Masquerade Online Registration *CLOSED*

Started by angeljibrille, March 31, 2006, 09:48:24 PM

angeljibrille

Masquerade Online Registration CLOSED ON 5/20/06!

You can always try registering at the convention, see our at-con schedule here, even if online Masquerade Registration is closed.

Nina Star 9

is it okay to post a question in this thread? :/ i actually have two.

1. where do we turn in the craftsmanship form? i cannot find instructions on that.
2. it says that fur will disqualify you, but whay about feathers? i have a rather feathery headpiece on my costume, so will that disqualify me, or is it just fur and not all animal products?

thank you. ^-^

angeljibrille

Hi there!

1. You turn in your Craftsmanship Form to the judges on the day you are judged at con. Craftsmanship judging will be done on Friday & Saturday at the con, you need to come in and register at the Masquerade Desk at-Con and sign up for an appointment to be judged.

If you are going to have massive bodypaint or some other special circumstance, you can sign up in advance for one of our Sunday Morning appointments -- the Sunday appointments can only be made in advance (i.e. pre-Con).

2. Fur is the only thing prohibited. It's because I do bunny rescue. I don't want dead bunnies in the Masquerade ^_^;;

Fur looks better on bunnies :)

Nina Star 9

okay, that will be fine. ^-^ thank you.

however, i have a couple more questions. leave it to me to be easily confused. XD
1. what is the lighting like? i would like to know in case i woudl like to put in a special lighting request. basically i would like to know if there will be spotlighting avalible. i have never been to the masquerade before, so i wouldn't know this kind of thing. ^-^;;
2. the form to register has a music requests box. i know that i will require music that i will provide. do i need to specify what it is and that i will provide it, or do i need to just leave it blank if i am providing my own music? or is it to request where the music be cut off?

thank you. ^-^;

hellangel

I have a question about this bit:

"Each contestant may present (wear) one and only one costume, or a group of people may wear one costume at the same time (i.e., a large costume that requires several people inside to move it). Multiple entries worn by the same person, or one entry worn by multiple people at different times, will not be allowed. No exceptions."

Does that mean that someone can't be in more than one group, even if the two groups are comprised of completely different people?

Thanks ^___^
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"1. what is the lighting like? i would like to know in case i woudl like to put in a special lighting request.

The only thing I know we are going to have for sure is fade in and fade out. We can't have too many lighting changes because it gets very complicated for the light guys. You can also have the stage be dark before you go on.

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"2. the form to register has a music requests box. i know that i will require music that i will provide. do i need to specify what it is and that i will provide it, or do i need to just leave it blank if i am providing my own music? or is it to request where the music be cut off?

Just bring your CD or music file (MP3, WAV) to the Masquerade Desk when you check in. We have a dedicated music tech who will take the CD from you, copy the music, and give you back the CD. He can also help you fade the music at the spot you want it faded (if you don't have those tools yourself) and we will also have a large selection of music CDs to chose from in case you want to pick from our music. The music notes section in the database is really more for at-con when we are modifying the database when you check in, so feel free to leave it blank for now.

:)
Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: "hellangel"Does that mean that someone can't be in more than one group, even if the two groups are comprised of completely different people?

Yes, we are only allowing people to be in one group, and wearing one costume. It's just too complicated having people be in other people's skits and unfair to those who can only do one entry. So, one person, one costume, one skit.

Marisa

sharsachan

out of curiousity, if you know, does the question

"Are the fabric/material edges "finished" or left raw and cut? (this shows time and patience, if you make sure of the quality and details)."

refer to if the edges are completely untouched, if they are hemmed, or if they are sergered?

one of the girls in my group worded it as "'no hemming on the end of a shirt so there's thread dangling' raw or 'Seams not professionally serged on the underside where no one can really see' raw?"

can you clarify?
Founder of the Desert Chikins

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "sharsachan"out of curiousity, if you know, does the question

"Are the fabric/material edges "finished" or left raw and cut? (this shows time and patience, if you make sure of the quality and details)."

refer to if the edges are completely untouched, if they are hemmed, or if they are sergered?

one of the girls in my group worded it as "'no hemming on the end of a shirt so there's thread dangling' raw or 'Seams not professionally serged on the underside where no one can really see' raw?"

can you clarify?
heh, sorry, another question i forgot about. XD

on my costume, there is a lot of tulle and netting and chiffon and other things that show and are not hemmed on the original (it is a j-rock costume), so would i get penalized for having unhemmed tulle that is not hemmed in the original?

also, if the original has serged edges and i have no access to a serger (i am doing this all by hand...), is it okay if i improvised? (like, wire-edged ribbon that is crinkled for a stretched and serged ribbon effect, and hand-sewn stitching instead of serging, etc.)

heh. another one. xD sorry. on the sample questions for craftsmanship page, it has paired with handsewing what kind of hand-sewing was used. well, what if i do not know? will i get penalized if i tell them that since i taught myself how to sew i honestly have no idea what the fancy anmes are?

and one last one. sorry about all of these. XD how dark does the stage get when the lights are turned off? i was thinking about having the lights faded off when i end my performance, would it be too dark to get off stage, or will there be a lighted exit sign somewhere? xD sorry if it sounds like a trvial thing, but i hve a hard time adjusting to darkness, so it is important for me.

thank you yet again!

sharsachan

hate to be a bother, but does "# How many conventions have you participated in Masquerade?" mean how many Fanime masquerades? or in general, how many convetions' competitions have we been in?

angeljibrille

can you clarify?

This is one I am going to have one of my former judges (from a previous convention) answer. I e-mailed him about it and expect he'll post in a day or two ^_^

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"on my costume, there is a lot of tulle and netting and chiffon and other things that show and are not hemmed on the original (it is a j-rock costume), so would i get penalized for having unhemmed tulle that is not hemmed in the original?

also, if the original has serged edges and i have no access to a serger (i am doing this all by hand...), is it okay if i improvised? (like, wire-edged ribbon that is crinkled for a stretched and serged ribbon effect, and hand-sewn stitching instead of serging, etc.)

heh. another one. xD sorry. on the sample questions for craftsmanship page, it has paired with handsewing what kind of hand-sewing was used. well, what if i do not know? will i get penalized if i tell them that since i taught myself how to sew i honestly have no idea what the fancy anmes are?

My former judge is going to pop in and answer these. I am ashamed to say I am not a cosplayer, so what you are writing above is greek to me ^^;  I always leave the judging up to the professionals, I just run the event ^_^... so I'll have someone who has been a judge at a couple of cons give you a perspective. I don't think you need to worry too much  :) I think the big thing they look for is if you really did this yourself, and can explain how you did it, and why you did it the way you did. We like to give the sample questions so you know what kind of things the judges will ask -- but they won't always ask all of those things :)

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"and one last one. sorry about all of these. XD how dark does the stage get when the lights are turned off? i was thinking about having the lights faded off when i end my performance, would it be too dark to get off stage, or will there be a lighted exit sign somewhere? xD sorry if it sounds like a trvial thing, but i hve a hard time adjusting to darkness, so it is important for me.

Hrm - -I haven't seen the Masq on this particular stage, the last one I went to was at the Santa Clara Convention center. I'm going to be touring the facility soon, so hopefully I will have an answe pre-con. If not, you can definitely get an answer when you check in at-con and you can make modifications as needed even at the convention.

Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: "sharsachan"hate to be a bother, but does "# How many conventions have you participated in Masquerade?" mean how many Fanime masquerades? or in general, how many convetions' competitions have we been in?

Usually they just are trying to figure out your level of exprerience. So, if you have toured the entire country and been to 27 different cons, you may have more experience than someone who is attending their first con. This isn't always true though, because we sometimes get "newbies" who are professional seamstresses even though this is their first anime con -- and people who have been to 27 cons wearing their Naruto headband and a t-shirt and shorts. This is why we don't like to "class" people; the judges will talk to you and ask you questions to determine your level of experience and based on that they will determine if you are a novice or advanced craftsmanship participant.

Thanks!
Marisa

darrylhw

Former Judge here :)

can you clarify?

The wording of the text may be a bit confusing.  The bottom line is how well is it made? Construction awards are given for how close the piece looks to the original design, and how much work did it take to get it there.  What is meant about the raw edges is generally you are not supposed to have raw edges on pieces of clothing.  This does not mean you need a surger.  You could do French or Hong Kong seams or even something as simple as pinking the edges might be appropriate.  The bottom line is your costume should no be unraveling either inside or out.  Many people solve this problem by lining their outfits.  This gives a very nice finished look and hides all those raw edges.

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"heh, sorry, another question i forgot about. XD

on my costume, there is a lot of tulle and netting and chiffon and other things that show and are not hemmed on the original (it is a j-rock costume), so would i get penalized for having unhemmed tulle that is not hemmed in the original?

Now here is an exception to the rule.  If the original design had some kind of torn look with raw edges, you should follow the design.  The unhemmed/hemmed argument is for mostly costume which do not have real world counterparts.  It is assumed that in anime, costumes are created in the same way clothing is made in the real world, so attention to detail is rewarded.

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"also, if the original has serged edges and i have no access to a serger (i am doing this all by hand...), is it okay if i improvised? (like, wire-edged ribbon that is crinkled for a stretched and serged ribbon effect, and hand-sewn stitching instead of serging, etc.)

That would be fine.  The judges understand the limitation on resources.  If you are creative, you can make pretty much any fabric costume on a simple sewing machine with just two stitches.  Just refer back to the first comment about making the costume look as professional both inside and out as possible.

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"heh. another one. xD sorry. on the sample questions for craftsmanship page, it has paired with handsewing what kind of hand-sewing was used. well, what if i do not know? will i get penalized if i tell them that since i taught myself how to sew i honestly have no idea what the fancy anmes are?

I myself am mostly self taught and do not know all the fancy names for the stitches and techniques used.  If a judge asks you about a particular hand stitch, simply describe how you stitched it like you would to a novice.  The hand sewing questions are generally used to quiz the costumer on whether or not they actually worked on their costume as opposed to trying to pass off somebody else's work.  For example...I once had a person try to pass off a purchased costume for their own work.  When I noticed that the invisible zipper in the back was hand sewn into the dress, I asked the cosplayer how long it took to put the zipper in.  She replied that she didn't remember about sewing the zipper in, nor could she tell me how (as in if she just used straight stitches).  This, along with other damning evidence, made the judges decide the costume was purchased rather than made from scratch as she said it was.  Other times judges are impressed with the hand sewing and just want to know more about it.  Judges have all hand sewn something before and know that it is a pain in the butt.  But honestly, if the job is clean and well made, the judges are going to be checking for two things, (1) how close is it to the original design presented and (2) how much of it did you really do yourself.  Just be honest and try to make the best costume you can.  Oh, and take the judges suggestions, critiques, and compliments to better your costume or the next one you do.  Remember, judges are generally fans first, judges second.

Darryl "Don't kill me because I was a judge" Hwang

angeljibrille

thanks for posting, Darryl :)

*hugs*
Marisa

sharsachan

Nina Star 9

okay, thank you!^-^

i registered! i am already scared! XD

EDIT: i found something you guys might want to change... ^-^;;
OPTIONAL: Edit your Masquerade Registration
Add members, change members, change your entire skit. This option closes on August 31, 2005!

on the registration menu. i hope that that date is not the real one. ^-^;;

LunaNeko

Marisa, I have a question, it says that you can't enter purchased costume, but what about some parts that were purchased for the costume? My costume has accessories like badge and pins that I bought from anime store, is that ok or I need to make those too???

angeljibrille

Quote from: "LunaNeko"Marisa, I have a question, it says that you can't enter purchased costume, but what about some parts that were purchased for the costume? My costume has accessories like badge and pins that I bought from anime store, is that ok or I need to make those too???

Purchased parts are fine :)

For example, if you make your entire Kakashi costume from Naruto, but use a purchased Naruto headband -- that's fine. Now, obviously, someone who went out and forged their own headband and scratched out the konoha symbol with an engraving tool, etc., may have an advantage in Craftsmanship judging. However, for a general Masquerade entry it is not a problem -- and even for Craftsmanship, the judges wouldn't be offended if you had a purchased headband if your costume was otherwise creative and you look accurate.

This is why we have the "found" item allowance in the rules.

We aren't expecting someone dressed as Luffy from One Piece to sew a pair of jeans, for example, you can buy them. If you want points for Craftsmanship (which is not required, it's optional) your focus would probably be on how you spent a lot of time cutting the jeans and getting the frayed edges to look "just right".

What we DON'T want is:
1. I purchased my costume off eBay that someone else made
2. I purchased my costume in Japan at this great costume shop
3. I had this costume made for me by (mom/friend/seamstress)* (there is an exception)

Going into Target to get all the items for your Luffy costume is acceptable, because you showed the skills to put together the outfit.  However, you wouldn't really be able to participate in Craftsmanship Judging with a costume all bought at Target -- the point of Craftsmanship is that you built/sewed most (or all) of the costume yourself. You can compete for a Peformance Prize though with a costume put together with stuff you found at Target though. I hope that makes sense :)

* The exception is that we DO allow people to compete for the "Design" prize. That means that, perhaps, all the costumes for your entire group were made (or mostly made) by one person. You are just a "model" wearing the costume made by that person. We want people to be honest, and to not to try to pass something off that someone else made as his/her own work. So, we require that the person who made all the costumes be a person in your group. That person will need to bring his/her group to Crafsmanship judging and answer all the questions about the costumes. Then that person is eligible for a Design Award for the creation of the costumes for the group. The entire group can still win a prize for Performance but the creator of the costumes must be in the performance as well.  Only the person who actually made the costumes can win a Craftsmanship prize.

I hope that clarifies things :) Or confuses things. Sorry! :)
Marisa

LunaNeko

Quote from: "angeljibrille"

I hope that clarifies things :) Or confuses things. Sorry! :)
Marisa

No, not at all! Thanks, Marisa! Fanime masq would be my first time competing, so I am quite unsure about a lot of things, thanks for the reply, it helped!

Also, does Walk On require group name as well???