State of arcade condition at Fanime 2K6 thread

Started by deepbluevibes, May 25, 2006, 06:23:22 AM

deepbluevibes

Fuchikoma

I only went on Sunday(from about 4:30 to 5:50 pm), so Drummania 10th was up and the Hihat was working fine.

Hopefully next time they'll edit the settings so people don't play 3 Long version songs in a row.

mDuo13

Air Hockey = great.

2 DDR machines = great. Would've been better if they were spaced out from each other and ParaPara by non-music games, and volume turned up a little. Also, why was the left DDR machine 3 songs for $1, while the right one was 4 songs/$1? That's just goofy!

No glare = great. Yes, having the arcade not out in the open was a little bit disappointing compared to previous years, but losing the glare was worth it. Those of you without badges: tough.

Not opening until noon on Friday = lame. The arcade in previous years was ready to go as soon as people started getting there

Asa_Gohan

Well the arcade did disappoint me cause all the games that werent there from last year sigh T_T and the DM V breaking down it was SVGL all over again T_T but it was worth it though it was fun but it just felt wierd since it wasnt out in the open. It felt a little to wide...

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

lyricaldanichan

I really like that catcher machine gimmick there, but kinda sucked that 4 of the lights (to let you know which to pick) didn't work. I still have that OH MY GOD! ringing in my head.. hahahah adddicting. Also kudos for the change machine! I was able to use it for the laundry room in the Hilton! LOL

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: "mDuo13"No glare = great. Yes, having the arcade not out in the open was a little bit disappointing compared to previous years, but losing the glare was worth it. Those of you without badges: tough.
hey man, i have friends who couldn't get in because of this. they're not really into anime, so spending $50 JUST to get inside of an already overpriced arcade would be a total rip-off.

more people = better competition for us + more profit for staff and vendors.

Bullhonkie

Quote from: "HentaiTentacleDemon"
Quote from: "mDuo13"No glare = great. Yes, having the arcade not out in the open was a little bit disappointing compared to previous years, but losing the glare was worth it. Those of you without badges: tough.
hey man, i have friends who couldn't get in because of this. they're not really into anime, so spending $50 JUST to get inside of an already overpriced arcade would be a total rip-off.

more people = better competition for us + more profit for staff and vendors.

Exactly. I could understand an entry fee if the machines were free-play, but at 50 cents a pop - which is already pricy as far as fighting games go - that's a bit ridiculous.

Although it was kind of moot anyway because it got so lax from Saturday onwards that I never even had to show a badge to get in the room. There were also so many other doors leading into that room - I saw people coming and going from those all the time. So in retrospect I didn't mind as much that it was all shoved into one room, but I would've liked to see all that room better used by spacing the machines further apart.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Quote from: "Bullhonkie"Exactly. I could understand an entry fee if the machines were free-play, but at 50 cents a pop - which is already pricy as far as fighting games go - that's a bit ridiculous.

Although it was kind of moot anyway because it got so lax from Saturday onwards that I never even had to show a badge to get in the room. There were also so many other doors leading into that room - I saw people coming and going from those all the time. So in retrospect I didn't mind as much that it was all shoved into one room, but I would've liked to see all that room better used by spacing the machines further apart.

Ya know, it was, literally, E-Gaming's and Arcade's first time(esp Arcades for a while) in a room, together in one room. I think now that we have an idea of how it works in a real deployment, I think we will improve on it, hopefully.

Now, as far as a badge requirement to get into the room - I dont know what I can say about it to be honest. The decision, mostly an upper management call I think, was to continue a requirement thats been standing normally in the E-Gaming room (back when it was normally seperated) and for that, we apologize. For the future, I think this will continue, we'll keep ya guys updated.

For next year, I hope the vender (a kickass one too!) is willing to allow FanimeCon to host Arcade Tournaments once again. It felt a bit wee odd not seeing a DDR tourny at all. Doesn't make sense to have tourny's for only PC's and Consoles lol =P (Now, I say that from a fan's point of view. As a staffer, I will bring it up in future meetings and see how it goes)
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: "Umi.Ryuuzaki"Now, as far as a badge requirement to get into the room - I dont know what I can say about it to be honest. The decision, mostly an upper management call I think, was to continue a requirement thats been standing normally in the E-Gaming room (back when it was normally seperated) and for that, we apologize. For the future, I think this will continue, we'll keep ya guys updated.
keep the arcade seperate from E-Gaming than, if the console/pc area needs to be restricted. if the upper management cares about maximizing profits, then they'll keep the arcade open to the public.

Quote from: "Umi.Ryuuzaki"For next year, I hope the vender (a kickass one too!) is willing to allow FanimeCon to host Arcade Tournaments once again. It felt a bit wee odd not seeing a DDR tourny at all. Doesn't make sense to have tourny's for only PC's and Consoles lol =P (Now, I say that from a fan's point of view. As a staffer, I will bring it up in future meetings and see how it goes)
same as above. tournament would work better if the machines are open to the public. a tournament at $0.50 a game would NOT work. the vendor would have to at least set the game at a normal price ($0.25) for people to want to join.

Asa_Gohan

True I mean making it 50 a game WEAK! They have nothing to lose by making it 25. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

HentaiTentacleDemon

lying is an art form

GOD DAMN YOU ASA GOHAN U HOGGED GITAUR FREAKS BY NIGHT

lol

I got introduced to that game on like Monday of the con by one of my friends... I was on like 25s by the time we left the arcade like an hour later =P

Oh and mDuo, the reason why the arcades didn't open until around noon on Friday was because EGaming had to set up, and we didn't want congoers messing up with our setup routine.

I liked the two DDREX machines, and at first I thought the closeness would kill the sounds but they did a good job and nothing interfered.

I suggest SuperNova and ITG2 (Or 3?!) for next year, maybe a surprise Pump =D

Oh I loved the DDR machine on the right with its coin slots, no more confused DDR players =D
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Asa_Gohan

Damn right I hogged it Im pro at that game =3  well next to my friend who can S a lot of the songs in there O.o

Raydere

Para Para, Maximum Tune 2, MS6, and ESP Galuda FTW.  Setting records on PPP was horribly easy though. And despite having over 5300km of experience my MT2 time attack times still make me wanna cry.

I didn't care for fighting games.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "G.S. LXVIII"Setting records on PPP was horribly easy though..

If you're BBBB, I have a vendetta against you.
epic progressive

vox

Gogetah

"ex; pop'n music was working great, might need to be louder."

Pop'n Music wasn't working great, it was non-existant. :(

I'm glad I got a few decent games of Soul Calibur 2 in before it was changed to 3. It's too bad both games didn't exist at the same time. I prefer the balancing and costumes of 2 over 3.

I hope On Campus Entertainment has a wider range of games available than what was at Fanime. The arcade was pretty much the same as the AX2005 arcade, which I believe also used OCE.

Aznmnky

Quote from: "Bullhonkie"
Also did anyone happen to play my friend Don on CvS Saturday night? He was owning it up. 3+ hours and 40 straight wins on a single session of play. 8)

Lol....I ran a 23 game win streak before he beat me. Then I left for an event and came back to repay the favor....still, crazy ass Kim of his >_< hehe

19 in 3S, 23 in CvS2, 35 in MvC2....man, 50 cents a game, just cant afford to lose you know....-_-

Ended up with a leg cramp that lasted for 2 days cuz the seats weren't high enough so I had to play standing the whole time...:cry:

Hm...some suggestions for next year....ehhhh

1) same vendor :D
2) stools or heightened seats
3) make arcade be available for public (more profit + competition)
4) $0.25 for fighting games!!...especially for MvC2!!....omg, that game goes by so freaking fast it's not even funny for the players who get demolished in like less than 10 seconds.
5) have tournaments! >_< (that is, if you get the A-OK from OCE)

The only problem I can see about holding tournaments is you dont want it to overlap with the main Fanime events. So, the hosts might want to manage some sort of schedule for that. HTD (Phuc), I'm looking at you man...if you gonna be a staff for gaming next year, hit me up cuz I probably wanna help, but not be a staff, with organizing and running tourneys for the fighting games if you need. Alright, that is all. LATE  :lol:

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Aznmnky"3) make arcade be available for public (more profit + competition)

Even with the two upsides you mentioned, I don't see that happening at all. Sorry.

edit Allow me to explain myself.

I'd imagine that a small part of the money made from registration is used to offset the cost of contracting OCE. If you make it open to the public, the many people who register and play games will just end up playing games. It's profit for OCE, but a loss for Fanime.

I think they would've done that by now if it meant more profit. Same with the Dealers' Hall. Maybe even the Fanarts Center/Artists' Row.
epic progressive

vox

Emerge

guilty gear xx/ is the new sex. nuff said.

Ohsu

Um...I think their prices were fine...50c on all the fighting games were a good choice...they need to make up money and such...and ppl WILL play it, whether it's MvC2 or CvS2 or other old games.
俺の名を言ってみろ!