Why do they change when it goes from manga to anime?

Started by Darryl Mendoza, February 13, 2006, 03:25:57 PM

Darryl Mendoza

I just want to know why they keep changing things around when they make a good manga into an anime. They always make the animes suck and it is always or mostly rated pretty low compared to the manga. They change the story, make it shorter, add useless stuff and delete things that were important to the main story line and then they have the nerve to delete and take out all the good parts you wanted to see in the anime from the manga!!1one!!!11!!!eleven111!!! Goog GOD to the GODs of jelly, that makes me angry! Does anyone of you know why they do this?
Extra Fresh League
MvC2: Team Matrix, Team Santhrax
Guilty Gear Accent Core- Slayer, Bridget
Street Figther 3rd Strike- Makoto, Dudley, Akuma

Tsubasa

This phenomenon can be for a number of reasons.  Perhaps the anime staff wants to spice things up and introduce some new things.  Maybe the network or sponsors would rather change some parts of the story, so it'll potentially get better ratings or be less offensive.  Occasionally, the source material cannot be followed closely because it'd just be inappropriate for the show's time slot.  Sometimes, the anime catches up to the manga continuity, so, in that case, filler must be introduced to stall for more manga chapters to be serialized.  Many times, the story must be modified to fit neatly into a particular number of episodes.  I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Keep in mind that many anime series don't even set out to faithfully reproduce its manga source.  Sometimes this produces undesirable results, but other times, I think it actually makes for a very fun anime experience.  Most people can toss out at least a few unfavorable manga->anime adaptations and I'm no exception, but, on the converse, I actually prefer some anime versions over the original manga source.  I think series such as Rayearth, Angelic Layer, Nadesico, and Initial D, just to name a few, actually benefitted in the anime adaptation.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Kazuko

its kinda like the whole dealie about books into movies if you think about it, not all of it is going to be 100 percent accurate from the manga. usually its due to bugets, time constraints and stuff that things are usually cut out or changed. sometimes it also  depends on the content.

G.I.R

Let's face it.  What's the last thing you saw that was adapted from one source, and made into another that remained faithful?  Lord of the Rings comes to mind, and even then some elements were left out from the books (that especially goes for the Ralph Bakshi animated version).
It seems like the trend is to license out characters, or even just titles, or concepts than to use the original material as a whole.  I bet anyone can come up with several examples of this, whether it's a film, T.V. show, comic, or game adaptation.

Sunara Ishi

In fact, be glad of little differences. It might be nice to have an anime mimic the manga for awhile but sometimes when you know the details of the manga, the anime can become tedious.

I agree with Tsubasa, Kazuko and peoples... Its normally because of content,  adaption problems, etc etc.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Cloudzero

Quote from: "Kazuko"its kinda like the whole dealie about books into movies if you think about it, not all of it is going to be 100 percent accurate from the manga. usually its due to bugets, time constraints and stuff that things are usually cut out or changed. sometimes it also  depends on the content.

I agree. It's it like translating books to movies. If you check out The Bourne Identity (or any of the rest of the Bourne series), for example, you'll see a lot of differences.

Darryl Mendoza

Thanks. Well, I can understand that but... still, it makes some series just suck. Like Love Hina for example, they could still have done a better job with the anime. I hated how they did all that messing around with. And the same with The Negima series. Many people could agree with that.
Extra Fresh League
MvC2: Team Matrix, Team Santhrax
Guilty Gear Accent Core- Slayer, Bridget
Street Figther 3rd Strike- Makoto, Dudley, Akuma

Cloudzero

Quote from: "Darryl Mendoza"Thanks. Well, I can understand that but... still, it makes some series just suck. Like Love Hina for example, they could still have done a better job with the anime. I hated how they did all that messing around with. And the same with The Negima series. Many people could agree with that.

Negima, I agree with 100%. They really dropped the ball on that.