How To Sew/Cosplay Panel

Started by Haruka, February 19, 2003, 05:55:20 PM

hellangel

hm...the Cosplay Club at my school is essentially what you guys are suggesting- the basic how-tos of cosplaying. while many in the club are experienced, we've still got to teach the fundamentals to the less cosplay-experienced. as the year progresses, we teach more and more advanced stuff

i'm not sure if i can cover what we teach in a year in just one panel, but i'll discuss it with the President and see if we can do this.......

of course, that'll mean more paperwork and event organisation for me (VP) ^^"
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

hellangel

good news- i've talked with the cosplay committee president, and she gave the okay for holding a panel

sOo....before we ask fanime for a spot, we're going to decide what to put on it. we were thinking of having separate panels for different cosplay levels- it'll be lecture-y, but we'll have some small hands-on tasks...

anyway, here's your chance to say what you want to learn! don't be shy- ask for anything, from basic hand-sewing to weaponry!
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

you guys HAVE a cosplay club!??!

what i would give to go to your school...
- -

umm, ...

how about swords?
like the Zanbato, Tetsusaiga, and banryuu.

those kinds of weirdly large swords.
no really, i have a pet ninja.

hellangel

oookay. weapons. or woodwork.

anything else? was there someone out there who wants to learn basic hand sewing or something?
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

*raises hand*

im sure a lot of other people do to ^^

BunofGovt

Sorry for reactivating this thread, but I just joined this forum.  I'd be interested in attending a cosplay panel.  I've helped my sister and nephew with costumes for sci-fi conventions and Yaoi-Con last year, and the biggest problem we had was in first identifying the details that went in to a particular costume (is that scarf sewn on or just attached with a pin or just hanging there!).  THEN we had to get a pattern, or adjust an existing pattern.  Can the discussion include tips on drafting/initial sketches. (ooo, maybe we could get a practice piece of paper and pencil with a model to pose for us) Details/embellishments.  Accessories.  I know this is important to some:  what about what one wears underneath?  How authentic and detailed does cosplay get?  That sort of stuff.  If you think this is rambling, sorry!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

hellangel

hey, no problem! i was actually wondering if anyone was still interested since i'm considering heading this panel...

anyway, i'm not sure how to go about making a panel out of what you suggested. perhaps have everyone analyze a few characters.
that might actually work- if we can manage to get an overhead projector, an image can be projected and attendents can discuss how best construct it. so the panel would be like the following:

1. show image(s) of one character, take a moment to analyze it
2. discussion of the elements of the outfit- how many layers of clothing? what types of clothing? what is underneath? what are the accessories? (basically deconstruct the outfit)
3. pick an element and discuss how best to construct it- what materials are needed? (discuss how different materials pertain to different types of characters)
4. questions

i would probably show at least 3 characters of differing levels of complexity. we can discuss clothing, accessories, and weaponry. how does that sound? i can provide paper and pencils for the attendents if you guys want to take notes. in the end, we can have a "general questions" session.

drafting patterns and such is kind of hard to explain, especially to a large number of people. that would be more of a one-on-one thing, and i *could* attempt to teach you if you asked me in person at the con. altering patterns, however, can be an element of discussion at the panel.

as for authenticity and detail, it really depends on the cosplayer. cosplayers range anywhere from "just dressed for the fun" to "obsessively dressed." for me, i'm more on the "obsessively dressed" side ^^" honostly, if i knew what kind of underwear a character wore, i would make it and wear it ^^;; of course, there are certain restrictions set to protect the safety (and sanity) of others, so no real weaponry and no nudity are the two rules that always apply. basically, you decide how authentic you want to make your outfit. the best thing to do is to at least make yourself recognisable.

i hoped that help, and it would  be great if i got more feedback on this panel! i haven't contacted fanime about scheduling it yet because i don't know what you guys really want to do and it would be pointless to take up space if there's no interest. please comment, thanks!
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

O____O

whenever i talk to you, a mental image of a needle pops up. youre so cosplay oriented XD

what three characters were you thinking?

