Tournament Arcades Are a "No-Go"

Started by MPLe, May 03, 2006, 10:22:09 AM

M

Sorry, but the arcade owners have asked Fanime NOT to have any tournaments on their arcades. This may change for the upcoming years, but for Fanime '06, there will not be any arcade tournaments.

[Edit: This applies to Fanime '07. Sorry! :(]
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

zoupzuop2

Ack. This means the DDR tourney is a flop...

...wait. They regulated against Fanime having tourneys. Does this mean that the Con-goers can't organize tourneys amongst themselves? "Inofficial" tournaments? Or is there no organized play altogether?
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

M

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Ack. This means the DDR tourney is a flop...

...wait. They regulated against Fanime having tourneys. Does this mean that the Con-goers can't organize tourneys amongst themselves? "Inofficial" tournaments? Or is there no organized play altogether?

PassingTheBuck should be here to answer that question. :P

In the meantime, I'm going to go with the following response:
Nothing that ties up any machine from the public can be done.

deepbluevibes

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: MPLeSorry, but the arcade owners have asked Fanime NOT to have any tournaments on their arcades. This may change for the upcoming years, but for Fanime '06, there will not be any arcade tournaments.
by "arcade owners", i'm assuming that you're talking about OnCampus Entertainment, so yea, i think i can see why. OnCampus Entertainment is a new company for Fanime and Fanime is a new event for them. it's logical for OCE to want to get their feet settled on the ground first, before trying to do anything fancy. if after the event, Fanime turns out to be profitable for them, i'm sure OCE will be much more willing to run special events.

i was 1 of the guys who "tried" to host the arcade tournament last year. getting Fanime to contract with OCE will definately increase the probability of an arcade tournament happening, but not this year. anything happening in May, i'm sure the Fanime staff would consider to be last minute. anyway, i'm gonna talk to one of the OCE reps after Fanime, and if he can give me an "OK" for an arcade tournament in 2007, then i'll join the Fanime staff officially to make sure things turn out right.

Quote from: deepbluevibes(removed per privacy policy)
yea right, it would take forever to run a tourney like that!

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Ack. This means the DDR tourney is a flop...

If two people wanted to 'dance' against each other and they have waited in line, like everyone and they follow the 'let's play nice rules', I don't see it as a problem.  

Understand that OCE is not going to stop the machines to host an event nor will I allow anyone else to stop the machines to host an event.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

AmazingKenchan

You guys forget that DDR exists off AC.
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Emerge

zoupzuop2

REVIEV WITH LIEF!

It'd be good to know if this policy was still in place for 2007, as Emerge before me asked.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

M

I apologize, but yes, this affects 2007. :(

SohmaYuki

Milton is lying, he just doesn't want me winning all the tournaments and laughing.

zoupzuop2

Gaw. *snif*

Unless someone has... um... IDEAS for... some sort'a... uninterrupting... get-together of DDR players... that... happen to... have money or something... and happen to give a bunch to the winner/top 3... or something... that isn't a tournament IN ANY WAY AT ALL NO SIRREEBOB...

...pleh.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well it would be a pain...but you could have people sign up and hold a tourney...but still let other people play as well in-between if need be. That or you could hold them over the course of two nights and do them super late when there's fewer attendees.

M

Quote from: "SohmaYuki"Milton is lying, he just doesn't want me winning all the tournaments and laughing.
You wouldn't win or laugh. :P

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Well it would be a pain...but you could have people sign up and hold a tourney...but still let other people play as well in-between if need be. That or you could hold them over the course of two nights and do them super late when there's fewer attendees.
Yeah, but that would require alot of work on whoever organizes it and I'm sure there's something wrong with doing that. I don't know all the rules, though. *shrugs* (This is where you talk to PassingTheBuck if you want more information).

PassingTheBuck

Milton...

Why should I be surprised that one of your avatars is Milhouse...

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Ayanami Rei First Child

Again....if you people really want to host a damn UNOFFICIAL tourney that badly for arcade machines...then you shouldn't whine or complain about extra effort. You have OVER A MONTH to plan this...NO EXCUSES!! :roll:

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Oh, not to be mean...but please, please, don't ask E-Gaming about this either: its outside our domain. We had a couple of people ask us and we're not fans of disappointment, but what can do.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Again....if you people really want to host a damn UNOFFICIAL tourney that badly for arcade machines...then you shouldn't whine or complain about extra effort. You have OVER A MONTH to plan this...NO EXCUSES!! :roll:

You mean like Fanime '05? Where me and Bata-kun had been planning things out for like half a year?
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=2020&start=40&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

and then on the day of the tourney this shit happened?
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=2952&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=  <---(thread deleted? cover-up?)
(start with the post dated: Sun May 29, 2005 3:15 am)
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=3380&start=20&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
(start with the post dated: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:15 am)

And large tournies will always be time consuming, no matter how well you plan things out. There will always be delays, such as players not showing up when it's their turn.

EXAMPLE:

p11: is it my turn yet?
host: no, i'll call u when it's ur turn.
p11: when will it be my turn?
host: i need p2 to battle p5 first and the winner of that match will face the whoever is the winner of p3 vs p9. you face the winner of that match. i'll call u when it's ur turn.
p11: when will that be?
host: i dunno, i can't find p5 now. i'll call u when it's ur turn.
host: no, now i can't find p9. i'll call u when it's ur turn.

host: P11!!!! it's ur turn finally!
host: P11?
host: ...
host: P11!
host: god dammit!
p17: is it my turn yet?
host: no, you don't have an opponent yet until the winner of p5 vs p11 face off against whoever gonna be the winner of p3 vs p16. and the winner of THAT faces the winner of p8 vs p14. you face the winner of that match. i'll call you when its ur turn.
host: P11!!!
p17: is it my turn yet?

FYI: but for the record, i'm not pushing for an arcade tournament anymore. i've already given up on that, but please don't speak to us like it's so easy to run a tournament and the only thing stopping us is our own laziness or lack of preparation or lack of communication or lack of whatever. i've been running successful tournaments since 2002.

Ayanami Rei First Child

*Shrugs* Didn't realize you were planning to hold it with that many people. I also didn't count on the stupidity of Staff members, but then again I really shouldn't be surprised when some lady bitched at friends for playfighting with PLASTIC weapons, and not even fiercely. Actually they were threatened with having their badges revoked which wasn't cool.

I can understand that, but I was merely saying that if you had a properly dedicated group....people who didn't have #11 type person or something...then it COULD work. Of course it'd work a LOT better if people had books or PSP or something to do while they waited. Obviously it wouldn't be simple either as even smaller tourneys take a good amount of effort. That's why I used various things like doing it late at night and hosting over a course of days...

Maybe you could just do a small tourney with 6 people and split it into 2 nights, and then on the 3rd night you could have a final face off.