Reasonably Priced Places to Eat near Fanime Con

Started by Tsuchimi Rin-chan, April 04, 2006, 02:52:14 PM

neko ewen

I ate at Tengu Sushi once. Warm sushi. :shock:
Quote from: "Otakuya"There's also a Denny's south on Market Street, but you'd need a car to get there. [I'd hate to say this, but that Denny's is near a certain famous Wendy's restaurant....]
Although I wouln't exactly advocate going there -- the chili is pretty unpalatable without any... additions -- it was in the news that that incident turned out to be a hoax; the woman responsible got nine years in prison for attempted grand larcency. (Link to news info).

That Denny's is very average for this area. If it's not too late, you can take the 66 or 68 buses and get deposited right across the street from it.

I'd have to double-check, but if I remember right Hydration is open until like 10pm or so.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

topnotch97

you know what, nobody mentioned anything about fastfood or restaurant west of san carlos. isn't there like a donut store somewhere? i dunno if that counts.
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

otakuya

There's nothing worth noting that's west of the freeway on San Carlos. There is that donut shop and mexican fast food, but I never ate there before.

There is, however, some good sports bars and breweries near the HP Pavilion, like Tied House. If the Sharks go all the way in the playoffs, expect a LOT of people in that area...actually, the entire downtown area from HP Pavilion to SJSU. San Pedro Square has their traditional hanging of the Sharks' jerseys and all restaruants have some kind of Sharks' special. (Sonoma Chicken Coop has a chocolate hockey puck dessert....)

Suspicious

We should make a map of all the fairly price friendly places to eat around the con (and places close to lightrail stations).  We could print it out and stuffs, so that way we'll have a good reference during the con.
»Jrock Con »LJ »MySpace »Website

FiliKlepto

Quote from: "topnotch97"Hydration is like on the other side of the campus.  :?

but hey! Peanuts is also OK! off course, we'll expect more sjsu students there since it's the graduation week.  :wink:

Super Tacqueria is on 10th street but that's like way east of the con.

anything south of the convention? well there's wendy's down there.  :shock: fuuuuuuuuuu~~~~~~~

WAH, I love Super Taq.  Yum, yum, yum.  Unfortunately, the one on 10th St is now closed for renovations and won't be open again until way after Fanime.  T_T
I want death to find me planting my cabbages.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"

Eri

Quote from: "Suspicious"We should make a map of all the fairly price friendly places to eat around the con (and places close to lightrail stations).  We could print it out and stuffs, so that way we'll have a good reference during the con.

There will be one in the program guide :)
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

YoureMyHiro

Odds are most people will be "Jackin' it" or doing it up at Pizza My Heart. I know I will.

Umi

the SJ Downtown Association has a list of pretty much all the places to eat downtown - http://www.sjdowntown.com/bus.html

The thing with SJ is that most of them are either fast food or super expensive sit-down places.

Some places I know from experience are pretty reasonable for a sit-down meal:

Gordon Birsch, $8-15 for lunch (pasta, pizza, burgers, sandwhiches, oh yah.. beer)
Johnny Rockets (burgers, fries, milkshakes, retro 50s diner)
Peggy Sue's (burgers fries, milkshakes, retro 50s eatery)
Le Boulanger $4-8 (sandwiches, soups, bakery)
Sonoma Chicken Coop, $7-13 (salads, rotisserie chicken, pasta, sandwiches)
Old Spaghetti Factory, $7-11 (Italian - pasta)
La Victoria (Mexican -burritos)
Iguana's (Mexican - burritos)
Tengu Sushi (Japanese - sushi, donburi, teriyaki)
Pizza Chicago (Italian - pizza)
Pizza My Heart (pizza)
House of Siam $8-14 per dish, but it's family style so you'll typically order 3 dishes for 2 people (Thai - fried rice, curry, prawn/beef/chicken/seafood dishes)
Dac Phuc (Vietnamese - pho, rice plates)

If you're in for a snack or some fast food
Cafe Boba (Bubble Tea)
Hydration (Bubble Tea)
Quiznos (Sandwiches)
Starbucks (Coffee)
Subway (Sandwiches)
Togo's (Sandwhiches)
Jack in the Box (fast food)
Ben & Jerry's (ice cream)

Stay away from:
McDonald's - They have really horrible and slow service, kinda defeats the purpose of fast food
P.F. Chang's, The City Grill, Eulipia, Agenda, restaraunts inside the nearby hotels - They're all pretty pricy not to say they aren't tasty
Original Joe's - I've been, it wasn't very good.

Suspicious

Know if any of those are open late for us midnight snackers?
»Jrock Con »LJ »MySpace »Website

Umi

Quote from: "Suspicious"Know if any of those are open late for us midnight snackers?

