Reasonably Priced Places to Eat near Fanime Con

Started by Tsuchimi Rin-chan, April 04, 2006, 02:52:14 PM

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Does anyone living in the San Jose Area know of any good and reasonably priced places to eat during Fanime Con.  Hotel food is serving arms and legs of atrocious prices and it would be nice if the con can put up a map of highly recommended places to eat in Downtown San Jose.  
QuoteTHAT IS NOT FAST FOOD OF COURSE
[/b]

I am from San Francisco and I was lost in finding a good place to eat back in 2004 when the con moved from Santa Clara and I missed out last years Fanime due to Cancer.

Anyway please post your recommendations and prices of food to us con goers on a traveling budget.  

Domo!!!!     :wink:

P.S. I wish Fanime would put up a map of Downtown San Jose with places to eat inside the program guide because it will help us starving and drooling otaku.
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

topnotch97

Lee's Sandwhiches.  :wink:

hey, does anyone know if University Chicken (downtown san jo) has opened?  :?
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

otakuya

UC is open, ate there for lunch today.

Around the convention center, down San Carlos Street or Paseo de San Antonio:
-McDonalds
-Jack in the Box
-Pizza My Heart
-University Chicken
-Ben & Jerry's
-Tengu Sushi
-Johnny Rockets
-Chinese Gourmet Express
-Starbucks
-Quiznos
-La Victoria
-Togos
-SJSU Student Union

More upscale and expensive resturants:
-Scott's Seafood
-McCormick & Schmick's
-The City Grill
-Zygo Asian
-House of Siam
-E&O Trading Company
-Gordon Biersch
-Farenheit
-P.F. Chang's

asianfilm

Don't forget all the places just a few blocks away. Sonoma Chicken Coop, The Old Spaghetti Factory, and Pizza Chicago are just a few.

I believe there should be some documentation this year on where to eat, but don't quote me on that. Believe me, there are tons. I would actually go and say one of the best things about the move to the SJCC is the abundance of food around the con site.
Brandon Tomyoy
Manager, Fanime Asian Film
Stage Zero Personality

deepbluevibes

Spiritsnare

I can't believe you guys didn't list Hydration. Their food is soooo awesome.

It's across the street from McD's.
epic progressive

vox

Eri

A map of the downtown area (with flags indicating not only where food is, but atm's and other such useful info) should either be in the program guide or as a separate sheet of paper you can pick up.
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

Chun

Quote from: "asianfilm"The Old Spaghetti Factory

Enough said.

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Mordyan

Peggy Sue's

They have awesome omelets!!! And great burgers. And there prices are very reasonable. I ate there alot. heh

pandacon

Yeah, the only place I really found was Peggy Sue's which is a couple blocks away from the Convention center. Though they close around 8 or something.
I learned everything I needed to know about life from Hentai.

ip136

Fwou~... there is always the Johnny Rockets. It is in walking distance from the con..
And there is this slightly nicer scale Italian place that is like.. in next block over from the convention.. can't remember the name though ;_;
Clicky my Art Pwease?

topnotch97

Hydration is like on the other side of the campus.  :?

but hey! Peanuts is also OK! off course, we'll expect more sjsu students there since it's the graduation week.  :wink:

Super Tacqueria is on 10th street but that's like way east of the con.

anything south of the convention? well there's wendy's down there.  :shock: fuuuuuuuuuu~~~~~~~
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

Eri

Quote from: "ip136"
And there is this slightly nicer scale Italian place that is like.. in next block over from the convention.. can't remember the name though ;_;

Original Joe's... That place is good :)
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

Sunara Ishi

You could always hop on the lightrail and get japanese food in japan town. you could technically walk but its quite a walk.
Quote from: "Otakuya"
-SJSU Student Union
for those that don't know what's in there:
Burger King
Sabarro
Jamba Juice
Subway
The school's market cafe and another cafe with other food places...
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

astroboy

mapquest display of convention center address 150 W San Carlos St (*red star*) with nearby restaurants
results = 150++
organized by distance
display 10 per page
It looks like the first 100 restaurants listed are within reasonable walking distance.

link

I have this theory that if you go (in the direction of the nearby college), the restaurants get cheaper.  :wink:

kam_islash

Quote from: "topnotch97"Lee's Sandwhiches.  :wink:

I second the vote!!!!
I love Lee's Sandwiches!
I want to express this undying passion with my entire body tonight.

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Thanks Fanime Con staff and everyone that responded to this thread.  This will help us alot so we will not end up like Starving Ryoga Hibiki's looking for food.  

:wink:
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "astroboy"
I have this theory that if you go (in the direction of the nearby college), the restaurants get cheaper.  :wink:
that's not really true. They don't get cheaper.

You have to realize you're looking at two different types of restaurants; fast food and traditional style restaurants. Of course the fast food will be cheaper and colleges are more likely to have a fast food restaurant. In fact I've never seen a college with the other. It'll be amusing to see. XD

Thanks for the link. ^.^

Oh, let's not forget Tapioca Express on the other side of State. And that pizza restaurant nearby there. (anyone remember the name?) I'm surprised that I haven't seen a round table pizza or well known pizza chain downtown...
And Peanuts. (near state)
But I doubt that people want to go too far for food.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "kam_islash"
Quote from: "topnotch97"Lee's Sandwhiches.  :wink:

I second the vote!!!!
I love Lee's Sandwiches!

Third the vote.

They're cheap and they give you big sandwiches that actually taste half-decent.
epic progressive

vox

Shi_Musouka

There's always a Quicklys somewhere in Downtown SJ on a path to the left of McDonalds. Not sure if it's cheap, but it's always good for anyone who's up for Pearl Milk Tea in various flavors.