cheap hotel?

Started by swordman85, February 20, 2006, 10:56:17 PM

swordman85

Hey everybody,

A couple friends and I are going to go to this con and we're all broke college students.  I was wondering if there is any hotels near the convention center that are fairly reasonable...again I state, we're poor.

Thanks

~~Loktera~~

The one thing you have to state is, just how poor are you? How much can you afford to spend on a room... How many people can you scrape together to fit into one room?
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

swordman85

Well I can probably get four people (maybe) and I would like the cost to be below $100

Thanks

~~Loktera~~

Try rooming around with some other people on these here boards, if you can't manage to get more people.

A small tip from someone who knows; Bribe them with food.

swordman85

But you can only get so many people in a room though.  I mean I don't think they list more than like six people.

FanFicGuru

You can still stay at either the hilton or the marriott. Here, do the math:

One night in a room: 99 bucks. Add tax, maybe it's about 115

115/4 people= ~ 29 dollars a night.
Stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Total comes to 87 dollars a head for three nights.

You can do it. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

ip136

Quote from: "FanFicGuru"You can still stay at either the hilton or the marriott. Here, do the math:

One night in a room: 99 bucks. Add tax, maybe it's about 115

115/4 people= ~ 29 dollars a night.
Stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Total comes to 87 dollars a head for three nights.

You can do it. ^_^

You've gotta be careful with that too.. Isn't the 99/night for only 1 ~ 2 people for the room? They'd have to be sneaking in 2 people and the hotel will only offer 2 card keys because the max that you're saying is only 2...

TWO BEDDED Available May 24-29
$99.00 Single - 1 Person
$99.00 Double - 2 Persons
$109.00 Triple - 3 Persons
$119.00 Quad - 4 Persons

Though.. personally I do understand the raise in fees per person but I still find it a little pointless. >.<; It's like charging someone less for a handmade costume because you used 'less' fabric on the dress or something.
The best way to cut down on the cost is to find some people to room with, but be wary of people that sneak additional friends in to cut down on the cost. Hotels get pretty mad about it when people do it.
Sorry.. my random 2 cents there.
Clicky my Art Pwease?

britedarkness

I don't think the Marriott does price changes like that...

FanFicGuru

Ok, 120 a night. Still that's only 30 a head for three nights. 90 total. Even with taxes it'll end up around 100 for three nights. They could all just do two nights too.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

britedarkness

There's really also nothing wrong with having more than 4 people in the room.  Just be quiet and don't attract attention.  I've asked for more than 4 keys before... even when I've only had 3 people in a room.  Sometimes you just want to leave an extra key in the room in case you lose yours.  Note: I'm not actually suggesting overfilling a room.  I'm just presenting it as an option.  Don't blame me if you get caught or you can't figure out the sleeping arrangements.

swordman85

First of all it won't let me reserve anything more than 4 people.  Second We're planning on going all four days.  So this does complicate things some.

britedarkness

What I was saying is that you could reserve for four and sneak more sleepers in.  Also, if you stay for four days, you really don't need to get a room for more than three.  Since the last day is generally a shorter, crappier day, you will likely end up leaving right after.  In any case, you can leave your bags at the bell stand at a hotel.  The three days would be Friday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday, and Sunday-Monday.  And since you're college students, you don't want to get four days because you'll either pay for a day you won't fully use, or you'll miss a whole day of class.

Eri

Quote from: "britedarkness"....The three days would be Friday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday, and Sunday-Monday.  And since you're college students, you don't want to get four days because you'll either pay for a day you won't fully use, or you'll miss a whole day of class.

There are some things going on thursday (I think, there was last year) for pre-reg'ed people. So keep that in mind when you're choosing days..

And the miss the whole day thing, if you come friday morning, eh, oh well.. (if you have class on friday, that is), unless by some miracle you also have friday off.. If you do, then ucd sucks because we only get monday off so those of us who get here early miss more class then we'd care to... >.>
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

britedarkness

Ah yeah... I forgot about Thursday.  Maybe it's just because I could just drive an hour and half there and then an hour and a half back if I wanted to.  I enjoy driving as long as it isn't four separate days in a row for that length.

swordman85

Well its just so happens fanime falls on my break between spring semester and summer semester so I'll have all 4 days off

~~Loktera~~

More stuff from previous experience.

People can sleep anywhere in the room.
1) The spaces between the two beds.
2) The spaces between the wall and the beds.
3) The feet of the bed.
4) The closet.
5) The bathtub (Alot comfier than it sounds)
6) You can easily fit 3 people per bed if necessary...

Tuplica

The closet would probably be pretty cool, if you could get something to put under you (like a spare blanket).  After all, you'll have your own space and won't be getting walked over every two minutes like everyone else...
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "Tuplica"The closet would probably be pretty cool, if you could get something to put under you (like a spare blanket).  After all, you'll have your own space and won't be getting walked over every two minutes like everyone else...
That's where I stayed for the last night at last years convention. It's kinda nice, and as an added bonus, if you and someone are able to sleep on your sides, then you can easily fit 2 people in there. ^^

swordman85

Sounds good.  I'm gonna try to wrangle up 6 people if possible.  Any tips on not getting found out?  Would it be best to get two double beds I suppose?  If we were to get there on the first day of the convention and checked out on the last day we could save on an entire day right?

Thanks

britedarkness

Tip 1: Shut up.  No parties.
(insert more common sense here)
For a four day convention, you generally only stay for 3 hotel days.  It is assumed that you'll just leave your bags at the hotel for a few hours before check-in.