Gordon Biersch is open until midnight. Um... maybe Jack in the Box? LOL yeah the sucky thing about downtown SJ is that stuff closes down kinda early. I think most other places close at 9 or 10

soakrates`

Jack in the Box is open 24 hours and La Victoria (the awesome taqueria next door to JitB) is open until about 2 AM I believe. Also, the Pita Pit next to the San Antonio light rail station is open til 3 AM Thurs-Sat and Midnight every other night.

otakuya

There's also Kukar's House of Pizza, the pizza place that downtown SJ forgot. It's walking distance behind the convention center down Almaden Ave. (SJGP's pit road). There was an 05 staff meeting there one time, too. I don't know the hours of ops or the general prices for pizza. It looks like a sports bar so I guess it's midnight.

It's also the closest place to buy a Lotto ticket...^^,

Oneiros

Quote from: deepbluevibes(removed per privacy policy)
OMFG, Igauana's. 'Nuff said.

I have really bad memory of where it is from the CC, but it wasn't far, although somewhat hidden. I think maybe across the street from Pizza My Heart, Ben & Jerry's, etc.?, right next to the henna tatto shop and right under a comic book shop.

Anyways, not only do they serve an insane amount of food, but they serve an INSANE amount of food. Also, I think some late-night raver friends of mine went and got burritos from there at like 2 am, but I can't really verify that, so don't use me as a realiable source  :P

lyricaldanichan

Ugh Crack in the box is horrid, unless you like to get food poisoning :O

I actually went to The Tech cafe for some instant grat and the prices weren't too bad for what you get.  Oh yes there is a list online from the SJ Downtown Association for resturants:
http://www.sjdowntown.com/bus.html

Also there is a couple of grocery stores in walking distance.
http://www.sjdowntown.com/bus_sho.html#convenience

Zanotto's for quality grocery
38 S. Second St.     (408) 971-1333

Wallgreens for instant grat stuff such as food/drinks, personal items etc
5 S. First Street     (408) 283-0801

otakuya

Quote from: "Oneiros"I have really bad memory of where it is from the CC, but it wasn't far, although somewhat hidden. I think maybe across the street from Pizza My Heart, Ben & Jerry's, etc.?, right next to the henna tatto shop and right under a comic book shop.

Anyways, not only do they serve an insane amount of food, but they serve an INSANE amount of food. Also, I think some late-night raver friends of mine went and got burritos from there at like 2 am, but I can't really verify that, so don't use me as a realiable source  :P
You're probably talking about La Victoria. We mentioned about it in an earlier post, I think.

Around that same block are 2 other eating places with cheap food: China Chen is a typical noodle house, didn't eat there before but always drive by it. Dakao, a Vietnamese sandwich place that's not Lee's.

neko ewen

Quote from: "Oneiros"OMFG, Igauana's. 'Nuff said.
Unfortunately Iguana's is gone. Something about having issues with the building owner. In its place is "Macho Taco," which FWIW is decent. The comics shop (which is now called "Funny Monkey Comics") moved around the corner, downstairs from the tattoo place. The owner (Kevin) is a pretty cool guy BTW.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

Vanessa

Oh maaaaaaaan, I can't wait to go to Peggy Sue's. I totally forgot about that place until someone mentioned it! WOW. *_*

phoenixphire24

If La Victoria is the place that I'm thinking of, my friends and I ate there every day (not for every meal though). Not only is the food great, but super cheap. The breakfast burritos are like $2. Also there's an asian noodle place near the movie theatre (camera 12) on 2nd or 3rd street that has excellent food for a reasonable price. Good drinks too. I don't remember the name though.

daymare

here you go,

http://www.as.sjsu.edu/asts/pdfs/Busstopmapforfall2005.pdf

It's not a definite map of course, but it pretty much sets the walkable perimeter of where you'd want to go. (about from Almaden to 11th street, San Salvador to Santa Clara st.). It also shows quite a few restaurants.

For any vegan/vegentarians, there are 3 restaurants on Santa Clara St., respectively on 7th st (Good Karma), 9th (Tofu), and 12th (Vegetarian house).

If you want to explore, you can take take the light rail 4 stations north (actually 2, since San Fernando and St. James are under construction) to Japantown/Ayer. From there, head north and turn right at the first intersection (Jackson St.,) and walk a few blocks east. There are quite a lot of Japanese retaurants there.

http://www.japantownsanjose.org/

If you need some snack/drinks, you can go to 2nd st and santa clara. There's a supermarket called Zanotto, and a couple small convienient stores. If you want vietnamese stuff, go south to 2nd and San Salvador St.
Rawrrrr