Question about hand-made plushies

Started by lying is an art form, April 24, 2006, 04:14:43 PM

lying is an art form

My friend and I are making Organization XIII plushies (see my thread in the Things in the Universe board) and planning on selling them at the Swap Meet. Would that be okay, since there's this licensing factor and all.

*Organization XIII = KingdomHearts II
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Skizzup

im pretty sure that would be pretty illegal. considering that KH2 is licensed by Disney and squarenix, and they would have no problem handing you a lawsuit....

lying is an art form

Actually my question was already answered =P

Besides, look at all those plushie makers on dA that get commissioned =P
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

vayseth

They would be considered bootleg if you tried to sell them.

HOWEVER, I have seen people get away with it in artist alley because they say it's their "artistic representation" of something like an Azumanga Daioh hat.

It takes a lot to get licenced and it's annoying, but you might have that loop hole.

Remember: if you're not selling, it doesn't matter...

Japanvideogames

Im just guessing since i've seen plenty of fan made plushies, usually at artist alleys at other cons and stuff so i guess depends on where you sell them.

redroses3164

Big company giants like Disney and Square Enix aren't gonna hunt down every single person who makes plushies of their characters because it wouldn't be worth it. As long as you aren't making HUGE profits, then they won't bother you.

Technically, cosplay would be considered copyright infringement too but people sell cosplay stuff anyway so it's the same thing.

Dunno about the rules for Fanime though. Just a heads up on lawsuit stuff.

Keys

This question appears to refer to the Fanime of 2 years ago, but for those interested in making and selling plushies for this year, the most appropriate way to do that is by getting a table in Artists' Alley.

sunrise-oasis

well since I a not allowed to sell the large custom fan made keyblades..IM VERY SURE they wont allow hand made plushie versions as well!....

*already asked this question before regarding about large scale model fan-keyblades and hand made plushies!*