Custom Sticks: anyone interested?

Started by alice, April 03, 2006, 09:03:35 PM

alice

I've recently introduced myself to the wonderful world of custom sticks and I was wondering if anyone going to fanime would be interested in buying one. They'll run at cheapest, 75, upwards 150, but keep in mind, they are hand made, and the parts inside are the most authentic kinds (same as what they use in arcades).

Just an idea as to what they look like, here are two I built in the last month. Of course, you can expect something better if you plan on buying one as I've gathered quite a bit of experience since.

and hopefully in two months, they'll look something like www.byrdo.org

Spiritsnare

I'd like to make several inquiries:

1. Which pushbutton manufacturer do you purchase your buttons from?

2. Do you support custom layouts?

3. Do you support custom designs?

4. What adapter is used to connect the joysticks to [X system]? (PS? XB? USB? Parallel?)
epic progressive

vox

Tsubasa

Dude, those are Japanese-likely Sanwa-parts.  Where did you get them?  I build sticks too, but I don't have a reliable source for Japanese parts.  I've been using HAPPs parts, which are fine if you want American, but I'm a JP stick man myself.  Thus, I play on my Horis most of the time.

If you're soliciting orders for these sticks, you should probably be ready to provide both Japanese and American layouts.  There are some pretty pronounced differences.  I know a lot of people who just don't like JP sticks.  I'm something of the opposite. XD;
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

G.I.R

Ohsu

Hm...if you can make boxes like the Korean sticks...I'd buy one.

Doesn't have to be a korean stick itself...since I'd like the box/shell more with the handle on top...
俺の名を言ってみろ!

deepbluevibes

Tsubasa

Actually, by following alice's link at top, I found Himura Games.  Readily orderable Sanwa parts.  I do believe I'm in heaven. XD

I've been considering buying a new Hori or PS2 Virtua Stick, but hell, I think I'll make a new JP stick myself now.

Quote from: deepbluevibes(removed per privacy policy)
I find that the soft spring is usually not the thing that throws people off so much because an increasing number of arcades are using soft springs in their HAPPs sticks.  Instead, a lot of American stick users I know just don't know how to handle the square range of movement.  They have a tendency to miss corners.
-Tsubasa

Sunara Ishi

If I had the money, maybe I'd ask for one.

Will you be selling them next year as well?

Cause, at some future time (when I have the money), I'd like to get one w/ an image of Miyu or Reiha from VPM.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

gmontem

Quote from: "Tsubasa"Actually, by following alice's link at top, I found Himura Games.  Readily orderable Sanwa parts.  I do believe I'm in heaven. XD
The Sanwa joystick looks interesting.  I wonder if I can easily replace the Happs Super Joystick with this without drilling new mounting holes.  Looking at the microswitch board, do they use Cherry microswitches?  Can the Sanwa be adjusted to become a 4-way stick?
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

Tsubasa

Quote from: "gmontem"The Sanwa joystick looks interesting.  I wonder if I can easily replace the Happs Super Joystick with this without drilling new mounting holes.  Looking at the microswitch board, do they use Cherry microswitches?  Can the Sanwa be adjusted to become a 4-way stick?
I have never had the chance to work with Sanwa parts, but, from the pictures, they do very much look like cherry microswitches.  Japanese sticks are well known for their audible clicking, much like really brand new cherry microswitches, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same or at least rather similar.

As for the mounting and 4-way, I cannot comment.
-Tsubasa

Shin Gouki

if thay sticks working on a computer I will get one  ^_^

Tsukai Mori

Will you be bringing these to the con? If so:
1) What systems do these joy sticks work on?
2) Is it possible to have a customized stick on preorder (as in I ask for so and so in a stick).
3) You are able to draw whatever on the stick, right?

fullmetalneko

I just built my console.  I used the Happ perfect 360's for my joysticks.  And went through Ultimarc for all my button needs and my control board.   Their buttons are a bit stiff but VERY responsive.  They also made hand made versions of the Japanese style  microswitch ball tops.  IMO are a bit better than the ones from japanese arcades since they tend to stand up to more abuse.  They also sell an xbox adapter for the custom sticks you buy.  The guy who makes all the stuff on there, Andy  is his name, is super cool and is fairly active in the custom Scene.  Id check out Ultimarc before just about anywhere else.  Though I am seriously debating on those buttons...  I do like the japanese style buttons.  Too bad they are damn pricy.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "gmontem"
Quote from: "Tsubasa"Actually, by following alice's link at top, I found Himura Games.  Readily orderable Sanwa parts.  I do believe I'm in heaven. XD
The Sanwa joystick looks interesting.  I wonder if I can easily replace the Happs Super Joystick with this without drilling new mounting holes.  Looking at the microswitch board, do they use Cherry microswitches?  Can the Sanwa be adjusted to become a 4-way stick?

