Fanime 2006-Feedback Thread

Started by RyuHayabusa, May 29, 2006, 05:27:15 PM

KitsuneOniko

Quote from: "Glitch"One big complaint I can't let go.Some of the viewing rooms didn't have the schedules up outside the doors.Which meant we didn't know if their had been a change in schedule.I came into one room expecting one thing and seeing another.Especially at stage zero.We had to ask the staff working there why who's line is it anime? was playing instead of 3minute video.

And speaking of that,3minute was pretty much given the death sentence of 10:00 am monday morning.It was only 4 other people watching with me.I think something being tested out like this would deserve a better time.

Overall,good con.And I hope you guys are able to fix these problems.

As part of Stage Zero staff I really must apologize for that ^^; Us hosts and hostesses were all tossed around a lot at the con this year since A LOT of the program scheduling was tossed about... we didn't know that a lot of these changes were going to happen.... they jus kinda hit us with all these changes WAAAAAAY last minute XP We'd be up on stage about to do our thing and what our original program schedule said when all of a sudden someone would come up to us and tell us a change had been made ^^; If you were really watchin stage zero all of you guys out there XD You will know that happened A LOT remember? ^^; "So anyways folks, next up we...eh? o.O Oh! ^^; Looks like we've yet ANOTHER guest with an announcement once again....(Oy vey...)"
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

timemaiden

I'm sorry if I'm repeating some points. I don't have time or patience to read through the other entries...

Pre-Registration: I always wonder why don't you guys put the pre-reg badges in order of the registration number. It would be a lot easier to pull out that 90 people pre-reg group. Not only, you won't mistaken some badges.. some people have the same names. It would be very bad if one Stephanie Ho had picked up another badge that actually belonged to another Stephanie Ho. (sorry if that didn't make sense.. =-=;;) But I was actually surprised as to how fast they got the badges for my group though. Last year it took me 45 minutes to pick up 60 badges. This year it only took an hour for 90 people. :D

Schedule: I had a horrible time reading the schedules. Because of that I missed a lot of programming that I would have loved to attend. I think the format of the schedule was great.. it was just the font size that pissed the hell out of me.

Swap Meet: I think the swap meet was great this year. O_O It was open on Thursday as well! Yay!

Dealers Room: it seems like there were less dealers this year. I also don't like how the layout was for the booths this year. When the dealers are lined up by rows, it seems like there are more of them. aka. maybe put Gaia and that other dealer at the back of the room. It creates an illusion that there are more dealers. It also seems like it is getting harder to bargain/haggle with the dealers. T-T There weren't a lot of dealers selling artbooks either. There was only one dealer that I saw that was selling sheet music...

Stage Zero: I think this is a great idea. But I couldn't see much of what was on the screen.

The MusicFest was absolutely great. I just wish that there was a larger crowd. They certainly deserved a larger crowd. I also thought that the techs were going to do something interesting with the lighting this year. T-T the lighting was really boring this year. last year was even more so for the lighting. at least this year the lighting did change... a bit. Other than that... I think you should invite these artists again! :] I enjoyed their performance.

Masquerade: I don't have much problems with walk ons. I just wish that the camera dude for the huge projector would zoom up(at least a little bit more) on them some more... that way I can see the details of the costumes... x_x (my poor eyes)

There was also a horrible smoking problem at Fanime this year? I dunno, it might have been just me, but I just felt that they could have controlled where people were smoking at...

Yeah. I think that was about it. Other than the fact that I felt like there were no lines this year. o-O I was totally surprised at the dealers room line... it was so short! Ramen and Rice wasn't there either.. (boohoo! .. and yes I know why they weren't there. T-T)

timemaiden

Oh yeah. did the quality of the mics this year for the music fest down grade? o_o or is that just me?

Rey-Rey

Yeah, I was one of the hosts of Stage Zero.  And I was also one of the appointed Stage Ninjas at the Masquerade.  Yes, I was the one with the beanie.

Stage Zero is a GREAT idea but, as Oniko mentioned, it was a barrage of changes that were thrown at us and we were just like, "What?  Are you serious?"  The people behind-the-scenes will probably implement more of an open schedule for Stage Zero.

I hope everyone had a great time.  Keep up with the feedback.

KitsuneOniko

Quote from: "Rey-Rey"Yeah, I was one of the hosts of Stage Zero.  And I was also one of the appointed Stage Ninjas at the Masquerade.  Yes, I was the one with the beanie.

Stage Zero is a GREAT idea but, as Oniko mentioned, it was a barrage of changes that were thrown at us and we were just like, "What?  Are you serious?"  The people behind-the-scenes will probably implement more of an open schedule for Stage Zero.

I hope everyone had a great time.  Keep up with the feedback.

I know Kuya! XD EVERYTIME remember? lol We be about to do our thing when  :shock: EH?!! Again? Another cancellation? another change? XDD

Rey-Rey

"Let's toss T-Shirts... wait, we have an announcement!"
"Let's play this AMV... Bran, what are you doing here?  Asian Film Announcement?"
"Next, we have... oh, we have an announcement."
"I have to go pee.  Wait, before I go pee, we have an announcement."

KitsuneOniko

"Next up we have a lil game with prizes for you all---eh? :shock: ANOTHER announcement? ^^;"

Rey-Rey

"By the way, I'm dying from cancer.  But who cares about that?!  We have an announcement to make!"

risingphoenix13

I had a wonderful time this year. This was my first Fanime (but not my first convention, I've been to and helped run two games at Dundracon). And I had a blast.

I really enjoyed the Asian cinema and the pannel. I was thrilled to see that you were showing the Vengance Trilogy. I loved Oldboy but haven't had the oppourtunity to see the other two (Sympthay for Mr. Vengance and Lady Vengance). I could go on forever about the reasons why I appreciate Chan-wook Park directing style, but I'll leave that for another time. I also really enjoyed the programme that was on before it (I don't quite remember the name).

I also enjoyed the fact that there was adult entertainment. It was cool that there was something that caters to an older crowd. Yaoi Bingo, Bishi Pictionary... Those were fun. And I aloved how the lines were handled for Hentai/Yaoi nights.

However, nothing goes off without a hitch. I had a minor quibble.

Me and my BF were waiting in line for 2 hours on Saturday. While I understand that Saturday was the first full day of the Con, maybe they could have some extra registration booths to help expedite the line a bit faster. Also, while waiting in line (an hour in to the wait) there was someone with a megaphone talking about pre-registering. That's great, I love the idea of not having to wait to get in... but it was mentioned 2-3 times within a 20-30 min. span while we weren't moving. While that'll help next year, it didn't really help for those who were getting frustrated for having waited that long already.

But, mind you... that didn't sully my Con. I had a great time. Me and my BF are talking about coming next year...

Thanks for a wonderful Con.

KitsuneOniko

My one lil other complaint about the con this year was the wait for our staff badges o.O It got pushed back like 2-3 hours XP Does any other staff member know what happened? ^^; Other than that I rather enjoyed the con during my shor breaks that I could get off from Stage Zero XD Met lots of cute girls too this year ^_^ So teh Oni is supremely happy!

LawyerGirl

Quote from: "darkstar"One point to Lawyer Girl:

I'm sure you didn't have one of these signs, but I saw quite a number of "HUG ME!" signs from the ladies.

Given the stereotypical lack of social grace of an otaku, some of them probably took it as open season.
Really?  Well, then, I apologize.  I didn't see any of those signs from girls.  If you've got a sign then I guess you want to be hugged, but I didn't, and it was a little disconcerting to be hugged/kissed by strangers out of the blue!  :P

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "EternalMalachi"
Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"
Quote from: "EternalMalachi"Masquerade:
Video Programming:
Not too thrilled this year.  There were a couple Asian Live Action shows I enjoyed, but no much in the way of animé.  I'm guessing something happened where fansub animé is no longer allowed to be played?  Two years ago I was running from room to room all day to catch new animé I wanted to check out.  Was much more laid back w/ only a couple shows I had to catch.  This year, however, there were only 2 shows I wanted to see: one was the Shadow Chronicles preview that I missed because I was feeling ill, and the second was a typo on the schedule.  -,-`  All the rest of the animé that played was basically stuff I can just borrow from friends.  *shrugs*
[

We had fansubs running from video 1-8 which is spread out in the hotels and convention center. It sounds like you only watched the videos in the Marriot instead of going out in the CC (specifically across the marriot) and the Hilton.

What is strange about your complaint is that you have allready seen fansubs from your friends but then saying oh we are not showing them at fanime? HUH?

LOL

Maybe I did miss it.  I spent a couple hours over the con looking through the schedule to find things to watch, but kept seeing shows that were already released out here.  Berserk, Bubblegum Crisis, Kenshin, Akira, Guyver, Gankutsuou, Jin Roh, Tetsujin 28.  I don't know, I guess the licensed stuff popped out more, though it may be that I couldn't actually read a lot of the names on the Sunday/Monday schedule....

We had a mix of anime but we did show a lot of fansubs. I am suprised you didn't check the program guide because the map shows all the video rooms inside the cover page.

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: "LawyerGirl"Cons:
* Random gentlemen.  Please stop asking for hugs and trying to kiss me in the hallways if I DO NOT KNOW YOU.  

When this happen to me I asked the guy:

Would you like me to kick you in the balls?

They then go to the next person and make sure to avoid me for the rest of their life. Hmm I guess that is a good thing :O !!!!

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "LawyerGirl"

I'm sure you didn't have one of these signs, but I saw quite a number of "HUG ME!" signs from the ladies.

Given the stereotypical lack of social grace of an otaku, some of them probably took it as open season.
Really?  Well, then, I apologize.  I didn't see any of those signs from girls.  If you've got a sign then I guess you want to be hugged, but I didn't, and it was a little disconcerting to be hugged/kissed by strangers out of the blue!  :P

I saw about a 50/50 on girls and guys.  Thankfully I didn't see even a fraction of as many this year than years past.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

fullmetalneko

Quote from: "LawyerGirl"

No kidding I'm sure that would be quite a pisser.  >.<   Though often I don't agree with dani's quick turn to violence though in that case id suggest a quick punch or kick to the sensitive bits would be in order.  (Id say kick to the nuts but sometimes its girls hugging girls.)
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

E-Chan

Quote from: "KitsuneOniko"My one lil other complaint about the con this year was the wait for our staff badges o.O It got pushed back like 2-3 hours XP Does any other staff member know what happened? ^^; Other than that I rather enjoyed the con during my shor breaks that I could get off from Stage Zero XD Met lots of cute girls too this year ^_^ So teh Oni is supremely happy!
I believe there were issues with the binders-- if you actually ended up getting your badge you know the one to which I am referring-- I think the person with them was first late, and then there were some unforseen confusions?

I don't know. But the staff badge line really made me mad with how stupidly it was laid out. However, I'm going to take that complaint elsewhere.

On the Video Rooms and Scheduling again. At '05 Fanime there were schedules on the video room posters. They told you what would be played in that room and that room only. I found those more useful than the booklet because it had times and a brief synopsis. I didn't notice that this year. Was I just blind?.
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

topnotch97

Quote from: "E-Chan"
On the Video Rooms and Scheduling again. At '05 Fanime there were schedules on the video room posters. They told you what would be played in that room and that room only. I found those more useful than the booklet because it had times and a brief synopsis. I didn't notice that this year. Was I just blind?.

the signs and schedules were there. unless people stole the posted schedule AGAIN!
:evil: i hate it when people try to rip the schedules from the poster boards, when they can just look at it or even get their own from the info booth.
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

E-Chan

Quote from: "topnotch97"
Quote from: "E-Chan"

the signs and schedules were there. unless people stole the posted schedule AGAIN!
:evil: i hate it when people try to rip the schedules from the poster boards, when they can just look at it or even get their own from the info booth.
I know there were signs, but I saw no sign of schedules. And by that I mean a sheet (or five) of paper that said "Friday ... [list of films] Saturday ... [list of films]... etc."
Watashi wa... Anata no Ushiro...

asianfilm

Quote from: "E-Chan"I know there were signs, but I saw no sign of schedules. And by that I mean a sheet (or five) of paper that said "Friday ... [list of films] Saturday ... [list of films]... etc."

We had these at all the Asian Film Rooms. Did you check the Asian Film Rooms? We always have schedules posted up, complete with summaries, running time, and pictures.
Brandon Tomyoy
Manager, Fanime Asian Film
Stage Zero Personality

Blue-Six

Quote from: "lyricaldanichan"
When this happen to me I asked the guy:

Would you like me to kick you in the balls?

Slightly off topic, but there was a person late Saturday night/Sunday morning who asked to be kicked there.  He was wasted, but that didn't stop people - he took about 20+ kicks, and that giant sword that Pyramid Head was carrying around to the crotch.

The drummer from UP HOLD tried to talk the guy out of it, but he was set on taking hits to 'home base'. XD  And funniest of all, it was recorded.
"The speckle of light present in enclosed darkness."
Fanimecon '10 Volunteers Staff
[Tousen or Bust!]