Old School Anime Thread (REPRESENT!)

Started by OSAKA, April 19, 2006, 12:29:52 AM

Spiritsnare

Sore-ike! Anpanman and Sazae-san would also be more older examples of vintage anime. Hell, Sazae-san was a 1969 release. Both titles are referred to constantly in a parody-ish manner (Genshiken's "Zasae-san", for example) or still use aspects of the anime (Taiko no Tatsujin: Wakuwaku Anime Matsuri! has both themes in their songlist.)

Slayers may also be dubbed a recent "old-school" anime; it aired in '95, so that fulfills Tsubasa's decade-old criteria.

And, just because it had to be said: VOLTRON, REPRESENT! 8D
epic progressive

vox

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Sore-ike! Anpanman and Sazae-san would also be more older examples of vintage anime. Hell, Sazae-san was a 1969 release.
I used to like Anpanman as a little kid.  Boy now its way too kiddish for me.  For Sazae san its a very good show to learn about real life Japanese culture and pretty much easy to understand while you're learning Japanese.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

YoureMyHiro

Uresei Yastsura
Dirty Pair
Cutey Honey
DevilMan
Lupin

drallcome

Ahh.. Old school

Kimagure Orange Road
Tenchi Muyo OVAs
Masion Ikkoku
AMG!
Fanime Member since 1999

Barnes

I can't believe I forgot Nadia:Secret of The Blue Water (note: I read "copyright 1989" in the credits)
Also:
Castle of Caliostro(sp?)
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Lisu

Many of mine have been posted, but come on, I want to know once in my life if anyone else knows the anime Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken
Back in the day kids played megaman and ninja gaiden on the nintendo, it was dragon quest for me, it was good times seeing some things applied into anime.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Lisu"Many of mine have been posted, but come on, I want to know once in my life if anyone else knows the anime Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken
Back in the day kids played megaman and ninja gaiden on the nintendo, it was dragon quest for me, it was good times seeing some things applied into anime.
I watched that anime when I was a little kid at japan.

2 years ago I read Dragon Quest manga at my mom's friends place in japan.  Pretty interesting and a classic.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Saffy

this is old school stuff?
I guess Lupin III, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, stuff that actually looks its age
Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Devilman; the real oldies!

I agree that Akira and Ghost in the Shell have become classics, even if they relatively aren't that old...

I can't believe Bebop would be considered Old School!!! Does the same go for Trigun? Although considering how many times it's been seen, I guess its getting there.

How bout Doraemon? haha ^_^
POCKY
Because you never forget your first box.

GIANT POCKY
Because some like it harder, better, faster, stronger

Images coming soon!

Random

Akira
Unico
Jack and the Beanstalk
Robotech
Voltron
Transformers
Ranma 1/2

and all those ones they had on Nickelodeon during the 80's
Belle and sebastion
Grimms fairy tails

There is no way Bebop and Ghost in the Shell can be considered "Old School" give it another 5, 10 years.
  WOW!

AbsolutelyCursed

Off the top of my head:

Robotech
Voltron
Gatchaman
Gall Force
Vampire Hunter D (first movie)
Galaxy Express 999
Casshan Robot Hunter
Battle Angel

That's all for now

~~Loktera~~

If anyone remembers back in the late 90's, the Sci Fi channel (Still young it was) has Anime on Saturday mornings. Sure, everything they showed was subbed, but it was still sooooo freekin awesome...

I still <3 Iria: The Zeiram Animation.

I know that there is a live action series out there based on that, I wonder if it is available online somewhere...
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Tuplica

Quote from: "~~Loktera~~"If anyone remembers back in the late 90's, the Sci Fi channel (Still young it was) has Anime on Saturday mornings. Sure, everything they showed was subbed, but it was still sooooo freekin awesome...

Haha, most people would probably think the subbed aspect was a bonus.  Personally, I remember seeing an anime movie on scifi once when I was in middle school at some point.. I was trying to watch it with an anime-fanatic friend (late at night/early morning), but we kept talking so much that 20 minutes into the movie, we had no idea what was going on and gave up on it. :P
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Darryl Mendoza

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!
Project A-ko, Sailormoon, Card Captor Sakura, Akira, Lupin, and Dirty Pair Flash!!!!!!!! Those are the only ones that I can remember at the moment but I had wayyyy wayyyyyyyyyyy more to post up.

I'll post them up later.
Extra Fresh League
MvC2: Team Matrix, Team Santhrax
Guilty Gear Accent Core- Slayer, Bridget
Street Figther 3rd Strike- Makoto, Dudley, Akuma

drallcome

Dont forget Old school Hentai!!!

Urotsukidoji.. I think it was the first anime I saw.. hehe
Fanime Member since 1999

AbsolutelyCursed

For hentai, I have only three words:

LA BLUE GIRL

ININ

I feel really old XD

Sailor Moon (Played the official RPG once)
Ranma ½
Akazukin Cha Cha
Hime-Chan No Ribbon
Project A-Ko
Bubblegum Crisis
Robotech (Played the RPG for years in college :P )
Dominion Tank Police
Gall Force
Voltron

This topic is worth doing a panel.  I think Live Programming is still looking for panel ideas.  Anyone want to do a panel?

SuperKawaiiNeko

o/~ To-to-ro to-to-ro! o/~

Gotta represent the Miyazaki!

And if you guys are counting sailor moon and tenchi as old school, then I just have one thing to say:

I hold no enmity against those coerced into evil. But, to those vile beings that toy with the hearts and souls of men, since the time of ancient gods we have been your destroyers! Now, the 108th generation Devil Hunter Yoko is here!

....Yeah, Ive got it memorised. You know you love it.

Also, CardCaptor Sakura? Old school? Jeez, make me feel like some kinda geezer or something. CCS isnt old school =P
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010