FANIME WEAPONS POLICY 2006

Started by angeljibrille, April 10, 2006, 04:02:31 PM

JME2

Quote from: "trooper715"
QuoteStupid question. As I will be cosplaying as Bleach's Urahara, would his cane count as a weapon or would I be in the clear?

It should be fine, just don't hit anyone on the head with it, swing it around, etc.

Ah, thank you.

Fructose

I was wondering, what about carrying around a hammer, as in a carpenter's claw hammer? Would that be allowed, have to be peacebonded, etc.? It kinda falls under the same heading as a Winry cosplayer carrying around a real wrench.

Dagger-6

Hmm...That sounds like it'd be pretty much up the discretion of the department head.  So for that one, if you could wait a little while, I'll ask at the next staff meeting what the policy is about things such as tools.

I remember seeing some of the wrenches for Winry cosplays being just marked with a zip tie but not secured to the costume.  But that was back in 2005 and the department head has changed since then.

Fructose

No problem waiting, thank you in advance for asking. I'll just make sure to check back, and at least with a hammer it's not like you spend months constructing it only to have it be disallowed.

MistRCaboose

I was wondering, does a wooden bokken count as a weapon? I'm planning on bringing one for my cosplay, and I was just wondering if it's considered a weapon or not.
The wildly-creative genius gone mental. "I've got this great movie idea! It's about a bag of chips gets in the way of the love of a dragon and a ninja!"

Dagger-6

Yes, wooden bokken counts as a weapon and would need to be secured appropriately.

MistRCaboose

The wildly-creative genius gone mental. "I've got this great movie idea! It's about a bag of chips gets in the way of the love of a dragon and a ninja!"

cocoavvie

Call me stupid if someone's already asked, but...

Is carrying around a rod made out of really light wood still considered dangerous and needed to be peace-bonded?

Dagger-6

Hm....I can't say for sure. It'd be someone's judgement call, so I'd reccomend taking it to conops and having them check it out.

If it's a large sized rod (i.e. a staff), it will be tagged with a zip tie but you can carry it around, just be careful not to sling it over your shoulder.

I don't know why, but I have a mental image of a giant popsicle stick or something.

Bah, sorry I can't be more help on that one.

If you have an image or maybe could elaborate a little bit more I might be able to ask at the next staff meeting and come up with a clearer answer.

ClavigerBS

just so I'm clear on this.  

If it has the appearance of a sword, or other such easily identified weapon, it's to be piece-bonded.  Such as a bokken or home made wooden or plastic sword.

If it's something like a Kingdom Hearts Keyblade, which is more of an oversized key rather than a sword or such, it should be ok to just carry as long as it isn't used to hit people.

luckyends

i have a question
is my temari fan or my urahara cane considered weapons?
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

pockystix

Moving my question from a different thread...

Is it ok for me to carry around a small wooden deck brush? It's not too heavy...
New sn = Meirin

Dagger-6

Hey, I just want to apoligize for the slow reply.  The department head was not at the staff meeting last saturday so I couldn't get any answers to your questions, and it appears that he will actually not be at meetings until May 19.

In order to get an answer to all of you sooner, I will try contacting him via e-mail, but as some of you who may have tried that route know that sometime's it's hard to elict a response through the interwebs.

But I'm working on it!

Some quick, unofficial responses going off of what's been discussed in previous meetings:

QuoteIf it has the appearance of a sword, or other such easily identified weapon, it's to be piece-bonded. Such as a bokken or home made wooden or plastic sword.

Correct.

Going off the 2006 policy which is pretty much what we're sticking to for 2007:
QuoteThe definition of a weapon for the purpose of this policy is anything that is, looks like, or might look like it is dangerous to anyone when viewed up to 20 feet away in poor light.

Going off that definition, a deck brush, oversized fan, and cane should not be considered weapons.

A giant keyblade should also be fine.

And again, the hammer I can't really make a good call on.

However, the final call is up to the head of the Rover department, which as I noted, I unfortunately could not get ahold of. =|  As always, it is better to err on the side of caution and make a short 5 minute trip to the Rover office while at the con just so if anyone asks you can show you got an 'Okay' on your item.  If you don't, a staff member may request that you get an item checked out at a later point in time, as aside from simply appearance, issues about construction such as metal or sharp pointy objects may need to be considered.

You never know.  If a higher-up staff member feels there's a danger of someone poking someone's eye out with a giant key...then you need to get it checked out.

In the cases of oversized items that qualify as weapons, such as say, one of those wonderfully large and impracitcal anime swords or staff-like objects, they will be tagged and you will be reminded to make sure you are in control of your item and not accidently bopping people over the head or poking them in the eye with your giant stick of doom.

QuoteEven if the item is not attached to anything it must be peace bonded. For example, a 6 foot staff, a 10 foot sword etc. This will let staff know that you understand and agree with the policy as stated or amended.

Smaller sized items that qualify as a weapon will be secured to a costume so that they cannot be brandished about.

And as always, anything that resembles a firearm is a big no-no.

Again, I apoligize for my inability to get a definitive official answer, but I hope my responses help some of you feel at least a little more confident that you will not show up at Fanime only to be forced to walk around all day with a giant fan or key zip tied to your body.

ININ

trooper715, you may know the answer.  Is ConOps going to open on Thursday during PreReg?  If yes, can they check and peacebond weapons.  I need get my Bleach sword checked and peacebonded.  Thanks.

Prinny

Sorry about reviving an old topic, but..

For my costume i have a lance constructed out of aluminum sheet metal, it has a plastic tip and is about as dangerous as a slice of bread soaked in gravy.

Would the fact that its contructed out of sheet metal matter as long as its absolutely non-leathal without any sharp edges or pointy areas.

Can be seen here without cap:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/The_Desert_Punk/Arthur/102_0350.jpg

Only 5 hours old, ain't it cute?

luckyends

i got another question so if i had 10 plastic samurai swords would i have to get all of them piece tied?
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

Kouri Neko

If you can peace bond an air soft gun to the holster, why wasn't I given that option?  I was told to put it away or it'll be taken away.  In my opinion, the rules become more unclear every year.  *boot to the head* to those who can't keep the rules straight.  Enough said..
I'm not a Mecha Anime fan..

mangalover0410

Just to clarify- something like a 10-foot wooden sword, still has to be peace bonded, but will not be attached to the costume?
Life is pain highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
-The Princess Bride

ShikiIchijo

What's the weapons policy on a bow that I would only be stringing if I was asked to take pictures? Its like three to four feet. No projectiles of course.
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

ArynChris

<.<  >.>  <.<  I'm not staff, but I can share personal experience from last year.

A) The rules are based on judgement, and everyone's judgement is different--and sometimes the same person will change their mind from year to year based on what they've seen happen.

B) My friend was last year's most popular Sephiroth. ^_^ (it's the wig, I tell you!)  He had a 6 foot real sword and was made to tie it to his back as well as the regular zip-ties.  It messed up his costume and made walking awkward, especially since the sword is longer than he is tall, but it was the only way they'd let him carry it around.  He once drew it, out in front, to help make a video, but since got in mass tons of trouble because that violates California law.

C) I also saw ten-foot cardboard Inuyasha swords. :D  Honestly, how can you secure that to a costume?  It's huge!  But they were still peace-bonded to remind the owners not to bop people on the head with them.

D) Last year I carried a wooden baseball bat... That's a weapon, my friends, 3-4 feet long.  They peace-bonded it only after a lively debate among the staff and a LOT of questions about whether I could possibly, in any way at all, wear it as a costume piece instead of carrying it.  I think the deciding factor was that I have a bad leg and mostly use it as a cane. XP  Not sure if they'll let me do that two years in a row (which would suck, because I'd have to use the stupid crutches, but there you have it).