hellangel

doesnt matter. just a easy one (simple clothing), medium one (average clothing w/accessories), and a hard one (difficult/special clothing- like armor- and weapons/large props)
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

...fruits basket uniform, eternal sailor moon, and... BANKOTSU! O_O

BunofGovt

Sorry if this gets double-posted, I keep getting logged out.

heh heh.  Pretear: Himeno gets a different outfit every time she 'prets' with one of the knights.  No, just kidding.  Do you suppose a basic school uniform for one? (Azumanga Daioh, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ranma, etc.).  Unless that's toooo basic.

hellangel

first off: you guys do like the schedule i had in mind then?
second: what day would you guys like to have the panel? also, how long? i'm thinking at the very least, 1.5 hours. should probably get a 2 hour slot, though

please answer those questions and pitch in suggestions of your own!

also: if anyone has any characters they'd like to see (preferabley characters you want to cosplay as in the future because this might be more helpful to you that way), feel free to post their names and what anime/manga/game they're from.
Upcoming events:

hellangel

first off: you guys do like the schedule i had in mind then?
second: what day would you guys like to have the panel? also, how long? i'm thinking at the very least, 1.5 hours. should probably get a 2 hour slot, though

please answer those questions and pitch in suggestions of your own!

also: if anyone has any characters they'd like to see (preferabley characters you want to cosplay as in the future because this might be more helpful to you that way), feel free to post their names and what anime/manga/game they're from.
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

that was a two-post.

hmm...try something like...chinese cultural, martial art gi's, ancient japan, schoolgirl fuku? basic stuff like that.

2 hours, with willing volunteers.

i just noticed how funny it would be if a cosplayer was attending. nyahaha.

hellangel

Quote from: "hakudoushi"that was a two-post.
poo. *kills wireless internet. no wait, that's not good*

Quote from: "hakudoushi"hmm...try something like...chinese cultural, martial art gi's, ancient japan, schoolgirl fuku? basic stuff like that.

2 hours, with willing volunteers.
volunteers? for what?

Quote from: "hakudoushi"i just noticed how funny it would be if a cosplayer was attending. nyahaha.
it would be fine for cosplayers to attend. i mean, not everyone knows how to make weapons/armor or sew ruffled shirts, etc. not funny at all- i would probably attend such a panel if someone else was hosting ^__^
Upcoming events:

hakudoushi

i dunno what volunteers are for...maybe for trying things? like i dont know... umm... i dunno O_o

i thought it would be funny if someone dressed up in some j-rock costume with all the feathers and stuff like that and took notes...because theyre usually pretty good at cosplay. O_O;

BunofGovt

Uh, how do I get this to show as a quote from your message?  Anyway,
if you couldn't get the projector, a large poster would probably do just as well.  As to scheduling, not knowing when other events are scheduled, I'm guessing maybe sometime on Saturday would be okay?  Maybe early in the day?

1. show image(s) of one character, take a moment to analyze it
2. discussion of the elements of the outfit- how many layers of clothing? what types of clothing? what is underneath? what are the accessories? (basically deconstruct the outfit)
3. pick an element and discuss how best to construct it- what materials are needed? (discuss how different materials pertain to different types of characters)
4. questions

i would probably show at least 3 characters of differing levels of complexity. we can discuss clothing, accessories, and weaponry. how does that sound? i can provide paper and pencils for the attendents if you guys want to take notes. in the end, we can have a "general questions" session.
[/b][/quote]

hellangel

yeah, i was thinking of a large poster, too.

to quote something, go to the entry you want to quote. on the right upper corner there is a button that says "quote." just click that ^__^
Upcoming events:

BunofGovt

Thanks for the info on quotes.  Hm, how about if a cosplayer was on the panel?  Or at least available to describe (in 10 minutes or less) how they made their outfit.  ???

2 hours would probably be fine.  Hm.

hellangel

well...you kinda have to be a cosplayer to lead the panel. *points to self* okay, i can explain how i made my outfit(s) and then get on with the rest of the program. yes, that could work.
Upcoming events: