Is it True?

Started by EvilBunnyKid, May 10, 2006, 01:37:00 PM

EvilBunnyKid

Here you can post about rumors that you have heard and find out if they are true or not.  :P

Is it true that Fanime may be moving to a new location next year? (2007)  My friend says that the location changes every 4 years and I just want to know if its true.  If so than where is the new location, if it has even been decided yet?

I also heard that Deter may not come back at all to Fanime, and that he is only going to Yaoi con.  Is this true as well?

RyuHayabusa

No, for the 1st rumor. They have signed a lease with the SJCC till 2010 I think(someone clarify this for me).

and as for the 2nd Rumor, he may make a "surprise" appearance this year, but don't quote me on that.  :wink:
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Tuplica

2010... well, that's good to know.  If Fanime did move, I wonder where it'd go... the SJ con center is so massive, are there any locally that are actually any bigger?  :shock:

No Dieter...?   :cry:
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

serajwl

I already miss Deiter ;-;

I was dissappointed that he wouldnt be hosting the first ever Masquerade that I would actually be partaking in....

I hope it Doesnt change location... I like it right where it is!

drallcome

If fanime grows by 4X or so it be Moscone center in San Francisco for that size.
Fanime Member since 1999

otakuya

I hope we (FC) don't go to Moscone IMO. FC is a South Bay convention and it should stay. San Fran already has their cons: JTAF and AOD. Moscone is already way to hard to access, being downtown SF and all.

If FC does grow too much for the SJCC, maybe the HP Pavilion? It can hold well over 10,000.

If HP is too big/expensive, then probably programming rooms at St. Claire and Crown Plaza Hotels. It would encourage outside roaming around downtown SJ. Tech Museum could show anime on IMAX. Parkside Hall at the Tech could also hold some workshops/panels. The Center for the Performing Arts can also be used too.

Eri

If we move out of San Jose, it'll be due to the fact we're at least 15,000-20,000 people.. At that point, we'll probably have maxed out every hotel in a a couple mile radius of the convention center, and not to mention we'll overstuff the convention center itself.

When you get to con this year, imagine twice the amount of people in there. I think you'll agree we'll need to move :P
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

FanFicGuru

Well, 2010 is still a little ways away...

but, I am curious, Staff, have you guys discussed this and have you looked at any other places to house the Convention, as the point that was brought up earlier (The SJCC is the biggest thing around for the most part) is indeed valid?

Maybe it would be more exclusive. Oooooo...
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

MisakiFan41

Quote from: "Otakuya"If FC does grow too much for the SJCC, maybe the HP Pavilion? It can hold well over 10,000.

HP Pavilion is the arena, not a convention center lol

although it would be cool though to have a ice skating rink at a anime convention XD

On yet another break....

Tuplica

Well, that was partially why I asked; I don't know what the exact numbers are on the growth factor for Fanime, but we're talking about four more years after this convention at that center at the least... Just wondering if, as mentioned jokingly, if there'll really be enough con space/hotel space if the number continues to rise for the next few years.  Hm.

SF would have its ups and downs, IMO, but it could be pretty chaotic in regards to housing... Hotels are pretty outrageously expensive in SF, I wonder if the con would be able to get the same approximate low rates for attendees?

QuoteI already miss Deiter ;-;

I was dissappointed that he wouldnt be hosting the first ever Masquerade that I would actually be partaking in....

NO DIETER?!   :shock:   ...nooooo... But Dieter's so awesome...  He's the reason I keep going to the Der Cosplay... which I guess will now just be known as the Masquerade again...   :cry:
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Tony

Rumors? Well...

I've heard hushed whispers that Dieter may return to host the masquerade...

I've walked in on conversations that the convention will overflow all neighboring hotels and parking structures by 2008...

... though we are indeed contracted with the SJCC for a few more years...

I've got a ton of secrets about people that wanted to get into MusicFest, but it makes me sad, so I won't talk about it...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

gmontem

Any rumors about me that have been floating around?
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

Tuplica

*_*  I love the gossip.  It makes Fanime feel like some deranged family or long-time soap opera.

EvilBunnyKid

This is kinda cool hearing about all the chatter and rumors going around Im glad that I started this Thread:P  

Keep them coming!!

otakuya

If attendance starts to dip (yeah, like it will....), I hope we can go back to the SCCC (Santa Clara Con Center). It has a lot of nostalgic (sp?) value to many Fanimecon-goers that has been with this organization since before the anime boom in America: 1999-2000 ish.

SCCC kinda reminds me of Tokyo Big Sky Convention Center. You know, Comiket/Comic Party.  :P

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Otakuya"SCCC kinda reminds me of Tokyo Big Sky Convention Center. You know, Comiket/Comic Party.  :P

You're also forgetting Genshiken's take on the con -- ComiFes. 8D
epic progressive

vox

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "EvilBunnyKid"Here you can post about rumors that you have heard and find out if they are true or not.  :P

Is it true that Fanime may be moving to a new location next year? (2007)  My friend says that the location changes every 4 years and I just want to know if its true.  If so than where is the new location, if it has even been decided yet?

I also heard that Deter may not come back at all to Fanime, and that he is only going to Yaoi con.  Is this true as well?

Howdy...  I wouldn't worry about us leaving town just yet... Seems we have contracts signed out to the year 2012 and contracts with the hotels until 2009.

However, we will fill out the local hotels probably by next year, 2007, or as late as 2008.  Than we will look at the Fairmont, which will add about 800 rooms for us.  That should hold us until 2011, maybe 2012.

What will the attendance numbers look like by than?  Good question, probably around 25,000.  What will we do for hotel space after that point...  Look at hotels along the light rail, like the Hyatt and the Doubletree...  Yes, I know that BayCon has the Doubletree...  We will deal with it when the time comes, until than, I'm not worry about it....

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

otakuya

Heh, FanimeCon at the Fairmont. Sounds expensive.

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "Otakuya"Heh, FanimeCon at the Fairmont. Sounds expensive.

They will have the same pricing as the other hotels or we will bypass them and move on to the DoubleTree...

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016