Parking?

Started by lolitadesu, May 08, 2006, 05:31:06 PM

lolitadesu

I'm not sure if this has been asked/answered yet, but how much would it cost for parking at the Marriot if you are staying there?
It'll be there for the duration of Fanime and I'm planning to go in and out with it. Can anyone help?

otakuya

The convention center has their own parking garage, which is $10 a day, regardless of hotel guest or not. Around Downtown San Jose, there are several parking garages that are free on weekends and weekdays after 6pm. You can also park at a light rail station with a Park & Ride lot free and take the light rail to and from the convention center.

My guess is that parking won't be an issue if you follow directions and identify the free lots, but parking will be much harder when the Sharks continue their playoff run by then.

Go Sharks!

Tuplica

I've heard mutterings that it's better to do hotel parking even though it's more expensive if you have any intention of taking your car out at any time.  If only because the con center doesn't have in/out privilege, and the hotels do.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

ININ

Can someone verify hotel parking with in/out privileges?

YoureMyHiro

I called and confirmed with The Marriott Hotel:

$21 Dollars a Day with In and Out priviledges.

I only checked Marriott because Ill be staying there but I would assume the Hilton operates similarly being the neighboring adjacent Hotel.

drallcome

I have a parking trick I learned last year.. Park in the free parking garages in the area. But If you get there on Thursday like I will you have to pay if you leave.. Its only free nights and weekends.  So I plan to be there all weekend and im not moveing the car,, so get there thursday, and leave on monday when its free parking. They leave the parking gates open that day. So I pay nothing!  Hope it works again.
Fanime Member since 1999

Suspicious

Quote from: "drallcome"I have a parking trick I learned last year.. Park in the free parking garages in the area. But If you get there on Thursday like I will you have to pay if you leave.. Its only free nights and weekends.  So I plan to be there all weekend and im not moveing the car,, so get there thursday, and leave on monday when its free parking. They leave the parking gates open that day. So I pay nothing!  Hope it works again.

I encountered this problem at Otakon, but I'm not sure if it applies here.. do you know if the garages lock up at night?  I recall getting locked out of our car during the wee hours of the morning.
»Jrock Con »LJ »MySpace »Website

Tuplica

I know from experience that the Hilton has free in/out privilages.  Don't know the exact price, but they have both regular do it yourself and valet parking, with different prices for each.  18 seems to come to mind, for some reason.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

deepbluevibes

(removed per privacy policy)

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: deepbluevibes(removed per privacy policy)

There is metered parking on both sides of the street from the convention and even a small public parking lot across the street from the convention center which is about 8 bux a day I think, someone correct me if im wrong but Im pretty sure its about price. Of course this is dependant on what time you show up as it has a tendency to fill up quick. Unfortunately parking just about anywhere can be sparse being that its Dowtown San Jose on Memorial Weekend.

drallcome

Fanime Member since 1999

lolitadesu

Thank you everyone for your replies!
Quote from: "drallcome"I have a parking trick I learned last year.. Park in the free parking garages in the area. But If you get there on Thursday like I will you have to pay if you leave.. Its only free nights and weekends.  So I plan to be there all weekend and im not moveing the car,, so get there thursday, and leave on monday when its free parking. They leave the parking gates open that day. So I pay nothing!  Hope it works again.
This sounds like a really good idea! With the link you provided of the free parking areas, it seems there is one right near the convention center. I'll be arriving there early morning on Thursday. When you park there, won't they give you a ticket to see how long it has been there though? Are you allowed to put things into your car after it has been parked?

Hmm...or I could just park in the hotel parking until after 6pm and just leave after 6pm on Monday... But I still need to ask if the free parking areas check for cars that they know have been there for a LONG time...

drallcome

Quote from: "lolitadesu"Thank you everyone for your replies!
This sounds like a really good idea! With the link you provided of the free parking areas, it seems there is one right near the convention center. I'll be arriving there early morning on Thursday. When you park there, won't they give you a ticket to see how long it has been there though? Are you allowed to put things into your car after it has been parked?

Hmm...or I could just park in the hotel parking until after 6pm and just leave after 6pm on Monday... But I still need to ask if the free parking areas check for cars that they know have been there for a LONG time...

Yea.. they give you a ticket but last year on monday they turned the ticket machines off so you dont need to pay for your ticket.. The parking gates to leave the garage was open all day. Yea, you can return to your car and put stuff in but you dont have in and out priv. I would park near the San Jose Repertory Theatre and walk 3 blocks. The one near the con is too small and fills up fast.
Fanime Member since 1999

lolitadesu

^
Thank you drallcome! I'll probably write down a couple of the free parking areas just in case they get filled up, but hopefully the one near the convention center has vacancy by the time I get there.

ININ

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"I called and confirmed with The Marriott Hotel:

$21 Dollars a Day with In and Out priviledges.

I only checked Marriott because Ill be staying there but I would assume the Hilton operates similarly being the neighboring adjacent Hotel.

Thank you.  The info helps the planning.

lolitadesu, the free parking areas definition of weeknights free parking time is 6:00 P.M.  Enter the free parking lots after 6:00 P.M. and parking is free $-)

drallcome

Quote from: "lolitadesu"^
Thank you drallcome! I'll probably write down a couple of the free parking areas just in case they get filled up, but hopefully the one near the convention center has vacancy by the time I get there.

I checked with Google Earth and that parking lot right next to the con is verry small.. I counted about 50 parking spots.  I would park where I do at the E. San Carlos st/ S. 3rd st garage.  Think its 5 levels.  Its your best bet for parking and its a quick 3 block walk. Its allso across the street from a Mc Donalds.
Fanime Member since 1999

lolitadesu

@ININ
Yeah, I'll probably do that. I like the thought of not having to get a ticket in the first place because they might open the ticket meters when I leave... :shock:

I guess that means I will have to park at the hotel or convention center lot until 6PM (since I'll be arriving early Friday morning) and then I'll drive over to park at the free parking area.

@drallcome
I'm going to park there! :wink: It seems much more safer to park there since there are more levels and I'm guessing they won't check so hard seeing as to how many cars there are there. The one near the convention center seems much more guarded and dangerous. :shock:

Again thank you for your help!

~~~~~~~~~~~
I know that the Marriot charges $21 a day as someone kindly confirmed for us a few posts back, but what about if you are only going to park there for about 8-9 hours? Would it be cheaper to park at the convention center? (I don't need in/out priv.)

drallcome

Shure..NP.. I deal with driveing and parking for my job.
Fanime Member since 1999

ININ

Quote from: "lolitadesu"
I know that the Marriot charges $21 a day as someone kindly confirmed for us a few posts back, but what about if you are only going to park there for about 8-9 hours? Would it be cheaper to park at the convention center? (I don't need in/out priv.)

Yes, park at the convention center.  It's $10.00 flat fee.

Here's a thought.  If you know someone staying at either the Marriott or Hilton, ask them for the in/out parking pass.  I'm guessing hotel guests get a reduced parking fee.  *Hee, hee*

lolitadesu

^
I'm already staying at the Marriot... :?  Hahaha so I'm not sure how that works.