The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - Awesome.

Started by Chun, April 10, 2006, 03:39:56 PM

Spiritsnare

Pulling quotes off of the sos_brigade thread:

touhi: Why Crispin Freeman?
the_terrible: Probably because so many girls orgasm every time he speaks.
me: To visualize so many girls orgasming every time Kyon speaks...::shudders::
epic progressive

vox

zoupzuop2

I've not watched many dubs in my time, but it looks like they've picked a pretty good cast. Fair is fair.

What I'M concerned about is how they'll handle the OP and ED. Are they going to keep the original Japanese versions, or will they try to re-vocalize them with the new cast?
My hope goes for the former. The songs are (still!) hits in Japan, and have enough influence over here. Changing them would be trying to fix an unbroken machine.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"What I'M concerned about is how they'll handle the OP and ED. Are they going to keep the original Japanese versions, or will they try to re-vocalize them with the new cast?

Unless it's Funimation*, I think you need not worry.

(*Didn't Funimation dub over some songs? I know Fruits Basket, for one, had a dubbed OP on the dub track, but I can't remember anything else...)
epic progressive

vox

Tsubasa

It's pretty common practice to keep Japanese-language OP/EDs in direct-to-video anime releases in America.  I can't vouch much for exceptions cause I never watch dub tracks.  Well, except for one: You-Gen-Kai-Sya actually had a good re-dubbing for the OP & ED.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

BP!

Another update. Once again, I'm not the one who finds this, it's others on the GameFAQs boards.

Quote from: "GameFAQs Anime & Manga - Other Titles Board"More Haruhi DVD info (including release order!)
From: timpkmn89 | Posted: 2/24/2007 10:03:27 PM | Message Detail | #001
www.asosbrigade.com

Or if you don't feel like waiting for it to load:
http://www.animeonline.com/index.php?page=news_details&action=details&id=100612

That, except the first limited edition is $5 cheaper and includes a Haruhi arm protector, the 4th bonus CD is Suzumiya Haruhi no Tsumeawase (Live A Live songs + Koi no Mikuru Densetsu).

And according to a Bandai employee on AnimeonDVD, if you don't like the order, you'll have to complain to your new Japanese overlords:

The Special Editions were the only way TV Broadcast Order could be released in North America as an "extra". It was pretty tough to get that approved as even Japan doesn't have TV Broadcast Order on DVDs.

So that is why you're seeing Broadcast Order on the special editions instead of regular, because it is an obligation (not a choice) to put Japanese DVD order on regular version.

Jon will be back on Monday, just wanted to explain why some things are the way they are

Keep posting comments to this thread, I assure you people read them and are interested in what you think!

---
"Maybe it is stupid, but it's also dumb." - Patrick from SpongeBob SquarePants

That's all there is to say. Don't blame Bandai for Chronological Order on the DVDs though, blame Kadokawa.
Cooking is a gift from the gods, spices are a gift from the devil...looks like it was a little too spicy for you. -Sanji

Spiritsnare

Got the news from here. And oh my god. Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

This is the best DVD release I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing thus far. And I really hope they pre-release the anime at Fanime.

Seriously. That is so freaking sexy.
epic progressive

vox

Tsubasa

I rike.  I'm gonna pick up all the LEs.

I'm utterly dumbfounded that they're including what sounds like dakimakura covers.  If that's  the case, who even has a standard-sized dakimakura pillow with which to use them on? XD;
-Tsubasa

KimaLucifer

I`m not someone who watches Haruhi but for those who do:

http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/cf/sos/haruhi.html

I found them the other day at the store and thought some of you might be interested in them :X
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Tsubasa"I rike.  I'm gonna pick up all the LEs.

I'm utterly dumbfounded that they're including what sounds like dakimakura covers.  If that's  the case, who even has a standard-sized dakimakura pillow with which to use them on? XD;

I don't think they're dakimakura covers; I think they're standard pillow covers.

However, if they are indeed dakimakura covers, I'll order a dakimakura pillow on the double.
epic progressive

vox

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
Quote from: "Tsubasa"I rike.  I'm gonna pick up all the LEs.

I don't think they're dakimakura covers; I think they're standard pillow covers.
That would be probably the most reasonable assumption considering the release conditions, but one has to wonder because of the amount of originally JP onry stuff they want to shove at us in these releases.
-Tsubasa

Spiritsnare

Well, are Haruhi dakimakura already available?
epic progressive

vox

Tsubasa

Not outside of doujin releases as far as I know.  But looking at the other swag available in the LE releases, I wouldn't be surprised if they make original JP-like merchandise for the US release.  For example, I'm pretty sure those shitajiki won't all be original JP releases.  The one pictured in the image with the first LE box looks like a furoku item from a magazine (I forget which one.  Probably Animage or Animedia), but with some alteration.
-Tsubasa

KimaLucifer

Actually there is one D:

I saw it at the Animate store the other day and it`s got Mikuru and Haruhi ? on it. :X
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I read about this anime and it got good reviews....but the whole anime wasn't very interesting to me. It was like someone using a cheap video camera to document some cosplay show or something....done with modern anime graphics. I was totally turned off by it. >.<

Barnes

That must have been the first episode.
Try the second episode.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Spiritsnare

I agree. At the end, it's painfully obvious that there's something much more to the series.

But I can't blame you. I know a couple of friends who thought that they downloaded the wrong thing when they opened up Genshiken 1 and went "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS KUJIBIKI UNBALANCE?!"
epic progressive

vox

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well what's the second episode like? If it isn't that stupid documentary acting like it's some cheesy movie done by a bunch of newbies.....then I'd actually consider watching it. I mean heck I'm trying to convince my friends Bleach is actually worth it...

Lisu

I'm sorry, but from reading the two entries, it seems like you completely missed the fact that the first episode was for the entire 'movie' constantly making fun of itself?
No, its not all like that, the ending shows you that the cast were watching it, following episodes play like a real time show.  But it also seems like it will need to be explained  that the episodes, for its own charm, are not in chronological order.
Just a rule of thumb though, you really can't judge any show with just the first episode.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I dunno. I loved EVA AND GW on their first episodes. Same with Great Teacher Onizuka and several others. ^^;

I MIGHT go back to it...eventually. First I need to see Fruits Baskets as I might cosplay the crossdresser from there...

Chun

http://asosbrigade.com/ just released the first English trailer to the series.

Haruhi sounds really weird to me ( I wasn't around during polls for her, if there were any), Mikuru, as I thought, is casted perfectly. Kyon is reassuring. No Itsuki or Yuki in live.

Oh man... I'm totally losing everything in my fanime during releases aren't I.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)