What kind of work positions are open for volunteers?

Started by multi-track drifting!!, May 17, 2006, 10:36:26 PM

multi-track drifting!!

Please read the signature guidelines located here: http://www.fanime.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3456

Tony

Well, we're all volunteers, technically... there won't be openings until after the con for these positions (which we call staff).

But when we refer to "volunteers" or "vols", we mean members that have already registered and paid, and are then volunteering time at the convention in order to get a refund.

Some volunteers are dedicated. They do one specific job. It's like being staff, but you have to pay first.

Most volunteers are not - they do whatever needs to be done. That can mean watching doors (so that no one can go in or out), moving things around, relaying messages... all kinds of things. (I've never been an at-con vol myself, so maybe someone else will come and explain it better.)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Shi_Musouka

It usually ranges from watching the doors in the dealers room, moving equipment, and registration to handling screening room projectors. There's more, but this is probably the gist of what I can recall from my volunteer experience.

edit: The Fanime Antagonite Fashion Show are also requesting volunteers to help out for Saturday so that'll be an event that volunteers can sign up for.

When I volunteered for last year, I went over to this one volunteer office where we had a list of jobs to pick from as well as shifts and number of people needed for each shift. Of course I registered at the convention with my anime club so I did this after registration was taken care of. If you're dropping in for one day, you can always leave your stuff over at the volunteer office where the staffer can watch over it as you do your shift and basically enjoy the convention with the time that you won't be using to help out.

If you're a volunteer, the minimum hours for reimbursement is reduced compared to staff's requirements so volunteers just need 20 hours(5 hrs/day) to reimburse a full registration and 5 for a one-day pass while staff need 24(6 hrs/day).

Croquet

And so if I want to be a volunteer, I just show up when I get to the convention? I don't need to sign up first? I'm 19, so I don't need a waiver, but there's nothing to sign up for in advance?
Let's play
some Croquet!

Shi_Musouka

You can't really sign up for anything unless you have a volunteer badge. There's a volunteer registration booth at the convention so after you pay for registration at the volunteer registration booth, they'll give you your badge and tell you where you need to go to sign up for a shift. The volunteer office should have a list up for you. I dunno if they changed the volunteer process this year, but it should be similar to that. I don't have much details on the stuff, but you can always ask registration/volunteer staff about it.

MonkeyRikku

I've volunteered at big events before and it was pretty easy. But I've never vol'd at a small event. Most of what I did was supplying staffers with breakfast and keeping them fat and happy.

Is there any way you could give a brief idea of what specific jobs there are?
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.