoming events:

KillingYouGuy

You have my vote. I don't know what I'll do when my costume making friend leaves me. I need to develop the skills to cosplay on my own terms. power to the PEOPLE! *ahack*
I am great! :D

Gwydion

If someone could help me figure out how to make a jacket, I'd be pretty grateful. The patterns just don't make any sense to me. ^^

hellangel

Quote from: "Gwydion"If someone could help me figure out how to make a jacket, I'd be pretty grateful. The patterns just don't make any sense to me. ^^

Patterns have instructions included. If you haven't used patterns much, reading them is helpful to get started =D There's a lot of new techniques you can learn from those things, surprisingly!

(Although ready-made patterns tend to confuse me, too, but that's because I usually make my own patterns, which I design differently than commercially-made patterns ^^")

-----

Word back from staff is that I don't have a room to run continuous tutorials in (apparently my Cosplay Room idea was forgotten -__-"), but I *might* be able to run a few panels here and there.

So! I need to consolidate Cosplay into those one-or-two panels. Be specific now and tell me what you want so we can get going~
Upcoming events:

AnnoyedWabbit

so is this panel/workshop/thingy actually going to happen? Because i'd be happy to help.
I've only started cosplaying in the last year, but i have 7+ years of traditional sewing experience, so i could do anything involving basic sewing, costume construction, interpreting commercial patterns, etc.
I'd also LOVE it if people did a "fabric theory" portion of the workshop- basics of choosing the right fabric and everything (do not use unstretchy satin for the swimsuit, just because it's pretty, or fabric with no drape for the flowing dress) because that's one of my pet peeves...>___<
I also have a lot of traditional sewing resources that people might not know about- discount/bulk fabric stores, why historical pattern places are gold for cosplay....
Cosplay Fanime 2009:
Alcia Melchiott and Welkin Gunther (Valkyria Chronicles)
Can I actually finish this without a)failing out of my senior year and b)killing myself? Only time will tell.

hellangel

Quote from: "AnnoyedWabbit"so is this panel/workshop/thingy actually going to happen? Because i'd be happy to help.
I've only started cosplaying in the last year, but i have 7+ years of traditional sewing experience, so i could do anything involving basic sewing, costume construction, interpreting commercial patterns, etc.
I'd also LOVE it if people did a "fabric theory" portion of the workshop- basics of choosing the right fabric and everything (do not use unstretchy satin for the swimsuit, just because it's pretty, or fabric with no drape for the flowing dress) because that's one of my pet peeves...>___<
I also have a lot of traditional sewing resources that people might not know about- discount/bulk fabric stores, why historical pattern places are gold for cosplay....

awesome!

that's a lot to jump off of...I'm still kind of uncertain about how to consolidate everything into one/two panels.
HEY! what if we have a Q&A panel for cosplay? there can be several of us cosplayers, and people can just ask us questions. that would give a more general overview of cosplay, wouldn't it?

and if you're still concerned about "learning," I've been thinking of setting up some sort of Cosplay Boot camp over the summer, when there'd be a few weeks of ongoing cosplay tutorials (and craziness). If I set this up and made it work, would anyone here like to come? it's been something I've been thinking of doing for a while =]
Upcoming events: