FANIME WEAPONS POLICY 2006

Started by angeljibrille, April 10, 2006, 04:02:31 PM

The_Merchant

Quote from: "MisakiFan41"A quick question concerning Holstered Guns.

I have a airsoft that will be holstered but will have no bbs, no clip inserted, and the battery slot lid will be left opened at all times. Is this deemed acceptable to wear or am I going to have to have it out of sights because my costume is based on a police officer's uniform.

I actually have to agree with his question because my costume sort of runs the same premise though the weapon I used last time was peace bonded at  2005's con.
What Are Ya Buyin?

Zekke

ok wait, one question,

Are airsoft guns and absolute "No" or as long as there Peace'd in the holster they are fine?

I just wanna make sure I understand this completely so I dont do something stupid.

Wolfgang

Okay,

Lots of if's here, but I think you will be fine:

IF the item is in a holster and can be peace-bonded so it can NOT be drawn. and

IF this item is not loaded

IF it can NOT be made shoot a leathal object at any time

IF the person peace-bonding does not have an objection because of something not covered, this item can be allowed.

However, we ask that at NO time you draw the weapon. IF you must do it for some pictures, please let a Rover know so he can re-peacebond it. Our issue is with people walking by, not understand the context, and raising a fuss.

Please feel free to direct any more question to me or let me know they are here. I am not very good at watching the boards.

Wolfgang
Dir. Operations
Fanime '06

wirewolf6

Just to clarify ....Can we bring real swords? and get them peace bond? Because Im going hisagi shuuhei from bleach  :?:  and I have no other way of finding a prop T__T I wonder if it's okay ...O_o?

di3m05

I asked this question in the other pre-official weapons policy thread, and I really don't want to get in trouble so I guess I'll ask here too.

I'm planning on cosplaying as Haku from Naruto and I'll be using double-pointed knitting needles as props. They're pretty blunt though still pointy. I mean...if I really, really, really tried I could stab someone with them. (but then again, you could do that with pencils and such too) I'd only be using them for poses. Are they okay or should I just not bring them?

angeljibrille

Quote from: "wirewolf6"Just to clarify ....Can we bring real swords? and get them peace bond? Because Im going hisagi shuuhei from bleach  :?:  and I have no other way of finding a prop T__T I wonder if it's okay ...O_o?

http://fanime.com/cosplay/weapons_policy.html

All weapon pieces that are carried, either in hand or on/in a costume must be approved by appropriate convention personnel. Anything that looks like a real firearm or could hurt someone by accident (dulled metal swords, etc) can not be hand carried or slung over the shoulder. It must be able to be put into a holster or scabbard and peace bonded there. This can be done at a designated peace-bonding area or the Rover office on the second floor of the Marriott hotel. It is the Possessor's responsibility to do this as soon as possible. Failure to do so may result in the forfeiture of convention membership. Any item that can not be peace bonded to the satisfaction of convention personel MAY NOT BE CARRIED. This decision is up to the individual Fanime staff, and is not negotiable. In case of any dispute, consult with Rovers leadership.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "di3m05"I asked this question in the other pre-official weapons policy thread, and I really don't want to get in trouble so I guess I'll ask here too.

I'm planning on cosplaying as Haku from Naruto and I'll be using double-pointed knitting needles as props. They're pretty blunt though still pointy. I mean...if I really, really, really tried I could stab someone with them. (but then again, you could do that with pencils and such too) I'd only be using them for poses. Are they okay or should I just not bring them?

http://fanime.com/cosplay/weapons_policy.html

Even if the item is not attached to anything it must be peace bonded. For example, a 6 foot staff, a 10 foot sword etc. This will let staff know that you understand and agree with the policy as stated or amended.

Tetsunai

I'm bringing a first aid kit as part of my costume. Will I have to do anything about the surgical scissors in the kit?

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Tetsunai"I'm bringing a first aid kit as part of my costume. Will I have to do anything about the surgical scissors in the kit?

...?

I think we may be getting silly here people...

The answer is:

"If in doubt, go get it checked by the rovers and have it peacebonded."

That's my final answer, I'm going to be too busy doing stuff in prep for the convetnion to answer any further weapons quesions.

Once again: "If in doubt, go get it checked by the rovers and have it peacebonded."

Thanks,
Marisa

Megumi

Okay, I don't know if this is okay, and I'm sorry if poeple have asked already but...is it okay for me to bring a weapon I bought outside of fanime, like before the con, just as long as I have it peace-bonded as soon as I arrive at the con?

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Megumi"Okay, I don't know if this is okay, and I'm sorry if poeple have asked already but...is it okay for me to bring a weapon I bought outside of fanime, like before the con, just as long as I have it peace-bonded as soon as I arrive at the con?

"If in doubt, go get it checked by the rovers and have it peacebonded."

