Masquerade Online Registration *CLOSED*

Started by angeljibrille, March 31, 2006, 09:48:24 PM

angeljibrille

Quote from: "LunaNeko"Also, does Walk On require group name as well???

Yes, you do need a group name just to register.

You can just call it something as a place holder for now and I usually suggest  the series you are doing or something easy to remember (such as  "Sailor Moon" or "DBZ").

If you don't really want a group name, we can just list you as "Character X from Series Y" at the actual event. We usually don't have this on the groups list though because people like to keep what their costume is as a suprise until the event.

A small piece of advice for walk-ons is that we DO require that you have some sort of music to play while you walk on. Plan on going to the middle of the stage, doing a couple of poses, and then walking off. That's the basic requirement for a walkon.

I must say that I STRONGLY suggest that you don't just do a simple walk-on -- it's honestly terrifying!! It's actually easier to have something, anything, planned to get you to focus on that action instead of on the audience looking at you. Some people do a quick dance step, or a few in-character poses, or even just something cute like running on stage, waving your hand at people, doing a quick spin to show off your costume, and then bouncing offstage. The music really helps set the mood and also gives you something to think about, so pick something you like and are comfortable with so you feel confident, or something that suits your character (like the Sephiroth song for a Sephiroth from Advent Children). This really lets you get into character and makes things easier.

Best of luck! You'll do great!

Marisa

LunaNeko

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Quote from: "LunaNeko"Also, does Walk On require group name as well???

I must say that I STRONGLY suggest that you don't just do a simple walk-on -- it's honestly terrifying!! It's actually easier to have something, anything, planned to get you to focus on that action instead of on the audience looking at you. Some people do a quick dance step, or a few in-character poses, or even just something cute like running on stage, waving your hand at people, doing a quick spin to show off your costume, and then bouncing offstage. The music really helps set the mood and also gives you something to think about, so pick something you like and are comfortable with so you feel confident, or something that suits your character (like the Sephiroth song for a Sephiroth from Advent Children). This really lets you get into character and makes things easier.

Best of luck! You'll do great!

Marisa

Thanks for all your help! You are so  sweet! I definately look forward to participating in the masq when you are in charge, I definately feel more confident and will sign up soon. *le gasp*
Walks on sure are terrifying but I think I came up with something that won't bore audience to death, lol.

Nina Star 9

any tips on good performances? i obviously cannot do a skit by myself in a j-rock costume, so would just singing a bit ofthe song be good? should i got for the full 3 minutes or just have it cut off as soon as i can (after the first chorus)? or will my singing bore the audience to death? :P (it not not a super exciting song, mind you... >>)

LunaNeko

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"any tips on good performances? i obviously cannot do a skit by myself in a j-rock costume, so would just singing a bit ofthe song be good? should i got for the full 3 minutes or just have it cut off as soon as i can (after the first chorus)? or will my singing bore the audience to death? :P (it not not a super exciting song, mind you... >>)

Man, you are in the same situation as me, basically one person performance that has to be somehow entertaining.

I wouldn't sing, cause its more terrifying then anything else, see if you can find more people to do a skit with you maybe, if you do go with singing- then I would suggest not doing full 3 minutes, just a thought.

Nina Star 9

eh, i am not terrified of singing. XD i am terrified of lots of things, but not singing. and getting a group is way out of the question- not only is it a pretty obscure costume, but there really is no other way to have a group from that particular PV that i can think of, unless i suddenly find a bunch of amano fans going to fanime that are willing to dress as the band, which is doubtful. >> so i am basically stuck as one person. :P i guess i will sing. hopefully i can sing well enough... >>

DayDreamerNessa

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"any tips on good performances? i obviously cannot do a skit by myself in a j-rock costume, so would just singing a bit ofthe song be good? should i got for the full 3 minutes or just have it cut off as soon as i can (after the first chorus)? or will my singing bore the audience to death? :P (it not not a super exciting song, mind you... >>)

A rule of thumb most people go by, is NOT to use the full 3 minutes, the audience loses interest easily, so you don't want to drag your act on.

I can't believe there's already 15 entries! I'm glad my group is registered XD
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

UsakoMinako

I know last year on the big stage that we had a rehersal so you could see where to go. When the lights go off its pretty dark but also back stage you can see where to go out.  There are also people on the wings and I doubt any cosplayer will let you go walking off the side of the stage ^_^
When you turn the lights off and go out onto the stage to set up, somehow, you are able to do it- There is some light from the sides behind the curtains, so I don't think anyone would be totally blind ^_^ eyes also adjust quickly for survival!

swordman85

I have a few questions. First of all can I participate in the Masq if a family member made the costume. If so I probably wouldn't be eligible for craftsmanship but would I still be eligible for performance?  Is it also fine if I use some bought items but have someone alter them?  Is it completly impossible to appear twice? I'm wanting to do one as a monologue and another as a pair.  Would it be possible for the lighting crew to have a blue light/spotlight availible? If not would it be ok if I had someone out in the audience with one?  Will this be recorded?  Thanks for your time and sorry for all the questions...I just want to make sure of a few things.

Thanks,
Swordman

angeljibrille

Quote from: "swordman85"I have a few questions. First of all can I participate in the Masq if a family member made the costume. If so I probably wouldn't be eligible for craftsmanship but would I still be eligible for performance?  Is it also fine if I use some bought items but have someone alter them?  Is it completly impossible to appear twice? I'm wanting to do one as a monologue and another as a pair.  Would it be possible for the lighting crew to have a blue light/spotlight availible? If not would it be ok if I had someone out in the audience with one?  Will this be recorded?  Thanks for your time and sorry for all the questions...I just want to make sure of a few things.

