Energy Drink "Bar" at Fanime

Started by serajwl, January 16, 2006, 10:01:19 AM

Ruby

Quote from: "Blues"I've always thought this would be such a cool idea for a con to have:

Set a room aside like to be some sort of tavern or such and THEME it.  make it like a JAZZ cafe or something, and have people dress up like they're straight out of Cowboy Bebop, or make it look like some sort of sea-side pub ala One Piece.  It might me a bit of work, but I think it'd totally be worth it.

Perhaps combine it with the Karaoke room so people can perform and such as they kick back and have a drink?

xD Omg! That would kick ass. :3
Chance of going to Fanimecon 2015: 50%! ;_;

KillingYouGuy

Quote from: "Blues"I've always thought this would be such a cool idea for a con to have:

Set a room aside like to be some sort of tavern or such and THEME it.  make it like a JAZZ cafe or something, and have people dress up like they're straight out of Cowboy Bebop, or make it look like some sort of sea-side pub ala One Piece.  It might me a bit of work, but I think it'd totally be worth it.

Perhaps combine it with the Karaoke room so people can perform and such as they kick back and have a drink?

YES. TIMES TWENTY.
I am great! :D

Lisu

Ok, I never really looked here because when I read bar...I thought, you know...an edible rectangle...yea...
Anyways, great idea. Even I would love to help in anyway possible. Of course late at night people would need energy fixes, but would it also be open during the day? Sort of like a cafe of sorts? But that might be too much work...
Themes sound very good.

sykoeent

astroboy

Quote from: "MPLe"...
The San Jose convention center wouldn't allow us to do this for free.
That's the first thing that came to my mind. I guess a lot of the newbies don't know that practically EVERYTHING costs money, in a hotel/convention center.

rental fees for: chairs, tables, stantions, easels
surcharge for: electricity, water
permit fees: if you wnat to sell anything

once you come up with the realization that a hotel/CC will charge you for practically anything and everything - it gets pretty hard to come up with  new ideas unfortunately.

Lisu

Quote from: "sykoeent"Yeah... here is something like a cafe inside of Comiket.

http://akibaangels.com/articles/01_2006/images/comiket69/comiket67_3_e.php
I found this one while looking at the site:
http://www.akibaangels.com/articles/09_2005/maid_cafe_j.php
Ryu...this one for you...

Back on task...yea, there really is no away around noticing that something like this would cost money....and quite a bit depending on elaborations.
I don't suppose that the figure of how many people would go there during the con to and actually purchase something competes with the actual cost of setting it up in the first place now does it?

sykoeent

Quote from: "astroboy"
That's the first thing that came to my mind. I guess a lot of the newbies don't know that practically EVERYTHING costs money, in a hotel/convention center....
- it gets pretty hard to come up with  new ideas unfortunately.

I already thought of the money and man power needed to make this happen. I was thinking maybe you get a sponsor like Red Bull or Bawls to promote or sell their product but collaborate with the staff to make a cool cafe/bar setting.

Another thought is, Fanime is in the top 10 biggest anime conventions in North America. With its largest competition a couple months after, I think that coming up with new ideas is essential for the growth of this show. New ideas, like this bar, would seperate it from the other shows like AX or Otakon attracting more attendees and more investors. As cliche as it sounds, Fanime needs to think outside of the box to achieve more. In California, the top 2 turnouts for anime are #2 Anime Expo in Anaheim (30,000) and #1 (which isn't even an anime convention) The San Diego Comic-Con (95,000). The "bar" would be a large "wow" factor if done right and compliments your 24 hour video rooms. Comic-Con has a Starbucks in their convention center and Starbucks has a booth in the dealer's hall. The booth passes out samples giving just enough to the passer by to go out to the Starbucks and purchase the drink. How smart is this? That Starbucks was busy from before dealer hall opening till after it closed. Nonstop. Starbucks was happy, the Con was happy and the attendees were happy. Try to get this to work.

astroboy

Quote from: "sykoeent"...
I think that coming up with new ideas is essential for the growth of this show. New ideas, like this bar, would seperate it from the other shows like AX or Otakon attracting more attendees and more investors. As cliche as it sounds, Fanime needs to think outside of the box to achieve more.
When I said it gets hard to come up with new ideas --- I'm NOT discouraging anyone from doing so. In fact I think you're more optimistic then I am.

I believe the day will come when anime cons in general will experience a contraction in attendance numbers. What's the old saying, "Everything eventually will fall." When that day comes new and fresh ideas will be needed not to grow but just to keep from sinking!

Anyways on a more positive note, I think the biggest obstacle will be the hotel/CC restrictions, that and also somebody to organize this thing.

Ideas get implemented not when someone says:
"I have an idea."
but instead when someone steps forward and says:
"I want to organize this thing."  8)

M

Quote from: "sykoeent"I already thought of the money and man power needed to make this happen. I was thinking maybe you get a sponsor like Red Bull or Bawls to promote or sell their product but collaborate with the staff to make a cool cafe/bar setting.

