Old School Anime Thread (REPRESENT!)

Started by OSAKA, April 19, 2006, 12:29:52 AM

OSAKA

Reset your long dead tamagotchi and slip on those kicking B.K. Knights! It's time to show some love for your old school favorites in Japanimation before you even knew Japan even existed!

List your favorite anime from back in the day and give us some old school love on them.

Before Naruto, the PREMIRE ninja anime was NINJA SCROLL! Heavy on action, heavy on the blood and gore, and heavy in SNAKES IN VAGINAS! Ninja Scroll is simply a bad ass classic. One MOVIE beats a 200 something episode series like naruto anyday in my eyes.

Shadow Skill in my mind is still one of the most underated anime's ever made, with incredible (for it's time) fight scenes, and the most beautiful final 10 minute final battle ever. It wasn't all speed lines and transformation spells, if you want to see a heavily physical fight done right, check out Shadow Skill (but not part 2, that was garbage)

Honestly, new anime (2000 and up) while there are a few good one's here and there, don't have that edgey, adult feeling that they once used too. Does anyone remember the first minutes of Ghost in The Shell Where LT Kusanagi blow's some politiction's head off, and their spinal cords and stuff everywhere? Where's the shock value, the utterly out there bizarre and out there that old school anime had? I watched cartoon animals hit each other with kitchen utensils in the afternoon, then watched DRACULA BLOW A MINION'S BRAINS ALL OVER A WALL at night watching Vampire Hunter D.  Anyone else digging me on this? There's just too much drama (fo' yo' momma) now!

Alright time to let this rant go (for now) Time to pass it to the otakus to keep it real and represent your old school anime.

Other major worthy mentions:
-Dominion Tank
-Dirty Pair (flash and original)
-Angel Cop (MUCHO BLOODY AND GOOD)
-Wicked City (walk in vagina's, anyone?)
-Project A-Ko

OSAKA.

Sunara Ishi

How about Card Captor Sakura? Sailor Moon? Transformers?
Urusei Yatsura? Macross?

Hmm... was Votron anime? O.o?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Vanessa

Urusei Yatsura!

I have over 37 VHS tapes of the series and own 3 of the Boxsets. That show never fails to amaze me.

Kazuko

O: Ranma and Project A-ko for teh win <3
also card captor sakura and Saint Seiya >w< <3

DayDreamerNessa

I like

-dirty pair flash
-All purpose cultural catgirl nuku nuku (i don't know how old it is either way I thought it was cute =P)
-giant robo
-sailormoon
-cardcaptor sakura
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

G.I.R

Quote from: "OSAKA"Other major worthy mentions:
-Dominion Tank
-Dirty Pair (flash and original)
-Angel Cop (MUCHO BLOODY AND GOOD)
-Wicked City (walk in vagina's, anyone?)
-Project A-Ko

Project A-Ko and Robot Carnival pretty much got me interested in anime.

How about Tenchi Muyo (I prefer the T.V. series myself).

Tuplica

I'm somehow deeply pained to realize that SM and Tenchi Muyo (And CCS?!?!) are old enough to be considered 'old school' nowadays...

Though I realized just a little while ago that Bebop is getting on in years, too.  -_-;
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

G.I.R

Quote from: "Tuplica"Though I realized just a little while ago that Bebop is getting on in years, too.  -_-;

Nooooooooooooo!!!  Bebop is old school now?!?  Gawd I feel old.

I guess the real question is, what makes an anime "Old School"?  There probably is a big grey area on this one.

OniCourseMusha

Doraemon
Ninja Hattori kun
Fist of the North Star TV
Uresei Yatsura
Ranma 1/2
Lupan the 3rd
The old Ghibli movie: Castle in the Sky, Naushica Valley of the wind etc...
Akira
Ninja Scroll
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Kazuko

^___^ oooh I cant forget Doraemon its my faavorite *hugs her Doraemon plushie*

O: theres also:
Patlabor
Gundam Wing
G-Gundam
Astro Boy
Kimba the white lion
Black Jack
Gigantor

Barnes

Bubble Gum Crissis(sp?)
Nuku Nuku
Akira
Patlabor

I'll post more later
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

FanFicGuru

Kimba the White Lion
Speed Racer
Old Turboman Animation. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Belldandy

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs!

Shinsengumi

Ranma 1/2
Lupan the 3rd
Akira
Ninja Scroll
Uresei Yastsura
Samurai Troopers
Saint Seiya
Original Moblie Suit Gundam
Space Battleship Yamato or Star Blazers
Robotech or Macross
Bubble Gum Crises
Speed Racer
The oldTransformers
Voltron
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Tuplica"I'm somehow deeply pained to realize that SM and Tenchi Muyo (And CCS?!?!) are old enough to be considered 'old school' nowadays...
SM & Tenchi certainly don't feel old-school yet.  And CCS is totally not old-school.  That began airing in 1998.  It hasn't even been a decade.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

zoupzuop2

Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

FanFicGuru

Yeah, I'd consider a decade, old school by now. *nod*
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

OSAKA

All good picks everybody! Keep on representing!

Someone asked me this question the other day when I mentioned the topic of old school anime, (since it would be slightly unfair to put late 90's anime into the old school column) So I agree with the last poster that said stuff 10 years from now would be suitable.

Next up: Key the Metal Idol.

On KTEH, Yurei Yatsura and KMI were the hour anime block the station had, Key to me was then the total Mind Fuck Anime.  A robot girl that must make a thousand friends decides to become an idol, evil business men try to suck GOO out of other wannabe idol's and makes them lip synch for dancing robo-puppets. Total awesome.

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "Tsubasa"
Quote from: "Tuplica"I'm somehow deeply pained to realize that SM and Tenchi Muyo (And CCS?!?!) are old enough to be considered 'old school' nowadays...
SM & Tenchi certainly don't feel old-school yet.  And CCS is totally not old-school.  That began airing in 1998.  It hasn't even been a decade.
That's true.... >.>

Give us some examples of what you think are old school.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"Give us some examples of what you think are old school.
I find it hard for myself to call anything made after the 80's "old-school."  So examples would consist of Gundam, Macross, Project A-ko, Gatchaman, Galaxy Express 999, Lupin, Urusei Yatsura, Doraemon, etc.

Of course, I know most people don't really share my views and I suppose I can see the logic behind calling anything a decade old "old-school."
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR