Dance Revolution, Konami and CBS' Saturday Morning DDR Show!

Started by lying is an art form, May 18, 2006, 05:45:25 PM

lying is an art form

http://www.konami.com/gs/newsarticle.php?id=835

Enough said.

If you're too lazy to click on that, here's the brief summary:

Konami has signed a deal with CBS and DIC for CBS' Saturday Mornign cartoons. The show will be called "Dance Revolution" and features "tweens and teens" playing DDR against each other, most likely in a "freestyle" competition.

Also, the show will "Show you the moves" each week as they break a move down step by step.

This means:

1. More and more newbies at DDR
2. Freestyling will need to get even more(?) innovative
3. They went in with this plan like five years too late =/
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

deepbluevibes

lying is an art form

lol I'm not gonna flame you for that, I totally agree with where you're coming from.

At my local arcade, before their DDR got removed and their old one was pending repairs, there would be a boatload of newbies weekend after weekend just going there and playing.  Nobody even bothered to ask what that ITG2 machine right next to it was, let alone play it.

I've only been playing since November 2002, and still can't do Max300 without killing my stamina issues. I think that's why I'm still playing DDR, to boost my stamina.

I'd love to see something impossible to beat on DDR, but right now at "my" level I can't even imagine doing Maxx Unlimited, PSM/O, Legend, etc. so I don't really have a problem until I can consistently beat them without running out of breath halfway.

But I don't think it'll matter to me because I prefer "fun" songs over stamina killers anyday =P
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

OniCourseMusha

The freestyle is pretty nice.
But I wish if they can just add PA competition as well....

PIU is also really hard.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

deepbluevibes

serajwl

Konami wasnt orginally going to even come out with supernova, I heard.

And i dont buy that "mainstream" shit. Basically everyone on the face of the earth has already heard or seen DDR. They'll watch the show then try to freestyle, thinking that it's easy, then give up when they find out that it's harder than it looks. Expecially if they plan on putting it on CBS. Nobody watches CBS that I know of that's not 7 years old. Actually, i'd do the exact same thing if I was Konami. It would be a great marketing ploy to get people to buy their games as well as products from affiliated companies (Redoctane).

It wont turn to crap because it goes "Mainstream." It will always be our DDR.

As for this whole "DDR needs harder songs" stuff, I dont think it really matters. If they really want harder songs, they will play ITG. However, why would you completely ditch playing DDR? They removed DDR Extreme from our arcade, and replaced it with ITG2. ITG2 is great an all, a challenge, but I miss those old classics that DDR provided. You know, Holic, Sakura, the Maxx series, Rhythm and Police, all that stuff.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "serajwl"Konami wasnt orginally going to even come out with supernova, I heard.

Many people do see the release of SuperNOVA as a direct effect of ITG and ITG2 having been released. However, Konami did create the concept that Roxor now profits from.

In short, in the present, without DDR, there would be no ITG; without ITG, there would be no DDR.

Quote from: "serajwl"It wont turn to crap because it goes "Mainstream." It will always be our DDR.

It's not crap now, but when a whole Mario Mix comes out, I end up having rather bad premonitions...:lol:

-=-

I also do totally know where you're coming from, Blue - this was the reason I started playing IIDX, for the challenge of being tied (with Pop'n) for being the hardest music game ever. I still haven't AAAed a song on Light7 -- that's replay value for you right there.

I think Konami's suffering because there is no drastic change in difficulty to keep up with the times. If this was released six months after Extreme, it'd be perfect.
epic progressive

vox

gmontem

Konami needs to innovate and bring BDR -- Ballroom Dance Revolution!  Then Sony later files a lawsuit because the name's too similar to their recordable Blu-Ray format,  BD-R.
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

deepbluevibes

serajwl

And you are showing me this estimation of DDR popularity in your town because...?

A videogame that has not changed cannot turn to crap. It is still the original dancing game. Just because we have cell block shading, doesnt mean that old 8-bit graphic games have turned to crap. People still love those ones too.

BUT. Spirit did make a point about the Mario Mix thing. Turning mainstream wont make it bad, their need to constanly come up with new marketing ploys will.

They should have stopped while they were ahead.

I guess I'm just glad for supernova because now our local arcades will be finally putting DDR back in it's rightful case.

And besides, why are we so worried about this? I even feel dumb arguing about it because what do I care if you guys think I'm lame for playing DDR instead of ITG or something. I'm an anime nerd, I already don't care what people think.

otakuya

The concept of DDR hasen't changed, and so has the fan base. Those who want to play it, will play it their way. MGL, SVGL, EHGL, and the other original arcades for DDR didn't lose their regulars because of DDR's age. I know a few people from MGL who wants to try and bring DDR back to it's roots: back when there are huge freestyle tournaments, PA, and very long lines waiting to play.

As for the TV show, I don't think it would make much of a difference. Super Mario had a TV show way back, and the Mario franchise is still alive. Sonic the Hedgehog and MegaMan, too.

DDR is just like Tetris, revolutionary. Why do you think almost every arcade in the US has at least 1 music game?

And as for FanimeCon and DDR, you'll see in one week....

deepbluevibes

deepbluevibes

Spiritsnare

Quote from: deepbluevibes(removed per privacy policy)

I knew I wasn't the only one who loved that song. <3

Yeah, FFVIII sucked. However, I do believe that FFIX was impeccably produced; same goes for FFX. FFX-2, however, I want to stay away from, and I can't reserve judgement for FFXI. FF Tactics Advance was also quite an interesting departure from the series, but Crystal Chronicles...I prefer to think that CC never existed.

Arcade production? I'm inclined to agree.

However, console releases will exist so long as there is demand for them -- which there is plenty of. Just not by the "hardcore" fanbase -- the guys who have already converted to ITG.

We're sorry, Sonic; your princess is in another castle.
epic progressive

vox

deepbluevibes

OniCourseMusha

And holy shit! Do I really have to hear your guys point of views and opinions?  Do I really care about "what is trash?" and "DDR will never have a comeback".  This gonna end up like another stupid debate over DDR vs. ITG.

U guys remember this: There are people out there that still prefer DDR over PIU and ITG.  There are many people that want it nice and easy.  if it weren't for DDR, we would of have dancing simulators, Stepmania or ITG.  That's why I respect DDR.  DDR is the first step to dancing game if you want it more harder then move it to PIU and ITG.

I seen a DDR machine in Japan 1999 and I got to play one!  I've been playing DDR since 2002 when my city barely got DDR.  I play lots of music games from Bemania and ITG.  You guys ask me why I still play?  I love music genre.  It is true that we only have 2-3 hardcore ddr player exist in Salinas.  But do we really care about how many people still play DDR?  Me and my friends play ITG just to sharpen out our skills and we're waiting for DDR Supernova.  You're not hearing me post, "DDR is crap".  I respect both DDR and ITG.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

deepbluevibes

Spiritsnare

Please cite your source. I personally thought characters were awesome.

I can vouch for this; look at the simfiles everyone's making for Stepmania.
epic progressive

vox

deepbluevibes