Energy Drink "Bar" at Fanime

Started by serajwl, January 16, 2006, 10:01:19 AM

Spiritsnare

^ I actually wouldn't be surprised if alternative drinks were sold alongside their respective mainstays (eg Bawls Guaranexx, Vault Zero, etc.)
epic progressive

vox

G.I.R

Quote from: "Otakuya"I'd like my energy drinks sugar free.

Well, there's always that new "Tab Energy" drink, that neither looks, tastes, or smells like Tab.

Blues

And Tab is really only for people that like cancer.

"Do a flip!"

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Blues"And Tab is really only for people that like cancer.

And those who don't even have a clue about wtf Tab is. (ie. all I know is that it's just a drink XD)
epic progressive

vox

Captaine Kit

Why does Fanime have to provide that?  Can the person with that humanitarian suggestion just get a table at Artist Row and give it out, or sell it without looking for a profit?  I am so down with providing refreshments at my own lounge.  However, there are tons of things that can replace the common 'energy drink'.
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

Lisu

Not re-reading the previous posts...but was the biggest issue time or legal ness?
If time, then I'd think now is a good time for those who were really interested and wanted to do it for the next year.
My outlook with what could be in a different topic would be not so much as a bar, but a cafe.  Very anime-esque related subject and easily applicable to the con (maid cafe...hmm).  
Bar, cafe, energy drinks, just drinks...all I want to see is if anyone is up to anything.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Quote from: "Lisu"Not re-reading the previous posts...but was the biggest issue time or legal ness?
If time, then I'd think now is a good time for those who were really interested and wanted to do it for the next year.
My outlook with what could be in a different topic would be not so much as a bar, but a cafe.  Very anime-esque related subject and easily applicable to the con (maid cafe...hmm).  
Bar, cafe, energy drinks, just drinks...all I want to see is if anyone is up to anything.

Timing actually I think. If this is an idea thats still serious, now would be a good time to propose it or push for it again. I, for one, wouldn't mind acquiring some energy drinks ^^;;
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Umi.Ryuuzaki"Timing actually I think. If this is an idea thats still serious, now would be a good time to propose it or push for it again. I, for one, wouldn't mind acquiring some energy drinks ^^;;

Especially from [insert fetish here]. XD

Well, then, we have 51 more weeks to go! Let's start planning before it's too late! :D
epic progressive

vox

slifertheskydragon

oh gawd.

everyone'll be wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

until 3 in the morning.

>.O;;

Ayanami Rei First Child

I'll have you know that I don't need to be pumped up on sugar and/or caffinee to act crazy and/or stay up until 3am :twisted:

Asa_Gohan

Yeah...Like how i stayed up 3 days straight and i think on the last day of con i fell asleep next to the DDR machine XD not on purpose though >.>

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Emerge

im pretty sure we're all gonna be paying 3 dollars for a bottle of vault again this year

asuka245

What they Should do is have is venting machine's with rockstar,monster,redbull,jolt,etc so attendee's and staff can get the fix for the once's that need it

Please charge normal  price cause they already are abit expensive already...if u know what i mean :P
Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

wasabi_sandwich

Personally after going to AX the prices at Fanime seemed reasonable. XD;; This Idea is pretty good, as long as they don't adopt the AX pricing of $5.25 for a Rockstar, it can be a real hit. One thing does bother me tough, I'm scared of narutards on Pocky now they'll have Rockstar and Bawls too. *gulp* Secure yourselves. ^^;;
"Luck and skill are closley related, but I'd rather be lucky than skillful any day." :)

Shot at 2007-07-05

djz3r0

After reading everyone's ideas about a bar, I have a few suggestions.

I actually have a degree in Restaurant Management, so I'd be more than happy to help or even lead anyone who would like to formulate this bar. Or 'bar' as you want to call it.

