Video Game Fan Translation Panel?

Started by zalas, February 11, 2006, 09:34:29 PM

zalas

I was trying to find the panel submission form on the webpage but was having trouble locating it.  I'm not sure whether this should be sent directly to [email protected] or here, so I decided to post here.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having a panel on the brief history, techniques and methods of fan translation of (Japanese) video games?  I was thinking of something like the following:

1. A Brief History of Fan Translations
 a. Gameplay FAQs
 b. ROM Translation Patches
 c. Visual Novels
2. Overview of Processes Involved
 a. Script extraction and insertion
 b. Translation
 c. Editing
 d. Graphics Work
3. Step-by-step demo of a sample translation project
4. Q&A

As far as I know, I'm the only person presenting and this will basically be a presentation with the aid of a laptop.

Absolute0

This seems very interesting. I myself have played many games through the aid of fan translations (Fire Emblem 6, for example :D ). This would also be a good way to get the word out about the people who put so much time and effort into their work. It would be good to give them some credit.

Yukari Kaiba

this sounds really interesting - id go to a panel on fan translated games (ive been wanting to play KH Final Mix but thats in japanese and id get totally lost ><)
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

CrackPr0n

To be realistic, this panel is only promoting illegal piracy, so I don't think it's so much of a good idea. Because outside of PC games, you'd have to directly apply a patch to the game files, which consists of downloading the game and using an emulator to play said piece of software.

With PC games, it's etchy since again, it's only promoting piracy(because I know most people don't even know where to buy most of the games that come out). So outside of doujin-games, there's really no way to legally do this.

Though if you know something I don't, to where it is legal, I'd like to hear it.