ZETA SHINTANi

My g/f is going to be an Acolyte from RO, and she plans on carrying a chain with her (as in a chain attached to a wooden handle).

Picture:

http://roempire.com/database/images/items/big/Chain.gif

Since the chain is made of metal, what's the rule on this weapon? And if the metal chain can't be used, what's an alternative?

LET'S HUMAN SEQUENCER THIS SH!T!!

JME2

Stupid question. As I will be cosplaying as  Bleach's Urahara, would his cane count as a weapon or would I be in the clear?

Shinobi99

I wanted to ask if I made a dull sword out of wood and had two tiny thin strips of metal wrapped around the handle also dull to hold the fabric wrapped around it would this be ok? Thank you for your time.

VictimX

Quote from: "ZETA SHINTANi"My g/f is going to be an Acolyte from RO, and she plans on carrying a chain with her (as in a chain attached to a wooden handle).

Picture:

http://roempire.com/database/images/items/big/Chain.gif

Since the chain is made of metal, what's the rule on this weapon? And if the metal chain can't be used, what's an alternative?

A friend of mine used a plastic chain (black) that he painted chrome, that might be allowed over a metal one if they don't allow it.

Shinobi99

I will be making the costume so I can switch out the chain if I need to. Thank you for the advise. :)

lycan510

im going as a mix between Vash the Stampede and Sora (from Kingdom Hearts 2), and i was going to make a keyblade gun, kindof like the gunblade (FFVIII). i was wondering if i need to have a sheath for it? it is going to be wood and PVC pipe, with an airsoft gun the has working mechanisms but would not fire anything, with its barrel nestled into the shaft of the sword. i dont know if it would need to be peacebonded, or sheathed. help?
Locked and Loaded, voices scream "Let's go!" "Come on!" "Do it!" "Here we go!"

Dagger-6

QuoteStupid question. As I will be cosplaying as Bleach's Urahara, would his cane count as a weapon or would I be in the clear?

It should be fine, just don't hit anyone on the head with it, swing it around, etc.

QuoteI wanted to ask if I made a dull sword out of wood and had two tiny thin strips of metal wrapped around the handle also dull to hold the fabric wrapped around it would this be ok? Thank you for your time.

That would most likely have to be secured to your costume in some way.  I'm  not entirely sure how the strips of metal on your prop work though, so I'm not sure if they'd be an issue.

Quoteim going as a mix between Vash the Stampede and Sora (from Kingdom Hearts 2), and i was going to make a keyblade gun, kindof like the gunblade (FFVIII). i was wondering if i need to have a sheath for it? it is going to be wood and PVC pipe, with an airsoft gun the has working mechanisms but would not fire anything, with its barrel nestled into the shaft of the sword. i dont know if it would need to be peacebonded, or sheathed. help?

That doesn't seem like it would resemble a firearm, so that part shouldn't be a problem.  In that case, it's treated pretty much like a sword in that it would be peacebonded to your costume.  If it's oversized so it can't comfortably be worn, it'll probably just be tagged and basic common sense applies (don't sling it over your shoulder, swing it around, etc.).  A keyblade-gun sounds like it shouldn't be too much of a 'weapon' so it shouldn't be too big of an issue hopefully.

As for the RO chain, they might secure it to the costume somehow, but I can't think of anything else, especially if it's a plastic chain.

-----

As always, don't take anything I say as a 100% official statement.  In the end, the final call on how to deal with weapon props is at the discretion of the con operators.  I'm just passing on what I kinda get from various staff meetings to the best of my ability.

In general what I've heard regarding the weapons policy is that:
There are no major changes from the 2006 policy.
Staff-like props will not be attached, but they cannot be slung over the shoulder.  They must be carried in a vertical position.
All other weapons must be attached to a costume.  If there is not an actual costume to go with the weapon-prop, it must be returend to a room/car/etc.
No paddles are allowed.

There is talk about a possible new prop-ID method to supplement the peace bonding that involves a special mark on a guest's Fanime admission card.  However, that is still up in the air as to wether it'll even go through, and I don't know the specifics of it.

If there are any more questions, please ask away and I'll bring them up at the next meeting.  If you have a question about a specific weapon, please include some pictures of the prop in question.

Hope that helps!

Jun-Watarase

Two of my cosplays have an guns as props with no holsters. Most photos or me walking around the con would be me holding the guns. If I can somehow prove that the guns are safe, can you guys do something like... tie the triggers or something when they're empty, or something?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Dagger-6

I know this sucks, but....no.  They'd have to be holstered.

Tying down the triggers doesn't do much to change the appearance of the prop.

You might get away with just attaching them to your costume so they can't be brandished.  It still sucks for posing, but at least you could have them on hand.  I'll double check on the policy for dealing with firearm-props without holsters at the next meeting.