Thanks,
Swordman

If you are 14 or under, you are allowed to have a costume made by a family member. If you are over 14, you can do a performance -- no problem. Family is understandable, as we expect that you had input on what you wanted. We always say: be honest, that's all we ask. Stores or seamstresses or eBay is prohibited though.

swordman85

Thanks for the speedy reply but you didn't answer all my questions. Plus I have one more would it be possible to make a covering for the stage? And If so how big is the stage?

Thanks
Swordman

angeljibrille

Quote from: "swordman85"Is it also fine if I use some bought items but have someone alter them?

No. Can't you alter them yourself...? Part of the experience here is to learn to make the costumes yourself. If nothing on your costume is really done by you, just by your family or by someone else -- it's not allowed.

Quote from: "swordman85"Is it completly impossible to appear twice?

It's not allowed. One person, one costume, one time on stage.

Quote from: "swordman85"Would it be possible for the lighting crew to have a blue light/spotlight availible?

I doubt it; maybe, but probably not. I think the one spotlight we have will be centered on the emcee podium.

Quote from: "swordman85"If not would it be ok if I had someone out in the audience with one?

No, it's not OK. Sorry. There are union issues, we are not allowed to do anything like that in the theater, it all has to be done by the union staff members.

Quote from: "swordman85"Will this be recorded?

Yes.

cherryteagirl

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Max 8 people per group. If you have more than 8 people, please put in the notes on your group that "we are with XYZ group" and I will try to put your skits next to each other.

If there are more than 8 people in a group, is the "XYZ group" the group on exhibition, and not competing for awards/prizes?  

:?

luckinspades

My query:  The costumes in my group are not from a TRUE Japanese Animation series.  The series is American-made (I am pretty sure), but it is drawn in an anime-type style, and it takes its influences from asian culture.  (Our entry is conartist cosplay if you wanted to see what it was, Ms. Coordinator; I am trying to keep it secret here)  What I want to know is if we are still qualified to win something.  I ask this, because at Japan Town Anime Faire '05 (I think), we entered the contest and were disqualified without being informed because one of the characters we were portraying was not from Anime/Videogames/Japanese media.  So I just wanted to make sure that since our costumes were not true Japanese media characters, if we still have a chance.

Thanks!
Want to practice your photography?  I'd like some free photoshoots of my costumes @ Fanime.

sharsachan

i was just curious, since the date on the site is incorrect, how long we have to change our information for our group? like what if one of the members gets sick/cant go/we substitute someone else, can we change it at con if we need to?
Founder of the Desert Chikins

angeljibrille

Quote from: "cherryteagirl"If there are more than 8 people in a group, is the "XYZ group" the group on exhibition, and not competing for awards/prizes?  

:?

It depends. Please PM or e-mail me your skit plan, and I can make a determination based on that. If you think you might need over 8 people, you have to request it pre-con.

(this is to avoid the 200-person Naruto group showing up last-minute...)

angeljibrille

Quote from: "luckinspades"My query:  The costumes in my group are not from a TRUE Japanese Animation series.  The series is American-made (I am pretty sure), but it is drawn in an anime-type style, and it takes its influences from asian culture.  (Our entry is conartist cosplay if you wanted to see what it was, Ms. Coordinator; I am trying to keep it secret here)  What I want to know is if we are still qualified to win something.  I ask this, because at Japan Town Anime Faire '05 (I think), we entered the contest and were disqualified without being informed because one of the characters we were portraying was not from Anime/Videogames/Japanese media.  So I just wanted to make sure that since our costumes were not true Japanese media characters, if we still have a chance.

Thanks!

If you are the group that already says "Approved", then yes we determined that this particular series was acceptable. I am pretty sure this group was you. We determined it was in the "spirit" of what we are looking for (Asian-themed).

There is a different group that still is set to "Pending" (not sure which one you are). The "Pending" one is probably going to be denied because it's not even close to being asian-related -- it's a straight out American series with no Asian influence.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "sharsachan"i was just curious, since the date on the site is incorrect, how long we have to change our information for our group? like what if one of the members gets sick/cant go/we substitute someone else, can we change it at con if we need to?

You can only change it ONLINE up until May 20, then I need to close registration and pull over the database to my laptop and get it setup for Fanime.

However, you can come in on any of the registration days (Friday, Saturday) at the convention itself and add people, change people, change information, etc.

The only thing you can't do at-con is have over 8 people or special judging stuff (like having to be judged on Sunday) because we have only so much time and we have to prearrange seating and other considerations in advance.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "StrawberryNeko"are cut outs of a character allowed?

Yup! :)

swordman85

Well see I haven't had any experience in sewing yet but I will be trying to learn thats why I won't be able to do my own stuff. Although I've pretty much decided now to do a cosplay that really doesn't require much alteration to the clothing except maybe one or two little things. I'm actually doing this because someone said they'd be in it with me then dropped out so I had to change my idea...not cause I didn't want to alter clothing.  So If I do the tiny alterations on this costume would I be able to be qualified for both kinds of competition?  Also is the auditorium set up with the stage at the very bottom?  And if so how big is the stage floor and would I be able to cover it with a large paper design?

Thanks,
Swordman