Fanime 2006-Feedback Thread

Started by RyuHayabusa, May 29, 2006, 05:27:15 PM

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Nyxyin"Those judges totally rocked, and I hope they come back and do the same thing next year.  I know they said who they were before they gave the awards, but I didn't write it down.  Can someone post that information please?

Wayne Kaa, Wayne Carter, Jenny Newman, and Chrissy Jaio

Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: "EternalMalachi"Which was the skit that won for best comedy?

It was the "yaoi" Hughes x Mustang skit (from Fullmetal Alchemist).

You can see all the awards here:
http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=4984

milkmandan

Quote from: "Blue-Six"There's Yaoi, and then there's...Yaoi?
This was my #1 gripe all con-long (and still is now).  Yaoi.  Yes, it's popular - understatement of the year - but for the love of all that is chibi, remember that there is this other genre called Yuri.  :shock: I could lay on the floor in the Dealer's Room, spin myself in a circle, and still be facing a vendor that had Yaoi, but I would have to hunt (and I did) to find anything Yuri.  Even some of the vendors were disappointed that there wasn't any - and this isn't just the DL; there wasn't really any viewing rooms or the like for it.  I personally would be happy to get something up and running for the next Fanimecon, and even if I couldn't, it would be worth a shot.
I third this. Yuri probably holds a larger fan base anyways.
Hmmm..if Yuri is allowed i wonder if loli will ever get a part in Fanime Con.
Then again there is always Yuricon (w/ lolicon for that).

Quote from: "mDuo13"
Also, I remembered a few other things:
Video Rooms 6 & 7: Having projectors instead of TVs was great. Unfortunately, those rooms have rather low ceilings, so when anyone of somewhat average height or taller sat down, everyone behind him or her completely lost sight of the subtitles. It was extremely frustrating. I also encountered video problems in rooms 6 and 7 more than once: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha had terrible playback issues. It was like the file was corrupted, because it kept looping back, displaying artifacts, and stuff. Also, I went to see Hitsuji no Uta, and they didn't have the DVD at all, so they just showed more School Rumble. Okay, I have nothing against School Rumble, but it's a lot easier to find than HnU! Oh, also, I was upset when at 6am in Video Room 1, Macross came on instead of Haibane Renmei. I was hoping so bad for it, too!
The Nanoha showing prob just had a bad DVD format encode from fansub.  Which fansubs did they use?  Triad?  AIR turned out fine.

Quote from: "mDuo13"
AMV Contest: I loved the "24" theme, and overall the preparedness of the presentation was excellent, as it was last year. However... the showing itself was really disappointing compared to last year! Was it that the judges picked the wrong finalists, or were the entries really just that much weaker than last year? No offense to anyone who entered this year, but last year's Das Omen, Apocalypse Now, Vash the Desperado, the Patlabor one, 2525, Muppet Hunter D, 1985, Lord of the Yen, AMG Darkness, and company completely blew this year's showing out of the water. What the hell?
Yes, last years was better.  I guess you can't have great AMVs all the time :\ but this years was good but just not as good as last years

E-Chan

Quote from: "milkmandan"
Quote from: "Blue-Six"There's Yaoi, and then there's...Yaoi?
This was my #1 gripe all con-long (and still is now).  Yaoi.  Yes, it's popular - understatement of the year - but for the love of all that is chibi, remember that there is this other genre called Yuri.  :shock: I could lay on the floor in the Dealer's Room, spin myself in a circle, and still be facing a vendor that had Yaoi, but I would have to hunt (and I did) to find anything Yuri.  Even some of the vendors were disappointed that there wasn't any - and this isn't just the DL; there wasn't really any viewing rooms or the like for it.  I personally would be happy to get something up and running for the next Fanimecon, and even if I couldn't, it would be worth a shot.
I third this. Yuri probably holds a larger fan base anyways.
Hmmm..if Yuri is allowed i wonder if loli will ever get a part in Fanime Con.
Then again there is always Yuricon (w/ lolicon for that).
I've just got to say, in response to this point. I don't object to Yuri, I know a lot of people really like it, but the reason we have Yaoi is because the Yaoi-Con ladies come down and the fangirls (and fanboys) are insane... essentially, the fans make the market.

(I'm not sure where you actually stand on the "Loli" bit, but I'm throwing my two cents toward that comment as well.)

And Fanime attempts to be a family con. No offense meant, but if we show loli yuri then it's going to freak out a lot of parents and we run the risk of scaring off much of our younger fan base.

Essentially, what I'm saying... is that I know we may already have a Loli fan base at Fanime, but having Loli Yuri could easily encourage them to act out a bit. And honestly, I don't like the idea of some of the Loli fans being around the younger children we can get at con. (Yes, I am aware that liking that particular genre does not automatically make you a child molester or anything of the sort, but I think that is a valid concern nonetheless).

That's all I really wanted to say about that.
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

Leishu

I agree completely with E-chan on all counts in this case. Showing 'Lolicon' items, which are a form of Hentai which is often not legal to show in public places because it involves sex with underage individuals, has really no place at Fanime.
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

PogiChoie

Quote from: "Leishu"I agree completely with E-chan on all counts in this case. Showing 'Lolicon' items, which are a form of Hentai which is often not legal to show in public places because it involves sex with underage individuals, has really no place at Fanime.

On a non-serious note, it is amusing to see some warnings on hentai movie and game sported over to the US that say "The characters depicted are all 18 and older"...

... Not that I buy that kind of stuff.

mkaida

Artist Alley

First of all I want to thank all of you that attended the Artist Alley this year.  I'm glad that you all had a good time and were all very lenient on me, this being my first year.  That being said next year I have all the reason to make the Artist Alley a much better experience.  Thank you for all your comments and suggestions; they will be most helpful for making the Alley much much better in the years to come.  We will work very hard to make the Alley much more visible next year.

Thank you for attending FanimeCon 2006 and we'll see you in 07!

~ Masato
For info on the Artist Row email:

[email protected]

rctan9

One suggestion: Don't ever make the Tabletop gaming room that small ever again lol.

Blue-Six

Quote from: "E-Chan"And Fanime attempts to be a family con. No offense meant, but if we show loli yuri then it's going to freak out a lot of parents and we run the risk of scaring off much of our younger fan base.

While I'm for having Yuri at Fanimecon, I agree with you on that - s'obvious not everything is okay for the general public/younger audiences.  That's why I think that if/when Yuri is "introduced", it should be in a reasonable amount at first, rather than pummeling the masses with it.  :P
"The speckle of light present in enclosed darkness."
Fanimecon '10 Volunteers Staff
[Tousen or Bust!]

Nausicaa

AMV CONTEST

I just wanted to say thank you to Scott for how incredibly smooth the AMV contest went this year.  It actually started ON TIME, the editing was excellent, no AMVS were lost/misplaced;  I was extremely impressed!!  Oh, and the links to the winners are already up, too!  THANK YOU, SCOTT!

E-Chan

Quote from: "Blue-Six"
Quote from: "E-Chan"And Fanime attempts to be a family con. No offense meant, but if we show loli yuri then it's going to freak out a lot of parents and we run the risk of scaring off much of our younger fan base.

While I'm for having Yuri at Fanimecon, I agree with you on that - s'obvious not everything is okay for the general public/younger audiences.  That's why I think that if/when Yuri is "introduced", it should be in a reasonable amount at first, rather than pummeling the masses with it.  :P
I'm not against Yuri itself-- we have Hentai and Yaoi rooms, it'd be hypocritical to say no to Yuri just for being adult. I was objecting more to the Loli portion.
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

Blue-Six

Quote from: "E-Chan"
Quote from: "Blue-Six"

I'm not against Yuri itself-- we have Hentai and Yaoi rooms, it'd be hypocritical to say no to Yuri just for being adult. I was objecting more to the Loli portion.

Mm, gotcha.  (I keep reflexively wanting to use deviantART's emotes. :oops: )
[Tousen or Bust!]

asianfilm

Not to sway this conversation off the whole yaoi/yuri debate (which is really a can of worms I'd like to stay far, far away from), did anyone here catch the film Welcome to Dongmakgol on Saturday in Asian Film 1? It was a film about some soldiers that end up in a magical mountain village? It was on at 10PM on Saturday.

I'd really like to know if anyone was able to catch that film, and what the response to that film was. Thanks.
Brandon Tomyoy
Manager, Fanime Asian Film
Stage Zero Personality

phr34kish

Quote from: "rctan9"One suggestion: Don't ever make the Tabletop gaming room that small ever again lol.

Amen to that. Just walking by that room with the door open was enough to make people's skin melt off...

Someone needs to go in there with the mega-phone and repeat the message "SOAP IS YOUR FRIEND"

No offense to anyone in there of course. <3

Oopymmas2

Quote from: "phr34kish"
Quote from: "rctan9"One suggestion: Don't ever make the Tabletop gaming room that small ever again lol.

Amen to that. Just walking by that room with the door open was enough to make people's skin melt off...

Someone needs to go in there with the mega-phone and repeat the message "SOAP IS YOUR FRIEND"

No offense to anyone in there of course. <3

Oddly enough, that was so true. Good thing I didn't stay TOO long in there... But yeah, the room was much too small to do a magic draft...and of course, it smelled like...BO...but so did the "rave."

KitsuneOniko

Hey all! Oniko here! ^_~ Yes, Oniko from Stage Zero... I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on Fanime Con's first ever Stage Zero show. It was crazie tho I tell you for those of us workin on it XP Sooooo many things kept happenin all at once throughout the entire con and kept us Stage Zero Staff busy ^^; In anycase, I rather had a lot of fun, tho it was way tiring (I'm sure you all could tell huh? When I was up there I bet I always looked a mess XDD) In anycase, I just wanted to say that the rap things seemed outta place to me too... a lot of the stuff that happened was kind of jumped on some of us hosts and hostesses last minute folks so please don't get mad at all of us for the hecticness and randomness that surrounded the stage o.O But other than that, you all seemed to like the AMVs the music videos, the updates on what's goin around the con on the hour every hour ^_^ (I was approached by a lot of con goers who said it was very useful), also the competitions and giving out of prizes and free stuff (Who doesn't like that? XD) and so forth ^_^ Keep the suggestions comin folks ok?  :D
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

KitsuneOniko

Oh yeah, and while we are on the topic of yuri being included in Fanime... well those who really know me well know that I am all up for that ^^ I agree with blue-six AND E-chan... Tho the loli thing does seem to be pushin things... but if you think about it, yaoi is already made known and seems to be more acceptable for some reason... plus I dunno if it's just me but I notice a whole lot of shota too... ;>.> Don't want to get into politics of it all here XP Tho why is it that yaoi and shounen-ai and shota are way more accepted than yuri, shoujo-ai, n the like?
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

Blue-Six

Yeah, I can see where E-Chan is coming from and agree with her, in case people didn't think I was.  :P And it's not really a debate, since even if Yuri was/wasn't included, I can't see Yaoi going anywhere (it's got a *very* dedicated fanbase at con and elsewhere). XD  I'm just the kind of person who's willing to take some action and help work something out with the staff instead of twiddle my fingers around and only half-heartedly suggest.  8)

Not to say none of you would, but, yeah.  :D
[Tousen or Bust!]

Glitch

Enjoyed fanime immensely.The asian film rooms never disappoint me.(I was always late for the movies,but my fault,not theirs.)

The dealers room was more or less the same.Except I liked those kung fu jackets that were being sold.

Artist alley:pros and cons to that.They made the center of the con more lively,but at the same time I was glad I could go into big room to see them all.

One big complaint I can't let go.Some of the viewing rooms didn't have the schedules up outside the doors.Which meant we didn't know if their had been a change in schedule.I came into one room expecting one thing and seeing another.Especially at stage zero.We had to ask the staff working there why who's line is it anime? was playing instead of 3minute video.

And speaking of that,3minute was pretty much given the death sentence of 10:00 am monday morning.It was only 4 other people watching with me.I think something being tested out like this would deserve a better time.

Overall,good con.And I hope you guys are able to fix these problems.

darkstar

One point to Lawyer Girl:

I'm sure you didn't have one of these signs, but I saw quite a number of "HUG ME!" signs from the ladies.

Given the stereotypical lack of social grace of an otaku, some of them probably took it as open season.