Another thought is, Fanime is in the top 10 biggest anime conventions in North America. With its largest competition a couple months after, I think that coming up with new ideas is essential for the growth of this show. New ideas, like this bar, would seperate it from the other shows like AX or Otakon attracting more attendees and more investors. As cliche as it sounds, Fanime needs to think outside of the box to achieve more. In California, the top 2 turnouts for anime are #2 Anime Expo in Anaheim (30,000) and #1 (which isn't even an anime convention) The San Diego Comic-Con (95,000). The "bar" would be a large "wow" factor if done right and compliments your 24 hour video rooms. Comic-Con has a Starbucks in their convention center and Starbucks has a booth in the dealer's hall. The booth passes out samples giving just enough to the passer by to go out to the Starbucks and purchase the drink. How smart is this? That Starbucks was busy from before dealer hall opening till after it closed. Nonstop. Starbucks was happy, the Con was happy and the attendees were happy. Try to get this to work.
We are thinking outside of the box, and eventually will have some sort of energy drink station/bar/deal/etc./etc. just not this year (unfortunately, I believe it's too late to start talks with SJCC, but I might be wrong). Fanime is the Fan's con (as cliche as that sounds) and all ideas are listened to. If there's a reason why we can't follow up or make that idea happen one year, that doesn't mean that we can't do it the next year. ;)

Afterall, I'm sure that we would want to move up and not down. =P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

serajwl

Well, I am Happy to see that this idea isnt completely dissed and that it's grown into something even more than what I had intended.

I do agree, it is a little bit too late for organizing this thing this year, but I am happy with the idea that it's a possibility for next year. (I smell a senior project!)

I would love to be involved with organizing it. I have organized school functions and things of the sort in my earlier years of high school and late middle school, and I think that we (yes, we) could do this.

Another year would give us just enough time for everything we need to do including the mistakes that are bound to happen.

Hmm... I dont know what else to say

Blues

Quote from: "astroboy"
That's the first thing that came to my mind. I guess a lot of the newbies don't know that practically EVERYTHING costs money, in a hotel/convention center.

rental fees for: chairs, tables, stantions, easels
surcharge for: electricity, water
permit fees: if you wnat to sell anything

once you come up with the realization that a hotel/CC will charge you for practically anything and everything - it gets pretty hard to come up with  new ideas unfortunately.

Hence why I suggested combining it with another room; it'd take less space and it'd be cheaper.  You don't need to rent tables and chairs twice for the same room.

Though I will admit that the decorations might get a bit expensive.

"Do a flip!"

sykoeent

Quote from: "serajwl"Well, I am Happy to see that this idea isnt completely dissed and that it's grown into something even more than what I had intended.

I do agree, it is a little bit too late for organizing this thing this year, but I am happy with the idea that it's a possibility for next year. (I smell a senior project!)

I would love to be involved with organizing it. I have organized school functions and things of the sort in my earlier years of high school and late middle school, and I think that we (yes, we) could do this.

Another year would give us just enough time for everything we need to do including the mistakes that are bound to happen.

Hmm... I dont know what else to say

Cool, cool! If you need help on the designing side and props and stuff, I can help!

kam_islash

Get some XS, its quite powerrful.
I want to express this undying passion with my entire body tonight.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Hmmmm.....What about Sobe? I LOVE their energy drink "No Fear"!! I've never heard of Bawls though.....I haven't seen it sold anywhere around the Bay Area, I don't think ^^;

Eri

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"I've never heard of Bawls though.....I haven't seen it sold anywhere around the Bay Area, I don't think ^^;

It's hard to find.. I haven't found a place that sells it in the bay yet.. It sucks cuz it's about the only energy drink I'll ever really drink >.>

Keep on the look out for a root beer bottle that's blue (sometimes white for their sugar free one.. ew...) with white lettering. If you find it, let me know.. Need to know where to get that stuff when I'm in the bay ^_^
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

serajwl

Quote from: "Eri"
Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"I've never heard of Bawls though.....I haven't seen it sold anywhere around the Bay Area, I don't think ^^;

It's hard to find.. I haven't found a place that sells it in the bay yet.. It sucks cuz it's about the only energy drink I'll ever really drink >.>

Keep on the look out for a root beer bottle that's blue (sometimes white for their sugar free one.. ew...) with white lettering. If you find it, let me know.. Need to know where to get that stuff when I'm in the bay ^_^

they sell that stuff a lot around here. If you guys want I can go pick some up and send you some.

if it's one thing that my town is good for, it's finding energy drinks that are hard to find.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Eri"

My first (and only) bottle of Bawls was from a ... Savemart in San Jose. In the Evergreen area, to be exact. Damn expensive for a little bottle like that but it was gooood.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Spiritsnare

Just out of curiosity and out of context, Kris, do you live in that area?

Eri, some 7-11s stock Bawls. The one near my school does, which is a total lifesaver.
epic progressive

vox

creme

CompUSA around here sells the drink. Specifically, the one in downtown San Francisco on Market, and the one in South San Francisco across the street from Tanforan. I've never had it, but those are two CompUSAs I've seen it at . That would be my best guess of where to get it.

The whole bar idea sounds need but too far out there, unfortunately. :(

Eri

o_O compusa!? Hm.. on my way home to the bay too...

It's easy to find bawls up in davis, but I guess that's just because it's a college town ^^;;
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008