Otaku Bar

Not sure if this one will run over so well with the higher ups, but let's face it... 70% of con attendees are legal adults. Revenue from the bar will go to a) paying the loan to obtain supplies and b) next year's con budget. I have a degree in restaurant management and understand the ins and outs of bar operations (including licensing, etc). It will be a limited bar, as it would cost way too much to provide a full bar with a short list of available cocktails designed specifically with Otaku in mind. This will provide a) income for the con, b) prevent attendees from going out into downtown San Jose and getting drunk there.
   ex. Ramune Romantica (Hypnotic and Melon Ramune), Hime-sama (Vodka and Peach), Sakura Drops (Soju, Calpis and Grenadine).
  Some classic drinks will be available (Margaritas, Jack and Coke, Tokyo Teas).
    I'm sure some of you are saying, "How would you regulate the bar? How do you make sure that underage attendees aren't drinking?"
   1. Drinks will NOT leave the designated bar area.
   2. EVERYONE will be carded, regardless of age.
   3. A stamp or wristband will be given to those who are of legal age, color will change daily. (if wristbands are given, then they will be wrapped snug enough to not be removed and passed on to the person outside the area.)
   4. Bar opens at 5pm, closes at 2am.
   5. ONLY con attendees will be allowed in the bar area.

Ideally, the bar would be placed out on the patio that sits at the end of the convention hall, on the Mariott end. We would have to obtain a Type 48 Liqour License (or I think there's a special license that allows a short time sale).
Other ideas to tack on to this is to design the bar into a theme. Cosplay is always popular.

This again, does not have to be an 'alcoholic' bar and instead, an energy drink bar or lounge. Yes, the Maid Cafe was a good idea. However, I noticed that the demand for seats was much higher than could be provided. There are tons of ways we can do this and if everyone is interested, let's produce a proposal for the staff heads to present at the next staff meeting.

asuka245

well it would be nice if monster or rockstar had a booth there at Fanime and sold drink from like 9am -9 pm the same night for the whole con and gave the staff free drinks would be nice.. they would be a great sponser to have!

Or

have a few vending machines that sold the drink but make them normal price! there already high enuff  :P
Been attending fanime since 99!
Been a fanime Staff since 2000-2007
Video programming--2000-2005
E-gaming--2006-2007
Fanime Con E-Gaming Head for 08,09

Ryumon Hozukimaru

I love the idea of a energy drink bar. It would make it sooooo much easier to get energy drinks at night and not have to walk around San Jose looking for a fix.
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Gin Rummy

crazyninjafox

omg id love an energy drink bar X__x
there should be a different variety of energy drinks... bawls, full throttle, rock star, red bull, red line ect...
it should be in the evening too. where there is the most people...

id love to see all those lilo otaku's spazzing more than usual x3

Braveheart

As a head member of the staff formerly known as Rovers The idea of an "Enrgy Drink Bar" frightens me. I Shudder at the thought of tousands of Otaku running around the con; each hopped up on 2 bawlz, 3 Red Bulls, and a Go girl... They would have to enforce a 3 drink/day limit or something maybe even make it 18 + only. Just to keep someone from drinking too much caffine and end up having heart palpitatiopns or arrhythmia. On the other hand I would love to be able to pop over to the drink bar and get my can of "Cocaine" entering my 12th consecutive hour on shift...
.\\ike

Rovers Department Head
Fanime Operations

*Proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

I support all cosplayers and their freedom to carry accurate props that conform to FanimeCon guidelines

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Braveheart on November 20, 2007, 05:12:36 PM
As a head member of the staff formerly known as Rovers The idea of an "Enrgy Drink Bar" frightens me. I Shudder at the thought of tousands of Otaku running around the con; each hopped up on 2 bawlz, 3 Red Bulls, and a Go girl... They would have to enforce a 3 drink/day limit or something maybe even make it 18 + only. Just to keep someone from drinking too much caffine and end up having heart palpitatiopns or arrhythmia. On the other hand I would love to be able to pop over to the drink bar and get my can of "Cocaine" entering my 12th consecutive hour on shift...
i think an "energy drink bar" already exists at fanime; i think it's called Starbucks, and it should be located near the Hilton side.

jokes aside, 'tis a very good idea, but not a feasible one at that. You're serving drinks in a sense that your performing a type of foodservice, and this would probably nip the bud of the SJCC in turn.

BUT.....i fail to see a problem with someone just deciding to walking the halls at night, towing a small little cooler behind him with various types of energy drinks and such......winkwink.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.