Like I plugged before, check out the Ultimarc sticks.  They have one that you can switch without having to pull apart or open your board/box.
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

Tsubasa

Quote from: "fullmetalneko"I just built my console.  I used the Happ perfect 360's for my joysticks.  And went through Ultimarc for all my button needs and my control board.   Their buttons are a bit stiff but VERY responsive.  They also made hand made versions of the Japanese style  microswitch ball tops.  IMO are a bit better than the ones from japanese arcades since they tend to stand up to more abuse.  They also sell an xbox adapter for the custom sticks you buy.  The guy who makes all the stuff on there, Andy  is his name, is super cool and is fairly active in the custom Scene.  Id check out Ultimarc before just about anywhere else.  Though I am seriously debating on those buttons...  I do like the japanese style buttons.  Too bad they are damn pricy.
Interesting supplier.  Personally, I'm really used to HAPPs or Sanwa, so I'm going to make comparisons to those parts.

I don't know about you, but stiff buttons don't really sound that appealing.  I like JP buttons.  But if I want something that's just as good and gives a bit more tactile response, I'd go with the HAPPs competition buttons.

As for the sticks they sell there, I'm pretty sure no American stick will outdo the HAPPs competition stick in my book.  So that narrows my selection to their JP-esque sticks.  A big turnoff though is the supposedly high travel.  Sanwa sticks don't have much travel.  As for durability, if I'm making a stick for myself, then that's basically a non-issue.  I don't try to jerk the stick around crazily when I play. ^^;

Personally, Ultimarc doesn't seem like such a big draw away from what I'm already familiar with.
-Tsubasa

G.I.R

Here's a joystick to consider from Happ

http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/universal_joy.htm

It only requires one hole, and no bolts to mount.  It is also quite versatile as far as how thick a material you mount it in thanks to the PAL not that holds it in place.  The switches are on an easy to remove mounting as well.  The stick doesn't have a lot of throw, but they're quite responsive.

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "G.I.R"Here's a joystick to consider from Happ

http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/universal_joy.htm

It only requires one hole, and no bolts to mount.  It is also quite versatile as far as how thick a material you mount it in thanks to the PAL not that holds it in place.  The switches are on an easy to remove mounting as well.  The stick doesn't have a lot of throw, but they're quite responsive.

My crew has put together a total of 6 arcade machines in the last year or so.  Happ really only has 2 joysticks.   Their tournament stick and the 360's are about the only ones that don't wear out or have too much travel as tsubasa mentioned.  The guys on build your own arcade controls have kinda put all of happ's products through the ringer.  

And to Tsubasa, The main reason why I tend to really like Ultimarc is 1) their service is easily the best I have delt with.  Very quick to respond and if there are any problems Andy is very prompt with a replacement.  2) they are hand made and made to be durable.  Most of the sanwa sticks we have delt with, regardless of how much you think you aren't working on them.  If you play a few good games of guilty gear, you are workin it.  
The japanese base arcade parts are made to be cheap and easily replaceable.  For the price it usually costs to obtain japanese parts, I go with Ultimarc knowing that if there are any defects of if they need to be shopped, they will do it.  Plus the fact that the Ultimarc Sticks also have either top or bottom 4 way switching and not a lot of travel.

The stiff buttons are relative to my experience.  They feel closer to the tournament buttons you get from Happ.  But that is one thing that I would order from the place you plugged.  I love the sanwa buttons.  They again aren't terribly durable but just feel so sexy to the fingers lol.
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

alice

oh crap, I forgot I posted here!

First off, I sholud mention that I wont have enough sticks ready by fanime to sell, only my crappy ones, but if you want those than send me an email or something ([email protected]). In light of that however, if you live local. I can make one for you over the summer and you can come over and test it/pick up. I will definitly be selling them next year at fanime with my own fancy table with a damn socket :).

as for the questions:

I'll try my best to custom anything that I can. Layout and art are no brainers, so if you want american style then I can do it.

If you're interested in Sanwa parts, himura game does sell them but they are overpriced. I got my set from vgonetwork.com. Great prices for small orders, but takes forever to ship. for larger orders, you can try coinopexpress.com

I can make the sticks compatible for any system, though more obscure ones may be more pricy depending on how hard it is to get the PCB for it.

Korean style? pic please?

I can also put in there american style parts too if you want. Why you would want them I don't know... :P.

Oh if you want to try out what my sticks feel like, I'll actually have an art row with nothing on it cept a stick and a laptop. I'll happily let you try it.

Spiritsnare

To Alice:

Can the sticks be compatible with more than one system, similar to how DDR pads have more than one plug?

Can you give the dimensions of [some of?] your joystick boxes, or do they vary?

To everyone:

Do you prefer ball sticks or bat sticks?
epic progressive

vox

alice

I can make the sticks just about any size you want. THe sticks I've made so far are like 12x8-9 ish. I'm almost certain I can do sticks compatible for more than one system. THe only thing that could go wrong is one console shorting out the other when not in use. Not an expert in electronics, but this probably wont happen . It'll cost more though.  I'd reccomend a converter.

Balltop FTW.